Prospective ownership questions?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Albigularis
Neutral

Prospective ownership questions?

Post by Albigularis » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 pm

So I've been reading lots about these C6 RS6s with a view to buying one early next year. I have a fair few questions about them, and the knowledge base here seems pretty good. So off we go!

I've looked at every C6 for sale on Autotrader/eBay/Gumtree for the last 3 months or so, I have yet to see one with the Bang & Olufsen system. Was it not available on this car?

MRC's well-known tuning setup - Downpipes seem to be the next step after the normal filter/pre-cat and map. Is there an intercooler setup available to get a little bit more from the car? I have seen talk, but nothing definitive? Seems like the upgrade path is the filters/pre-cats -> downpipes, then straight to 900+bhp with a load of custom work?

Oil pump seal - I know this is an expensive fix, but after the first time of having the seal done, is it a mileage or time-related fix? Ie - how often would it then need done going forward? I've seen a few mentions of it being done with the engine still in? Likewise for the intercooler pipes which corrode, or is it better changing them to hoses as I've seen suggested a few times?

MMI Systems - is bluetooth streaming only possible on the 3g High system? It seems to only be on the 2010 cars?

TFSI engines - Do these engines suffer the same issues as the smaller FSI/TFSI with the carbon build up?

I'll likely have a lot more questions, but I'll try not start a megathread :lol:.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Prospective ownership questions?

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:55 pm

I don't know of anybody who has had the oil seal done twice - yet. As it seems to be a combination of both age and mileage related problem I'd expect to see some of the cars that had the job done early in their life coming around for a second time over the next few years. Where the coolant pipes (not intercooler pipes) are concerned a lot will depend on how well the coating on replacements stands up to use - the Audi coating is less than effective, I had mine powder coated as I'm looking at hanging on to my car for sometime but I'll still be keeping a close eye on them.

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 pm

B&O isn't an option, it's BOSE, and it is pretty good imo. For over 800bhp you're going to need very deep pockets. Gearbox will need uprating at £5k+ HPFP's, injectors, intercoolers, turbos 3"+ exhaust, you're talking well up to £20k.

Theyre amazing cars to own, I've just sold mine as was thinking of getting a C7, but they're so hard to replace. Especially considering a C7 is twice the price!

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 pm

When I was in with MRC Dave one of the mechanics seemed to believe once the oil seal was done it wouldn't need done again, I think he thought there was a poor compound used for the o ring in production which was revised.

I had mine replaced at around 155k miles for the first time, and use it daily however if I go down the route of hybrid turbos and the engine comes back out I'll probably have a new one put in just because

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:33 am

Stiggles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 pm
When I was in with MRC Dave one of the mechanics seemed to believe once the oil seal was done it wouldn't need done again, I think he thought there was a poor compound used for the o ring in production which was revised.
Having done the job myself and compared the oil and new seals, until people start reporting that the job has been done a second time I'd be happy to run with that theory, replacing my previous thoughts that the seals were being cooked by hot oil.
The seal I dug out was square in section and seemed to be a brittle plastic whereas the replacement was circular in section and a very flexible rubber-like material, not dissimilar to the seal at the other end of the shaft cover. As the cover is approx 3" long with approx 2mm thick wall if there was enough heat at one end to cook one seal so comprehensively I'd have expected the same or similar at the other end but the old front seal was in a condition such that it could have been reused.

Albigularis
Neutral

Post by Albigularis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Interesting development regarding the seals. Puts my mind fairly at ease about them, possibly do the same for others.
Toady1 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 pm
B&O isn't an option, it's BOSE, and it is pretty good imo. For over 800bhp you're going to need very deep pockets. Gearbox will need uprating at £5k+ HPFP's, injectors, intercoolers, turbos 3"+ exhaust, you're talking well up to £20k.
Looks like I'll just do with the downpipes then, I'm sure 800 will keep me entertained for a while...

For the audio side of things, I'm probably going to run some sort of full Focal system in the car. I may run it separate to the MMI system, as it doesn't seem to have digital or line-level output, or bluetooth input, unless I opt for a 2010 model, though they do command a slight premium.

FUBAR
1st Gear

Post by FUBAR » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 pm

Albigularis wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 pm
For the audio side of things, I'm probably going to run some sort of full Focal system in the car. I may run it separate to the MMI system, as it doesn't seem to have digital or line-level output, or bluetooth input, unless I opt for a 2010 model, though they do command a slight premium.
A few solutions for your audio out problem:
https://mobridge.us/product-category/a ... tegration/

https://www.kufatec.com/en/car-hifi/au ... i-2g-41606
08 RS6 by Reperformance, MRC MAP. 977 PS - 1320 Nm.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:29 am

One of these makes for less mucking about if you're happy with the audio quality

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B52LLJ6/ ... PDbDCVF5T6

I've one, and aside from the occasional connection issue it works excellently

Albigularis
Neutral

Post by Albigularis » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 am

FUBAR wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 pm
Albigularis wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 pm
A few solutions for your audio out problem:
https://mobridge.us/product-category/a ... tegration/

https://www.kufatec.com/en/car-hifi/au ... i-2g-41606
Very cool bit of kit, takes the digital signal from the on board system, puts it through a decent DAC, gives lots of analogue output channels. PC-led adjustments are really cool too. This seems perfect for the setup I want to do. Now just to start looking into stealth subwoofer setups, and where I can hide 4 amps :lol:.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:06 am

The best sounds are those from the V10 but there's loads of room under the false floor in the boot if you don't have a spare wheel and create custom storage for the pump and sealant container. There might be a problem with cooling though.

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Jim Haseltine wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:06 am
The best sounds are those from the V10 but there's loads of room under the false floor in the boot if you don't have a spare wheel and create custom storage for the pump and sealant container. There might be a problem with cooling though.
+1 for sound (of V10 :notworthy: ).
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Numero9
Neutral

Post by Numero9 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am

I too have a question on ownership, many of the cars are becoming modified with less stock are there common items which people change e.g. replacing exhaust or DRC which is common and not really to be concerned over?

I also worry about the theft risk. Read so many stories on golf Rs/S3s as well as some fast mercs & RS4. Not too happy having at the daily for the Mrs if it's going to be targeted.

Albigularis
Neutral

Post by Albigularis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:02 am

Numero9 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am
I too have a question on ownership, many of the cars are becoming modified with less stock are there common items which people change e.g. replacing exhaust or DRC which is common and not really to be concerned over?

I also worry about the theft risk. Read so many stories on golf Rs/S3s as well as some fast mercs & RS4. Not too happy having at the daily for the Mrs if it's going to be targeted.
The DRC doesn't seem to be an issue as much on these C6 models, unlike the previous C5. It's not completely faultless, but not a timebomb waiting to happen at least. I notice lots of modified exhausts too, usually milltek catback systems. Standard items are absolutely fine, they're just adding a bit more drama to the car!

Theft risk doesn't concern me. The C6 is such an understated car, if you remove the RS6 badges on the grille and the rear tailgate I'd bet on the vast majority of even "car people" walking right by it, thinking it's just an A6.

I've started a spreadsheet of every C6 I've seen for sale, detailing price, mileage, condition, etc... for later bargaining purposes :D

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am

It’s twice as cheaper to insure (at least for me) than X5 or any other SUV around.

Last time i spoke to insurer/s, they all claim it’s a rarity, super expensive to run and that is kept by enthusiasts or those in mid life crisis... as such, we won’t charge you a premium to keep it running! 😂😂😂
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Numero9
Neutral

Post by Numero9 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 am

So apart from the oil seal & coolant pipes is there anything else to look out for? Will take a torch and look underneath it for any oil leaks.

I know rust isn't a common problem on these.

Also trying to get hold of QuattroDan as I've seen his previous car and wanted more info about it but no response yet.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”