Cars win right!?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Dog vs Car
Neutral

Re: Cars win right!?

Post by Dog vs Car » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am

Just had the second report back on the turbo,

With regards to the above turbocharger.

On inspection we have found that the wastegate arm bush is excessively worn and requires re-bushing. The turbocharger also needs rebuilding with new bearings & seals.

This will come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

We await your instructions.

Kind regards

Problem I think I have with regards to a warranty claim is the T&C issue with replace not rebuild. Is there anyway of presenting the evidence in a favourable way to the warranty company??

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 am

Dog vs Car wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am
Just had the second report back on the turbo,

With regards to the above turbocharger.

On inspection we have found that the wastegate arm bush is excessively worn and requires re-bushing. The turbocharger also needs rebuilding with new bearings & seals.

This will come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

We await your instructions.

Kind regards

Problem I think I have with regards to a warranty claim is the T&C issue with replace not rebuild. Is there anyway of presenting the evidence in a favourable way to the warranty company??
I would imagine if you put it to them as the wastegate needing repaired or replaced, yet being unrepairable, equals a unit which needs replaced entirely.

Given that the turbo itself needs new bearings and seals this would also be grounds for a replacement unit as they have already stated they will not refurbish a unit.

If you paid for a warranty you should be using the warranty in the way it should cover you, they clearly don't want to pay for new turbos. Make them! That's what you paid for your warranty for!

Dog vs Car
Neutral

Post by Dog vs Car » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Yeah it’s just delivering that information in a warranty friendly manner which will be the issue.. 😬

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Dog vs Car wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am
MikeFish wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 am
I'd have expected more than 800hp for all that work though. Pretty sure 800hp comes up with an exhaust and remap alone.
Yeah pretty sure the stock turbos will do over 800hp and the stock block is good for 1000hp. I think the issue is the torque figure and gearbox.
800hp is do-able on the stock turbos, it either needs the Downpipes replacing for de-catted ones or the pre-cat removing from the OEM downpipe (with a hammer and air-chisel) but you're right that the GB is more torque limited than power. Anything over around 1100nm and they can start to get flakey so while some are fine even upto 1250nm before breaking (Madness Motorsport Orange) some are failing at just 1150nm etc
Dog vs Car wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Just a quick one re IC’s. What’s the benefit of the uprated units?

IIRC when I was speaking to Ricky he said something about retaining std cores??
It was retaining the end tanks and swapping the core for a new one. As for your build, anything reusing the stock turbos won't need those IC's, they really only become useful when you start pushing 850+.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Dog vs Car
Neutral

Post by Dog vs Car » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:54 am

So I have had a second opinion on the turbo, which has pretty much confirmed the original report.

Being that the warranty company are adamant that this excessive wear to the wastegate bushing is ‘normal wear and tear’ they are flat out refusing to play ball. I have even tried asking if they are willing to help at all, but unless they get a report saying that it was ‘instant failure’ I really don’t think I have much hope.

I spoke to the guys who issued the second report, who were very helpful, and explained my situation and whilst they sympathised also said they get this kind of call a lot.

So moral of the story, NEVER BOTHER WITH A WARRANTY, unless it’s an absolute iron clad, wear and tear, full cover, diamond encrusted platinum select!! Just put £50 a week under the mattress!! 😬😵

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”