Tyres

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Toady1
3rd Gear

Tyres

Post by Toady1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:02 am

Heading off to south of France after Xmas in the 6. My front tyres are very bald on their inner edge even though they're 4-5mm all over. So i'm planning on simply replacing all 4. Currently have Goodyear eagle f1's. Question is, do I stick with these or pay another £200 for ps4s's? Are they worth the extra?

IanH755
Top Gear

Re: Tyres

Post by IanH755 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 am

I've used both Goodyear F1's and Michelin PSS (previous version of MPS4S) and both were extremely good -

Goodyear - Better in the wet, slightly worse in the dry
MPSS - Better in the dry, slightly worse in the wet

Both lasted around the same duration too and the newer MPS4S is even better but, as you mentioned, cost more.

I went for MPSS as I preferred the extra dry grip and losing that extra 5% of wet grip over the Goodyears isn't as much of an issue for me. Once I get back to the UK I'll be sticking the new MPS4S tyres on I think just due to my prior experience but either tyre would do well, and much better than the Michelin Efficient Grip that mine had fitted when I bought it :D
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

GrahamS4
Top Gear

Post by GrahamS4 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Don't overlook the Michelin PS4 (not S).

Very competent tyre, cheaper than the PS4S, better wet grip and based on reviews I dare say you might not know the difference in the dry unless you drive on the road at ten tenths.
Present: 2010 Ice silver B8 S4 s-tronic saloon (standard)
Past: 1998 Agate grey B5 S4 saloon (MRC tuned)
Hers: 2011 Volcano red 8P A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 sport quattro

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

I think the ps4s's have stiffer sidewalls so cornering grip 'feel' is better, more direct. I do like to look and feel of the Eagle f1's on there at the moment, but the reviews of the Michelins seem so much better. So it sounds like from these replies the Michelin would be good to go for for the extra outlay.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:14 pm

PS4S is superb for grip in any weather (OK, not snow!). I've had mine on since they first arrived, though are off now for winter.
There's a particular bit of road that I drive along regularly that pushes grip to the limit (or can) on a very long curve and with the PS4S the car feels like it's on rails and I can overtake other cars at up to 50% faster than they feel safe at! :thumbs:

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:09 am

HPsauce wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:14 pm
PS4S is superb for grip in any weather (OK, not snow!). I've had mine on since they first arrived, though are off now for winter.
There's a particular bit of road that I drive along regularly that pushes grip to the limit (or can) on a very long curve and with the PS4S the car feels like it's on rails and I can overtake other cars at up to 50% faster than they feel safe at! :thumbs:
How bad are they in the snow compared to the good years? I ask as I'm staying in Chambery end of Dec and although there may not be any snow down in the town, there also may be! I don't have spare wheels to put winter tyres on, and I don't want to spend over a grand on temporary tyres!

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Both aren't great on snow TBH as both are "Summer" tyres and Quattro AWD means nothing it your tyres can't grip.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

timthetooth
Neutral

Post by timthetooth » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Toady,
I would get your suspension bushes checked, I had the same inside edge wear, which should not be so extreme. Turned out I needed both top arms on each side replacing. The same thing will happen to your new tyres if you have alignment problems too.
Tim

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 pm

timthetooth wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:33 pm
Toady,
I would get your suspension bushes checked, I had the same inside edge wear, which should not be so extreme. Turned out I needed both top arms on each side replacing. The same thing will happen to your new tyres if you have alignment problems too.
Tim
I've just had 4 wheel alignment done at vass tech and he said there was no play, so hopefully it's not that. I couldn't feel any either when I checked. I think the wheels were on the rear, and I had snapped rear springs which prior to 4w alignment I had replaced. So hoping that was the reason!

I've heard that goodyears come with 7mm tread and Michelins with 8m?

I know neither are going to be great in the snow, and esp, abs quattro will do f all if there is no grip. But I've heard Michelins are terrible in the snow.

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm

timthetooth wrote:
Toady,
Tim
Just thought I'd add this comment to the above, as I've since checked mine out after experiencing some horrible car shaking on light acceleration. I wasn't sure if the car was badly miss firing, the prop had gone out of balance or what. But as timthetooth mentioned, both my upper arm bushes are shagged big time! I've still not replaced my tyres, and I'm now down in the south of France with the car. But I've just ordered some new top arms to replace these items before I get around to replacing the tyres. So....it looks lilke Vasstech didn't have a thorough look over my bushes before carrying out a full alignment after all!

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Toady1 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm
timthetooth wrote:
Toady,
Tim
Just thought I'd add this comment to the above, as I've since checked mine out after experiencing some horrible car shaking on light acceleration. I wasn't sure if the car was badly miss firing, the prop had gone out of balance or what. But as timthetooth mentioned, both my upper arm bushes are shagged big time! I've still not replaced my tyres, and I'm now down in the south of France with the car. But I've just ordered some new top arms to replace these items before I get around to replacing the tyres. So....it looks lilke Vasstech didn't have a thorough look over my bushes before carrying out a full alignment after all!
Lemforder or Meyle HD :boohoo: .
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes I've got the Lemforder ones to replace them as Audi wanted 230 earos a piece! Fitting them this weekend.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:52 pm

c3nturi0n wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:05 pm
Toady1 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm
timthetooth wrote:
Toady,
Tim
Lemforder or Meyle HD :boohoo: .
Any particular sites you guys (RS246 as a whole) use to order these two (Lemforder or Meyle HD)? I'm always a bit wary of spunking that amount of money (a full kit) through a random ebay account? :beerchug:
B5 B6 B7 B9

Toady1
3rd Gear

Post by Toady1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm

I ordered mine from Autodoc. Buycarparts.co.uk is a sister site too I think and I've ordered from them too.

Here is one of my arms bushes...

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Toady1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm
I ordered mine from Autodoc. Buycarparts.co.uk is a sister site too I think and I've ordered from them too
Brilliant, thanks. :beerchug:

Yeah, that bush does not look great!!! :shock:
B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”