Correct bedding procedure for Pagid discs and ATE pads?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
jbourne
2nd Gear

Correct bedding procedure for Pagid discs and ATE pads?

Post by jbourne » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm really confused about this. Is it:

- slow drive, hold brakes while accelerating, until they heat up, do this a few times, then coast for a while to cool down and done, or
- go on a quiet highway, speed up to 100mph, hard brake to 30, repeat 4-5 times, then coast for ~30 mins to cool brakes down
- or do nothing and just apply brakes gently for the first 500 miles?

These are the three procedures I've come across. Which is right? This is for Pagid discs and ATE pads.

IanH755
Top Gear

Re: Correct bedding procedure for Pagid discs and ATE pads?

Post by IanH755 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:24 am

There's different versions for the different types of pad/disc you can buy, hence the confusion.

I've only seen options 1 & 2 recommended for race or semi-race brake systems like AP Racing discs/pads etc and I personally use option 2 on my 410mm AP Racing Caliper/Disc/Pad setup but from 70mph to 10mph. Option 3 however is the preferred method for "normal" or "everyday" brakes like you'd get on a 2L family car for example which aren't going top get hammered.

The Pagid discs are OE spec but I personally found that the OEM discs they are based on were awful once the car was pushed hard but are fine if driven like an A6 with very limited hard braking (just a few times every 30 mins etc).
The ATE pads are also OE spec but, again, if pushed hard they fall apart quickly but are fine if you drive like an A6 with only very limited hard braking).

So for the Audi OEM stuff and the aftermarket OE stuff I'd use Option 3 - For the aftermarket uprated stuff (AP Racing etc) I'd use option 2.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

jbourne
2nd Gear

Post by jbourne » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:34 am

Thanks, appreciate it! That’s what I’ll do then. I was going to get AP discs and proper pads this round based on your advice, but no track time foreseen for the next set of pads because of where I live, so I cheaped out and went OEM (and CP4L has the rotors for so, so much less than AP this round!).

Maddy
Neutral

Post by Maddy » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:15 am

Hi ,

I am from Australia and low drive, "hold brakes while accelerating, until they heat up, do this a few times, then coast for a while to cool down and done" this is the right the way to find the correct bedding
best online store for bedding https://www.elanlinen.com.au/ in Australia

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”