Brake vibration

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
timthetooth
Neutral

Brake vibration

Post by timthetooth » Tue May 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi chaps.

I had my front discs (from Audi) replaced about a 1000 miles ago, and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I could not really bed them in as described on here at the time as it was slippery on the roads, and to much traffic. I then developed a vibration through the steering wheel while braking, worse at about 45mph, nothing below 35mph. I then tried to bed them in by braking several times from about 80mph down to 30, but this has not got rid of the problem. I have put an old pair of discs back on, but the problem remains.
My question is, can I re-bed these pads in, and if so how? If not, how do people get these Ferodo pads to bed in from new without being arrested!
Looking forward to hearing your views as this vibration is spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

Tim

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Re: Brake vibration

Post by c3nturi0n » Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Rarely (but it happens) is that the part/s could be faulty.

Best way to check is to take it back to the garage (assuming someone did this work for you) to check them out or if it was diy'd then you may want to get in touch with supplier.
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm

If you've put old discs back on and you've still got vibration I'd suggest you take a look at suspension bushes and ball joints, especially as you say there's no vibration at lower speeds.

timthetooth
Neutral

Post by timthetooth » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

All joints have been checked and some replaced about a year ago Jim. Pads may have been from a bad batch, difficult to prove though.
I took the car out last night and did lots of 60mph to 20 brakes. The only effect was the pedal eventually became a little soft , vibration actually seemed to get worse :-(

welwynnick
4th Gear

Post by welwynnick » Wed May 15, 2019 8:01 am

Most likely explanation for brake vibration when the discs have been replaced is dirt and corrosion between the hub and the disc. The mating surfaces have to be spotless.

Nick

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:23 am

IF you've swapped the discs and its still doing it then it doesn't point towards warped discs. Pads will not cause this effect as they're the static part. The only thing I can assume is as said above, the hub and disc isn't flat perfectly, making the disc position in the caliper move as it rotates, causing the warping effect and judder. I'd take it all apart, clean mating surfaces thoroughly with brake cleaner and a rag, and reassemble.

You can lightly rough up the pad surface again with some sandpaper to start the bedding in process again. But I think its a fitment issue you have.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”