Propshaft

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
ATinOf
3rd Gear

Propshaft

Post by ATinOf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Having put up with having to drive like aunt daisy for quite a few months or suffer a thud thud thud oscillation from the underside, I bit the bullet last month and replaced the propshaft wholesale with the complete Audi replacement unit. These bu*%£$ggers are not cheap at 1495 plus VAT, although my friendly parts guy did stump up 10 percent discount on the order. On the plus side it comes with the end faces pre-greased (but not with gaskets, and not with replacement self locking bolts!)

Its so nice to be able to use my heavy right boot as its supposed to be used again ;)

If anyone wants the old propshaft to effect a repair using the polish sourced rubber mounted centre bearing off fleabay make me a reasonable offer before I list it.....
At 50 quid for the fleabay special bearings its a cheap option but you have to split the prop shaft to fit them.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Re: Propshaft

Post by ATinOf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:34 pm

Here're some pics of the old one for those interested...

The CV joints at both ends are in excellent condition, the part number is clearly shown

Per_S
Neutral

Post by Per_S » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 am

You replaced it only because if the center bearing? There are easier, seemingly higher quality too, options than buying the bearing and splitting the propshaft.

https://kawemila.jimdofree.com/english/home/

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 am

Certainly easier than removing and splitting the shaft. Considering the lack of elbow room even with the heat shield removed I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near the 20 minutes mentioned for a C6. At current exchange rates it's not much more expensive than a quality bearing - OK, it's around twice the price of the aforementioned Ebay offerings but with them you have to factor in the extra work involved and the price of 12 mounting bolts.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am

Per_S wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 am
There are easier, seemingly higher quality too, options than buying the bearing and splitting the propshaft.
While this option is undoubtedly easier, I cant agree its higher quality. There is no bond to the outer race of the bearing, this relies purely on friction for that role, and we all know silicone is a very low friction material. I would not believe that these units are good for the declared 100000km without evidence to support that claim. This is the kind of part Id carry in the toolbox on a top gear special, but I wouldnt rely on it as a permanent fix.

If like me you make full use of the car every day you come to accept the steep cost for maintaining the dynamic components (but still whine about it!).
IMHO Whilst the Audi unit is arguably a weak spot of the car, its relative, we all know they are typically good for around the 100000mile mark.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 am

The job took me an hour or so Jim, mostly juggling the new one while keeping it straight (strapped a piece of wood across the mid coupling) fitting it between the exhaust. That's with the benefit of a friends pit. Id only dropped the mid section hangars behind the exhaust splits, if I was to do it again Id probably drop the whole rear of the exhaust out the way.

Not that i'm expecting to be doing it again ;)

Per_S
Neutral

Post by Per_S » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 pm

ATinOf wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am
Per_S wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 am
There are easier, seemingly higher quality too, options than buying the bearing and splitting the propshaft.
While this option is undoubtedly easier, I cant agree its higher quality. There is no bond to the outer race of the bearing, this relies purely on friction for that role, and we all know silicone is a very low friction material. I would not believe that these units are good for the declared 100000km without evidence to support that claim. This is the kind of part Id carry in the toolbox on a top gear special, but I wouldnt rely on it as a permanent fix.

If like me you make full use of the car every day you come to accept the steep cost for maintaining the dynamic components (but still whine about it!).
IMHO Whilst the Audi unit is arguably a weak spot of the car, its relative, we all know they are typically good for around the 100000mile mark.
I read reviews from Porsche drivers before buying, they were happy after 20000-30000 km. I didn't find anyone who had driven more but also no complaints about failures.
It doesn't rely on friction, it's kept in place by zip ties.

If I were to pick a "real" center bearing I would probabky try this. https://www.jxbperformance.com/products ... er-upgrade

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Zip ties to the outer mount but friction to the bearing. However, the instructions specify leaving a thin layer of the original rubber on both the bearing and mount so it shouldn't be silicone to metal. Think I'd fit a quality replacement bearing.

welwynnick
4th Gear

Post by welwynnick » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to split the prop-shaft in the middle?

thanks, Nick

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:50 am

welwynnick wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:19 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to split the prop-shaft in the middle?

thanks, Nick
Yeap, it's been done at least once on here the owner themselves and a few others have said they've had various shops do it for them. The issue was always "do you need to balance it afterwards" but the general consensus was, if you're just replacing the centre bushing and you're careful, you shouldn't need to rebalance it post rebuild.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Ranger4130
Neutral

Post by Ranger4130 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 am

www.jxbperformance.com/products/c6-driv ... er-upgrade

I’ve got one of these for mine. It’s at the end of my latest list of jobs todo.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”