Coolant Temps

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
groupA
Neutral

Coolant Temps

Post by groupA » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

Hi Guys,

New member having recently acquired a 2010 C6 RS6 sedan with 100k km's on it (intro in the new member area). Ive just put it through the 100k service with coolant, plugs, engine oil+filter, air filters, brake fluid, transfer/dif, gbox+filter, fuel filter and rear diff fluid replaced. Front disks and pads have also been replaced and Oil pump seal + wheel arch coolant & DRC lines inspected.

Have a ross-tech cable which had indicated N249 valve failure and have replaced (still throwing an intermittent code so looks like diverter valves need to be done). SAI on the 2nd bank is also throwing a code which im not concerned about.

What sort of coolant temps are others seeing on VCDS/Vagcom? Its pretty warm and humid as hell over here at the moment (NZ) but ive seen 105c on VCDS at idle and high 90's underload. I think the viscous fan is running but abit hard to see and it doesn't seem to be outputting a lot of noise so may not be at full speed. The electric fans spin up fine using the output tests in VCDS as does the secondary water pump. The study guide states the thermostats open at 87c so 105 def seems high to me? Im assuming the thermostat(s) are stuffed and have stuck in a closed/semi closed position. Theres a possiblity of a air lock in the cooling system as the coolant was replaced, but im very much leaning towards it being a thermostat issue. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

edit: list of stuff done
E39A VR4
ST205 GT-Four WRC
FD3S RX-7
B5 S4
C6 RS6

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Coolant Temps

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm

It's been hovering around 0 give or take here for the last couple of days and my car was at 92-93 degrees having idled for a few minutes after a couple of 15 mile runs this morning.
I wouldn't be worried about 105 at idle with the fans running, most of the real cooling is from the air stream when moving.

IME, when a 'stat fails closed the car will boil very quickly but most vehicles seem to fail in the open position (except for Fiats after dark on the M62 on a Friday night on the wrong side of the Pennines).

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”