Diy oil pump removal?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Steve swb
Neutral

Re: Diy oil pump removal?

Post by Steve swb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Prices are much cheaper at Scuderia. All part numbers are the same. Audi are definitely greedy.

Steve swb
Neutral

Post by Steve swb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:18 pm

Does anyone replace the shaft,tube and flange when doing this?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:23 am

I didn't. For peace of mind I checked how tight the tube fitted into the o rings before I reassembled things. Cleaning the old sealant from the face of the chain drive was a bit of a pain. Take care when ordering parts from Scuderia as sometimes they'll only supply a package quantity, such as listing the price for a single part but having an order quantity of 5 for instance.
Where Audi prices are concerned, a lot can depend on your relationship with the parts department as some of them can be quite flexible with discounts.

Steve swb
Neutral

Post by Steve swb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:32 pm

I’ve just removed mine and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Does anyone have the torque and sequence to tighten the bolts. Doing the crank seal as well and found the Lamborghini symbol.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 pm

13 bolts, all 9Nm (I think). Numbering the bolts with #1 at the front (pulley end) of the engine, the sequence is:
7, 6, 8, 9, 5, 12, 11, 10, 3, 4, 13, 2, 1

Steve swb
Neutral

Post by Steve swb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks Jim. All bolted back up now.

Paulrs6v10
Neutral

Post by Paulrs6v10 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:10 pm

Fancy doing mine?😂
I’ve literally no idea how to do it!
So mine will have to go to a garage. Struggle finding a decent Indy around my way (derby if anyone knows of anywhere?)
Am I right in thinking it’s worth having the coolant pipes that are prone to corroding done as well as all the other seals whilst it’s apart?
Also what’s everyone’s thoughts on expected cost?
Sorry to hijack!.

Steve swb
Neutral

Post by Steve swb » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:46 pm

It’s really not that bad a job. Just lots of bits. I had to do it in between jobs at work. I don’t mind doing jobs like this. Shame I’m not closer. I’m doing the crank pulley seal at the same time so have to wait until Saturday to put the rest back together.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:18 am

If the coolant pipes are scabby then I'd do them as well. Although both jobs can be done with the engine in place the pipes are a lot easier with the engine either completely out or dropped and pulled forwards a bit and considering the amount of stuff you need to remove to get to the pump and give you room to work you're pretty much most of the way there.
I did my pipes with the engine in place but it wasn't easy and took me about as long as it would have done if I'd dropped the engine, mostly because the hose clip at the far end of the long pipe was almost impossible to reach and breaking the seal there between the pipe and hose was more than difficult. It was when I dropped the engine to sort my pump and turbos a couple of years later that I saw how much access there then was to the clip and gave myself a good kicking for not dropping the engine in the first place.
The pipes took me about 30 hours (5 days of approx 6 hours) of which probably 10 were spent dealing with the aforementioned hose and it's clip. Can't say how long it takes me to do the engine out/in as both times it's been spread out while doing other things and dodging the weather.

douglas96
2nd Gear

Post by douglas96 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 pm

I was watching a video on the internet about the dry sump oil pumps on the Audi V10 engines by REPerformance ( link to video) and I noticed at the 15 minute mark it was mentioned that the bolts securing the coolant thermostat housing to the coolant pump housing, and the coolant pump housing to the oil pump housing are prone to seizing in place.

I see that it has been mentioned in a couple of posts that this has happened to people. What was the remedy?

And has anyone tried reassembling them together with an anti galvanic corrosion paste (I know that torque settings would have to be reduced)? If so what were the results?

I am curious to know of any tips regarding removal of the corroded bolts in the oil pump as I wouldn't particularly want to end up getting the bolts removed by metal disintegration if at all avoidable, as no doubt I will one day end up doing this job.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:44 pm

Evening gents

I'm after a bit of info if possible, couldn't see anything directly related from a quick search

A mate has done the oil pump seal as he had an oil leak and he can’t get it to make oil pressure now it’s rebuilt.

Is there a method for priming the oil pump or any ways to bleed the oil system?

Or is there any tricky procedures for getting oil pressure up after carrying out the pump seal replacement?

Thanks for any advice!

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:17 pm

Silly question - Can you ask your mate to make sure that when the pump module was refitted, the oil pump shaft was pushed fully onto the splines from the engine block.

***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:20 am

No special procedure and no priming required - the pump is the lowest part of the lubrication system so in effect self-primes when the oil is added. I'd concur with Ian's suspicion that the drive shaft hasn't been fitted correctly.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 pm

Jim Haseltine wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:20 am
No special procedure and no priming required - the pump is the lowest part of the lubrication system so in effect self-primes when the oil is added. I'd concur with Ian's suspicion that the drive shaft hasn't been fitted correctly.
IanH755 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:17 pm
Silly question - Can you ask your mate to make sure that when the pump module was refitted, the oil pump shaft was pushed fully onto the splines from the engine block.

Thanks for the replies gents I'll pass the info along and hopefully it's something that simple. Much appreciated

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:10 pm

So the above pump shaft doesn't look to be the issue, the front most part of the oil pump has been pulled apart to replace the racetrack seal.

https://imgur.com/a/Ap5OsLU

The issue is the plunger and spring combo circled in the linked images

Would any of you experienced hands know should there be anything other than the spring and plunger within that slot?

Thanks

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”