DRC deactivation - am I missing something?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
BobBobson
Neutral

DRC deactivation - am I missing something?

Post by BobBobson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23 pm

I have just bought a ‘58 plate Avant which has had the DRC replaced with some horrible coil overs(that are in dire need of replacement, but that’s another story). Obviously, as a result of the butchery, the DRC light was on.

I keep seeing references on here to the KW blanking plugs to fool the DRC into thinking the dampers are there and keep the warning light off, but my logic was that the cheaper 4F cars came without DRC so the modules must be able to operate with ‘normal suspension’.

Using VCDS I’ve coded out the suspension module altogether so there’s no warning light on the dash or redundant ride control setting on the MMI. Is there any reason to prefer the use of the KW plugs over this approach or is it just that very few people replace the DRC on these cars so no one has taken the time to play around with the coding? I’m loath to spend £400 on a couple of resistors if I’m honest!

Phuketpaul
1st Gear

Re: DRC deactivation - am I missing something?

Post by Phuketpaul » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forum and the joys of RS6 ownership.

The DRC is a separate system to the adjustable damping. The DRC is purely mechanical in operation and the adjustable damping obviously uses electronic control, hence the MMI. So I assume you have coded out the adjustable suspension not the DRC.

Having said that if you've coded out the error and the MMI I see no need for the blanking plugs.

Seems like your main issue is what to replace your current suspension with!
2010 RS6 plus Avant, MRC Stage 2 747bhp 1059Nm
2008 Aston Martin DBS Volante
2001 Discovery 2

BobBobson
Neutral

Post by BobBobson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi Paul,

You’re right, the electronics are for damping adjustment of course. I think because it’s all in the same unit I confuse the DRC and the variable damping.

Currently bouncing between KW V3 and Bilstein B16 as a replacement, although bouncing might not be the right word to use!

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 am

Good to know the error and the redundant setting can be coded out. I currently have fully working DRC but have considered coilovers although I worry that with stuff in the boot or passengers that the rear will sag. There are so few of these cars out there that often stuff is untested in the real world.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”