Prop shaft (new questions)

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Prop shaft (new questions)

Post by Doug_RS6 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi.

Can anyone tell me how firm the prop shaft centre bearing should be? Should there be any movement by shaking it by hand? I'm getting a bad vibration at 60mph and over. All the wheels have been balanced.

IanH755
Top Gear

Re: Prop shaft (new questions)

Post by IanH755 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:02 pm

Very little movement (under 5mm total) and with absolutely no tearing of the rubber. If you can do this

then it's buggered! :D
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks I'll check. I've found a place near Edinburgh (Falkirk to be exact) that has refurbished several VAG propshafts and quoted £200 for that. Not including removal and refitting which I'd do myself. Most competent home mechanics could do that.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 am

Doug_RS6 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:49 pm
Thanks I'll check. I've found a place near Edinburgh (Falkirk to be exact) that has refurbished several VAG propshafts and quoted £200 for that. Not including removal and refitting which I'd do myself. Most competent home mechanics could do that.
Just make sure the shaft itself is in good condition, I had the carrier bearing replaced on mine, only to be greeted with a constant rattle/clinking, had the car on the lift and discovered the internals had disintegrated.

If you twist the shaft back and forth in the manner which it's intended ie rotate, and you hear rattling within it could be totally buggered. You'll be able to tell once the shaft is off anyway, but I don't think mine developed till afterwards, so possibly down to the company which split the shaft.

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:38 am

Also just a thought. Somewhat crude and not really what I'm sure most people would be happy with. You can buy the materials to make new bushings in liquid form. Could be another option.

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Couldn't feel any play. Could move it slightly but it felt normal.

Munky
Neutral

Post by Munky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Doug_RS6 - did you get the issue sorted in the end?

Mine has a very similar issue the vibration is from about 65mph and above. I've had the wheels balanced and checked which improved things slightly but it's still there. It's a vibration that's through the car not just the steering wheel. I was thinking propshaft bearing as the next step for mine but you said your one was okay?

(sorry for resurrecting an old thread!)

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 am

I've just replaced my centre bearing support as mine was gone, well not as bad as the video but had sagged and more movement than it should have had. I split the shaft and reassembled back in the same place as marked it all up, and I have a slight vibration now about 40-50mph, which is much worse when WOT. I don't think my shaft needs re-balancing, as on light throttle it is fine at all speeds. The CV joints are all tight too with no play.

So it may be that its not fitted / aligned well enough. I jacked the car up last night to check it out and the centre bearing now has hardly any movement so this is clearly much better, there is no evidence of balance weights having fallen off, and as I marked it up to put back in-line, I don't think the CV cap will throw the balance out much as its just a light weight tin cap. I will take it back out at the weekend, thoroughly clean the diff to prop mount as it was a little corroded and may not be sitting well. I will also chek the alignment of the prop from diff to centre bearing and then to gearbox too, as I think this is my issue.

So....you can replace just the bearing carrier, just make sure you get the kit with the cap as you can't easily remove the old one to split the shaft. The bearing was about £200 off ebay.

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Well I've worked out why mine is shaking! I jacked the car up this evening and removed the heat shield to get a better look at the alignment, (I put it together in a rush at 11pm in the dark!)The sellers sent me the wrong CB, so it has put the propshaft out of alignment. I'm hoping the seller sends me the correct part so I can give it another go as there is naff all else wrong with the prop to warrant spending £1400 on a new one if I can help it!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Update - the seller has agreed that the part is for the standard A6 and has said they will send me the CB for the RS6 today, and I will send this one back, so fair play to them! So fingers crossed it arrives this week and I can sort the car out once and for all this weekend!

If you're going to order one to do the job yourself (which is quite easy to be fair) then order this one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-C6-R ... XQMMNR57Hj

Munky
Neutral

Post by Munky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi Today1, good they're sending you the correct bearing. Hopefully it sorts it all out once fitted

I've had a look at mine today and the shafts look to be okay as far as I can tell while lying underneath the car. I have found that the read passenger side spring is split in two about half way up though! So will replace both rear springs and see if that cures it. If not, it'll off to my local garage for them to have a look at it, fingers crossed

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:01 am

Munky - have you checked your top arms on the front suspension struts? Also the CB on the prop may not be as bad as the above video, but it could be sagging and weak, so check that. Mine was sagging, and even though it was all intact still, it had a lot of free movement. The new bearing (although its the wrong offset to the chassis mounts) is much more solid, and the prop sits bang in the middle with no sagging. I should hopefully receive my RS6 specific one this week!

Doug_RS6
3rd Gear

Post by Doug_RS6 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 am

Hey. Mine turned out to be a real school boy error. Wheel spacers that stopped the wheel centering properly even though they seemed to engage they weren't centred.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”