Clicking relay in boot of Avant

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
pimpinyourmum
1st Gear

Clicking relay in boot of Avant

Post by pimpinyourmum » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi all

My car has developed an annoying clicking from the luggage compartment of my 09 Avant.

When turning the car off there is around 10 seconds or so of silence and then I hear something 'click/power down' and then starts a rhythmic but quite loud ticking sound from what sounds like the boot relays (driver side of boot behind the removable cover).

I've climbed into the boot myself and locked myself in and the clicking continues (I hoped it might stop once the car was locked but doesn't).

Does anyone know what the various relays in the boot do?

I have Googled and googled, and even resorted to sodding You Tube but I can't find the answer. Plenty of resource to show what the fuses do but not the relays and other switches.

I'm concerned this relay will be slowly but surely draining my battery :(

Thanks in advance :boots:
09 RS6 C6 Avant
Too many classic/modern classics

ruedisrs6
Neutral

Re: Clicking relay in boot of Avant

Post by ruedisrs6 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm

How many relays do you have in the boot? I have in my 2008 two of the same type on the left and the right relay socket. The socket in the middle is empty. The left one is for the heated rear window. The right is officially called a break relay. The official documentation is very confusing in our cars, because it states that the middle socket should be the fuel pump relay, which is not true, because this is located in the box on the left in the water box. I did some experiments when I tried to follow the official procedure to relief the pressure from the high pressure fuel pumps and as far as I remember, when I pulled the right relay, the car did not start the next time. Maybe you want to the same and simply check, what happens when you pull the clicking relay.

I hope this helps somehow. Maybe someone else here knows more details.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”