Side indicator error

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Side indicator error

Post by Doug_RS6 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:57 pm

Having an issue with my indicators occasionally.

Recently fitted some dynamic style indicators to the mirrors and I seem to now get an error message saying "right/left side indicator" on the little graphic though its showing the headlamp area. It's not every time and as far as I'm aware the original indicators are led too so.

Quite likely that it is the new indicators as they are aftermarket. But obviously designed for this car all of which would be CANBUS so surely canbus compliant. Can this error be changed on VCDS?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Side indicator error

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 pm

Standard indicators in the headlights should be 21w silver incandescent lamps not LEDs. I'd suspect the new indicators - I got some canbus LEDs for the number plate lights when one of what I'd assumed to be the original bulbs failed - turned out not only was it an afternarket LED that had failed but canbus 'compliant' varies wildly across manufacturers. One thing I've noticed is that when the running lights are on one of the new led units flashes on for a second or so about once every 20 seconds.

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Sorry I should of been clearer. Its the strip indicator on the mirror I've replaced

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:17 am

Ah, got it. My comment about you new units and canbus 'compliant' still stands. I suspect that the error is being thrown by a lower level current draw - the standard strips light all leds at once whereas the sweep function only lights a few at a time. Do you get the warning when using (or having just used) the indicators or does it appear at random intervals?

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:01 pm

It happens when used. But not all the time. It's very irritating. Mostly because they are significantly brighter and therefor better than the oem ones. I suppose I could just solder in some resistors and hope that it solves the issue. I can easily measure the resistance in each although your point about varying current draw on the dynamics may be an issue as they may not work with resistors in place.

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 pm

So drove for about 2 hours today. And it didn't do it once. Then got back in the car and it did the first time I indicated. The only difference being the first time itbwas daylight and the headlights were off. The second time it was dark and they were on. Then put he headlights from auto to on and the indicators were fine for a while but then started throwing errors. Once the error is there, the indicators only flash 5 times before they stop working each time they are activated.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”