Bluetooth music

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Bluetooth music

Post by Doug_RS6 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 am

Hi all, looking for a solution for playing music via Bluetooth on my 2008 RS6. Has AMI in the glove box and I assume will be 2g.

Ideally I'd want track information and control through the MMI controls.

Had a search but I'm baffled by all the different information. Ideally I want a simple plug and play and would like to remain connected to the oem Bluetooth for calls etc. Ability to plug in a USB stick or similar would be great as would the ability to charge my phone via USB.

Any help much appreciated.

These are the options I've found so far but I'm not sure if they offer what I want

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-A2 ... 635-2958-0

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMI-2G-MMI-B ... 635-2958-0

Key requirements again are.

A. Retain OEM phone connection for calls as I don't want aftermarket microphones etc.

B. Stream music from my Samsung phone via Bluetooth

C. Ability to charge my Samsung via USB to USB-c cable

D. Plug in a USB hard drive or stick would be an additional bonus.

IanH755
Top Gear

Re: Bluetooth music

Post by IanH755 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Doug_RS6 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:12 am
Ideally I'd want track information and control through the MMI controls.

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMI-2G-MMI-B ... 635-2958-0
I have this eBay BT dongle - it does most of what you asked for (A, B and C) except for two (maybe important) parts -

1. "Ideally I'd want track information and control through the MMI controls" - my version doesn't do this. Instead for me control is through your phone as you've effectively just plugged in an one-way audio source (because of BT) into the "aux" input, so the car has no way of controlling that source. However, my dongle is broke so maybe it should control via MMI, I don't know.

2. "D. Plug in a USB hard drive or stick would be an additional bonus." - The USB socket is needed to power the BT dongle so you can't connect a USB drive (or use the USB to power a phone) AND have BT working. However you can swap between using the USB socket for either charging a phone or connecting a USB drive filled with music (and have full control over MMi) OR alternatively use it ONLY for powering the BT which then does phone, navigation voice and music etc but has no MMi control I think.

Mine arrived "broken" so I only get audio through one side of the car, very low volume etc which is pants and maybe things like MMi control should work but don't, so I went back to my iPod classic for a bit until a new dongle arrives and, other than the lack of Google Maps audio, the iPod still does 99% of everything I want :D
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi thanks for the response. I actually looked at that item as a possible temporary solution. How did you power the dongle? That wire obviously won't reach far and I'd prefer not to have wires trailing around the car anyway.

Is buying an older ipod and just loading music onto it perhaps the best option for integration? Although I really wanted to be able to play YouTube music and Spotify if possible.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:43 pm

Personally I keep it simple, USB adaptor and a 64Gb stick preloaded with tunes plugged in all navigable through the MMI

https://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/produ ... 4f0051510q

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 pm

Oh and worth noting they're a lot cheaper from other sources ;)

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:55 pm

Doug_RS6 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:21 pm
How did you power the dongle? That wire obviously won't reach far and I'd prefer not to have wires trailing around the car anyway.
Unfortunately you need a lead going from a lighter socket/USB power socket to that dongle so you've got leads trailing unless you want to tuck them away under the centre console.
Doug_RS6 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:21 pm
Although I really wanted to be able to play YouTube music and Spotify if possible.
I use an iPod only because I had one. I find that the MMi works "better" with than iPod and is slower (but still works) when using a USB stick so it's personal choice there. However neither will get you Spotify etc, only the BT dongle will do that!
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:50 am

Just to close this up.

I have done the following for anyone wanting to know.

Installed a dual 12v socket in the glove box

Plugged in the Bluetooth dongle to the AMI and USB port

Stream via Spotify etc but have to use phone to control

I plan to add the following

Install wireless charging pad in centre console

Perhaps add a phone holder somewhere convenient to use from the drivers seat to control music.

Geedub
Neutral

Post by Geedub » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Tune2air ..seeing the tracks is an issue, doesn't show with my android but does with my daughter's iPhone.

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Yeah it seems that the whole system MMi is designed to work better with apple products? Unfortunately I can't stand iPhone etc. So I'm happy with my current setup. I had considered one of the 10 inch screen retrofits but they don't quite look OEM enough for my liking.

Happy enough with my current setup and using my phone to control. Considering a discreet phone mount and wireless charger combination to make it a bit more user friendly. Unfortunately the shape and layout of the dash doesn't really leave anywhere good to put a phone mount. If it wasn't for the other functions contained within the screen I'd look at a complete replacement.

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:34 pm

Geedub wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:40 pm
Tune2air ..seeing the tracks is an issue, doesn't show with my android but does with my daughter's iPhone.
yup, really good solution and for c.£100 does the trick (with iPhones) / Audi 2G MMI.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bovee-Tune2Air ... WWLN&psc=1
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Thekla
Neutral

Post by Thekla » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:12 pm

Check out the TuneLink Bluetooth adapter – perfect plug-and-play for your RS6. Gives you track info and MMI control. Bonus: USB and phone charging capabilities!

dlyaverablyamit
Neutral

Post by dlyaverablyamit » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:37 am

The first option you found appears to be a Bluetooth A2DP adapter that connects to the AMI interface in your glove box. This type of adapter allows you to stream music wirelessly from your phone to the car's audio system. However, it's crucial to verify if this adapter is compatible with your 2G MMI system and offers track information and control through the MMI controls.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”