Need your thoughts for a purches

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
holmgren_
Neutral

Need your thoughts for a purches

Post by holmgren_ » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm

I'm in the market to buy a C6 RS6 or rather have been for a few years now while looking for the right one..

I currently look at a -09 saloon.
2 owners, 6 with dealers included.
I Hate the mileage: 240 537km ~ 149 462miles but it has other things I more or less demand like the suzuka grey color and a few other things.
It has the MTM 730hp software with an MTM exhaust, carbon splitter and diffuser witch I more or less also demand in the C6 RS6 since MRC are extremly rare in Sweden..

However.. The car is priced at 239 900 SEK, about £21 047.55. The dealer has lowerd the price due to the 50p seal has gone..
The gearbox had a repair at 160 000km ~ 99 419miles witch kind of feels scary considering the car has almost done that distance again. Niether the dealer or the privious owner can tell me if the gearbox has the MTM software or not and MTM are for some reason not responding to emails.

To make it short I would say that the car is ner perfect for my demands exept the mileage, standard seats, 50p seal has gone and some other small not importent things and the fact that it is a saloon (really like the estate). About that, does anyone "know" how the saloon vs estate holds it's value for the future? Have never figured that out.

I would like to know your thoughts about buying this car at this price since the 50p seal has gone = leaking oil, the gearbox repair at ~99 419miles and the fact that they don't let anyone test drive the car, I can add that I've been and looked at the car three times, 2hours each time = 6 hours total so they must know that im serious..

Correct me if I'm wrong but i feel 190 000SEK ~ £16 669.59 would be a more fair price considering what needs to be done, the mileage and the fact that I can't test drive the car.
I might ad that the car looks really really good considering the mileage and has a very well documented history. I will post some pictures when I connect the phone to the computer but until that you can check out the ad at the link below. Bare in mind that the ad is in Swedish and the pictures are not all that good.

https://www.blocket.se/annons/jonkoping ... _/91730859

Ps. I might have forgot something above but I'm sure you either will ask or point it out if thats the case.
Last but not least.. I appologise for my bad knowledge of the english languege..

/ Jakob

welwynnick
4th Gear

Re: Need your thoughts for a purches

Post by welwynnick » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Are you in Sweden by any chance? By British standards that seems like a high price for a high mileage car, but maybe it's good value in Sweden? Do you know how many C6 RS6 there in Sweden? Are there any others for sale? We're a predominantly British forum, and it's difficult to know what used car values are like elsewhere.

Nick

RS6-T28RPH
2nd Gear

Post by RS6-T28RPH » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:38 pm

MY car is at 154k miles and would say its worth no more than £15k on a good day. Basically had to replace the whole PCV system to date as its brittle and knackered but rest of the car has just had the usual consumables associated with operating a v10 oven.

My gearbox is still holding out although when cold does have a few slipping issues but will be shortly going for conversion by RE Performance along with TTE1000 turbos and Radtec ICs :-)

I would say your luck will be based on how much time the car has spent running in high ambient temps such as traffic, I would guess in Sweeden you benefit from colder temps so that would lend itself to protecting a bit more of the car?
Esben Business IT Solutions - http://www.esben.co.uk
Esben Remapping - http://remap.esben.co.uk

2015 BMW X6 M50d (wife-transport, not allowed to touch :cry: )
2008 RS6 Avant Phantom Black - MRC Stage2 (ecu, tcu & 2nd cat bypass) 730 PS/1017 nm
2006 BMW 535d Pre-LCI - Stage 1 (340bhp)
2003 VW Polo 1.4Tdi (3pot shitbox) tuning project, was 73bhp, now 120bhp, aiming for 160bhp before it goes bang! (put in the bin)

cammmy
2nd Gear

Post by cammmy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm a bit late to this party but to be honest, by UK standards, that's a poor deal. I also hugely distrust anyone who won't let you test drive a car.

When it comes to buying used cars that are fairly rare, being hyper specific about your requirements will hurt you. Can you buy a standard one and do the rest yourself? Or do you reeeeaaaaally need all of that exact trim? You will either end up waiting forever or paying over the odds (or both). Obviously everything is subjective but I would take mechanical quality over aesthetic extras.

Could you find one in another EU country and import it? That widens your net by a lot.

jbourne
2nd Gear

Post by jbourne » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 am

Yup. That seems like an insanely high price.

Why not get a LHD one from Japan? $25K USD gets you a ~60-70k kms with zero rust, or if you go up to 30-35K then frequently single owner with history, and although you may run into the oil leak, at least the car will be clean as hell otherwise (and the trim in Japan is a much higher one than elsewhere - solar roof, carbon interior, rear sunshades etc). Add around $800 for Trup’s work to make the headlights LHD + shipping and legalisation and for 30-40K you’d have a VERY low mileage car. Just a thought.

Phuketpaul
1st Gear

Post by Phuketpaul » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 pm

jbourne wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 am

Why not get a LHD one from Japan?
Do you mean RHD?
2010 RS6 plus Avant, MRC Stage 2 747bhp 1059Nm
2008 Aston Martin DBS Volante
2001 Discovery 2

jbourne
2nd Gear

Post by jbourne » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Phuketpaul wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 pm
jbourne wrote:

Do you mean RHD?
Nope. LHD. Because he was from Sweden, I’m not sure they can import RHD cars. Japan typically has about a 50/50 mix of LHD/RHD RS6s come up for sale, with LHD ones commanding a slight premium. This is because they’re considered the more “elite” cars, also a definition that generally extends to ALL Japanese market cars - if a car is available in both LHD and RHD (ie Porsches, BMWs etc), it will be often offered by local selling dealers brand new, but the LHD one is the “I have money and imported it from Europe” version, even it’s generally false - for instance, in the case of the C6 RS6, all RS6s for sale in Japan were imported around 2008/2009 by Audi of Japan (2010 for the Plus), there are virtually no privately grey market imported ones, it was too niche a car. This is easy to tell because EVERY SINGLE RS6, LHD or RHD, is EXACTLY the same spec in Japan (as I wrote above, carbon interior / solar roof / shades / sonar radar / etc.

Phuketpaul
1st Gear

Post by Phuketpaul » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:13 pm

jbourne wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:52 pm
Phuketpaul wrote:
jbourne wrote:

Do you mean RHD?
Nope. LHD. Because he was from Sweden, I’m not sure they can import RHD cars. Japan typically has about a 50/50 mix of LHD/RHD RS6s come up for sale,
Interesting, the cars I previously imported from Japan were all Japanese manufactured cars and all RHD and as Japan drives on the left I assumed all cars from Japan were RHD. Good to know, Thanks
2010 RS6 plus Avant, MRC Stage 2 747bhp 1059Nm
2008 Aston Martin DBS Volante
2001 Discovery 2

jbourne
2nd Gear

Post by jbourne » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Phuketpaul wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:13 pm
jbourne wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:52 pm
Phuketpaul wrote:

Do you mean RHD?
Nope. LHD. Because he was from Sweden, I’m not sure they can import RHD cars. Japan typically has about a 50/50 mix of LHD/RHD RS6s come up for sale,
Interesting, the cars I previously imported from Japan were all Japanese manufactured cars and all RHD and as Japan drives on the left I assumed all cars from Japan were RHD. Good to know, Thanks
Yep - JDM cars are a great source for the UK with them being RHD and all, but there's a whole slew of LHD vehicles there that are in relatively decent condition that are begging to be exported (though one should never be under the woefully incorrect assumption that "because" the Japanese are all diligent folks and "because" their road test is strict, all cars out of Japan will be mint condition low mileage dream cars - they are not, it is not, and they won't be, in that order, lol). I digress tho, that can be a whole other thread :D

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:41 am

Two problems with Japanese home market cars - the speedos are Km and because the country is remarkably hilly the final drive ratios are quite low. True, the driving test is strict - well, 'strange' is more correct - if you don't drive EXACTLY as the examiners want (which means slowly and cautiously) then you fail. When you fail (and you will) you then have to have more lessons - usually at a driving school associated with the test centre, which just happens to be run by an retired examiner from the centre. There are ways around it, for instance you can bribe pay the driving school for a certificate stating that you've attended the required course and hey presto, you'll pass your next test no matter how you drive. That means that some Japanese drive like they're scared to death and other drive like nutters.
My daughter has spent 2 and a half years living there - luckily as she has a full UK licence and there's a UK/Sino licence agreement she was able to drive for a year on an international driving permit and got a Gaimen Kirikae by using taking her UK licence and a Japanese translation of it to a test centre. She was rather annoyed that because her current passport was issued shortly before she moved there they wouldn't accept that she had been resident in the UK for more than 3 months after she passed her test so spent a year with a Shoshin Untensha Hyōshiki (new driver) Sticker on her car. As there's no similar agreement between the USA and Japan her American friends all had to jump through the hoops of the official test.

inderkumar
Neutral

Post by inderkumar » Tue May 30, 2023 5:30 pm

Apologies for the late response, but I wanted to chime in and offer my thoughts. When it comes to purchasing a C6 RS6, it's important to consider all aspects, including mileage, repairs, and pricing. While the car seems to meet many of your desired features, the high mileage and gearbox repair can be a bit concerning. It's unfortunate that you can't test drive the car, as that would provide valuable insight into its condition. But as far as I know, motorcycle transport companies can test a car before shipping it. You can double-check this info by visiting their webpage. Regarding the price, your suggested offer seems more reasonable considering the work that needs to be done and the uncertainties surrounding the gearbox software. Ultimately, it's crucial to weigh the pros and cons and decide if the car aligns with your expectations and budget. Don't hesitate to negotiate or explore other options if needed.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:01 pm

RS6-T28RPH wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:38 pm
MY car is at 154k miles and would say its worth no more than £15k on a good day. Basically had to replace the whole PCV system to date as its brittle and knackered but rest of the car has just had the usual consumables associated with operating a v10 oven.

My gearbox is still holding out although when cold does have a few slipping issues but will be shortly going for conversion by RE Performance along with TTE1000 turbos and Radtec ICs :-)

I would say your luck will be based on how much time the car has spent running in high ambient temps such as traffic, I would guess in Sen you benefit from colder temps so that would lend itself to protecting a bit more of the car?
Conversion will not fix your slipping issue; I suggest you fix this first before the conversion or you may find that a complete wasted expense

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:10 pm

I dont know why theres a dogma around a gearbox repair, i did mine at 57k and now at 115k still going strong. An early problem does not mean a problem box. And although it will cost around 2.5k in parts you can refurbish them yourself

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”