Buying an RS6 in Australia

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
alex3
Neutral

Buying an RS6 in Australia

Post by alex3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:44 am

Hello from Australia

I'm looking at purchasing a C6 RS6 wagon.

Annoyingly, it's in another state (Queensland) so currently trying to do my due diligence for inspection before I fly up, find a mechanic near me in Melbourne that I'll be happy with, work out how much extra running costs and maintenance will be over my Subaru etc etc.

If anyone near the Sunshine Coast has any shops they would recommend that can do a thorough PrePurchase Inspection that would be much appreciated.

I'm doing my research, but if anyone has any leads or links to forum posts for the following that would be super helpful -

1. When are the major services due? Timing chain seems like it will be a whopper of a service but I can't find a service book to check intervals

2. Owner says it's tuned to make 750hp on stock exhaust. I'm coming from cars that need after market exhausts to get any performance gains, is 750 realistic?

3, Seems like a daily driven tuned car should have gearbox oil replaced every 25xxxkms and engine oil every 10xxxkms? Does that sound right?

4. I can change a regular cars engine oil myself, is the V10 something that needs to be taken to a Shop, or can an average person do it at home?

If I've put this in the wrong place, or should have been able to find all this with more research, I apologise

Thanks

Note - car has 149000Kms, just had rotors/pads/brakes replaced, new bilstien suspension put in this year, supposedly has good service history but waiting for a VIN or photos of books, car is a personal import from UK

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Buying an RS6 in Australia

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am

You'll find most of the answers on this forum. Yes, the timing chains would be a big job but I wouldn't worry about it, I've never heard of them being changed (but I may be wrong).
Engine oil change is not a problem, just long winded depending on the number of drain points on the car - some have 2, some 4 and some have 5. You also need to pump out the reservoir. Takes me around a couple of hours as long as I can get the bloody filter off the cap without too much of a struggle. It's also a good idea to remove the bottom inter cooler hoses as part of the job in case there's any oil in them.
Sticking exactly to the prescribed instructions for checking the oil level is essential - anything else and you'll risk over filling it, which IMO is the source of most of the oil in the cooler hoses.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Alex,

Jim answered most of your questions but I'll add this regarding question 2 - It is possible to hit those sort of power figures even on a stock exhaust but 680-700 is more common unless the secondary Cats* are removed but I know that you guys are much stricter on mods being carried out so I;'m not sure if that would've been done.

Also, due to the mileage and that it's a UK car I'd check the two following points -

1. The coolant lines behind the right side front arch which are hugely prone to corroding, there's tones of info and pics if you search "coolant lines" on here but I'd say 66%+ of the cars on here have had them replaced.

2. Look for a small oil leak on the top of the tray under the engine, somewhere central but at the back of the tray, thats a sign that the engine oil pump seal has gone (70p seal) and it;s a huge job to fix costing upto 1500 AUD at an independent garage (who can do it with the engine in place) or worse, 7000+ AUD by Audi who remove the engine to fix it!

Hope that helps, defo take a mechanic or someone who knows these cars and has a VCDS style code reader as these cars never have cheap repair bills!

Cheers................................................Ian

* -the RS6 has 2 Cats per cylinder bank (4 in total), a small Pre-Cat in the downpipe right on the back of the turbo and a much larger Secondary Cat under the car. In the UK the RS6 can still pass emissions testing with just a pre-cat fitted so it's common to removed the restrictive secondary cats for more power/torque during mapping.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

floatdrop
Neutral

Post by floatdrop » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 am

Alex,
I have a RS6, C6 in Melbourne. Whilst i don't have it for sale, i have been toying with the idea of getting a C7.
Monza Silver, all the usual features including Ceramics. Has had the secondary Cats deleted and mapped to a conservative 700HP.
OIl pump seal has been replaced and a full size spare wheel fitted. All original parts available. PM me if VERY interested, don't waist my time.
Company car, so no expense spared.
Cheers
Andy

alex3
Neutral

Post by alex3 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi all

Thanks so much for your replies. Exactly what I was looking for. I've spoken to a few Audi friends as well who have recommended trusted mechanics and places to get reasonably priced spare parts.

Seems like the owner is thinking he might just ship it back to the UK with him, but if it passes the PPI with flying colours I'll be very tempted. Everything I've found out seems like it's expensive to maintain, but a well looked after one will bring a lot of enjoyment. Plus, ya know.... 700HP wagon

alex3
Neutral

Post by alex3 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 am

Andy - I've sent you a PM, although it's in my outbox, I don't know if I need to do something more for it to get to you

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 am

alex3 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 am
Andy - I've sent you a PM, although it's in my outbox, I don't know if I need to do something more for it to get to you
It sits in your out-box until Andy reads it when it changes to the Sent Box, that's how you know it's been read.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”