Mileage and repairs

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Fatneck73
4th Gear

Re: Mileage and repairs

Post by Fatneck73 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:23 pm

2008 Phantom Black Avant

Today, on the drive, it just turned 41k. Had since 23k, 6.5 years.

QST Stage 3, Milltek rear box, MTM centre pipe, gbox remap, Pirelli PZeros, DS2500 (I think) pads, SRF brake fluid, 10mm MTM spacers, 749bhp/939nm.

No prev probs I can recall other than led bulb in DRL went - cost = whole new headlight and a wheel hub stud! Presently got a sticking door lock. Oil seal and coolant pipes checked last feb and all ok - next check and serv in Sept so fingers crossed all is ok.

zuumed
Neutral

Post by zuumed » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:32 pm

RS6-T28RPH wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 pm
@Stiggles

exactly the same noise I have.

we temporarily sorted the issue by whipping wheels off and cleaning the back of them where it meets the disc, as well as the disc/hub face with a steel wire attachment on an air tool. Then torquing the wheels to 140nm as per advice from a chap on the nissan gtr forum (amusingly shares disc size/pad fitment).

The noise does come back eventually, still no permanent fix and have changed literally everything bar the calipers. had it with OEM discs/pads/control arms. Still got it with Meyle control arms, ferrodo pads and AP Racing discs. have changed outer CVs, need to check inner CVs as I think there was a bit of play in that joint but as of yet, nothing conclusive i'm afraid.
Mine has the same noise (99000), have you got to the bottom of it yet???
It's really starting to annoy me now

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Ok guys I'm sure I've gotten to the bottom of my issue

I had the car on the ramp today and feeling around all CV joints and the propshafts I noticed when I shook the main prop shaft that runs front to back above the exhaust there is a rattling noise, I have already replaced the faulty carrier bearing so be advised this is not a failed bearing, this is a failure within the shaft itself.

I will be looking around as have been quoted around £1200 for a replacement through TPS, euro car parts have a GKN Lobro propshaft listed at £770, has anyone any experience with these? Should I stick with an OEM item, or are there upgraded props available from aftermarket company's?

It might be worth inspecting the shafts in your own cars as it sounds like this could be the fault for similar sounding issues

House89
2nd Gear

Mileage and repairs

Post by House89 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Currently 94,500 Phantom Black. '09 plate

FSH. I bought it on 31st Dec 2017 at 85,200 have done.

All 10 injectors (1 went open circuit, changed all 10)
Front ceramic pads
New key
Replace steering wheel buttons (peeling)
Rear wiper motor
Miltek cat back
Oil pump drive seal
Re-paint all 4 calipers back to standard colour
Fit original silver edge grill
New water radiator
Full paint correction and detail
4 TPMS sensors for new wheels
MRC stage 2 715bhp 720ft/lb

Needs

4 new DRC shocks
All front quad links and bushes front and rear (they're not bad but I want them done)
Gear box sump gasket + oil change
Coolant pipes (but only cos I want them done)
Fuel feed pipe from tank to filter (one clip broken off)
New front under tray
New engine stop/start button as someone's finger nail has scratched it!!
Re-trim leather.

zuumed
Neutral

Post by zuumed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Stiggles wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:02 pm

I had the car on the ramp today and feeling around all CV joints and the propshafts I noticed when I shook the main prop shaft that runs front to back above the exhaust there is a rattling noise, I have already replaced the faulty carrier bearing so be advised this is not a failed bearing, this is a failure within the shaft itself.

I will be looking around as have been quoted around £1200 for a replacement through TPS, euro car parts have a GKN Lobro propshaft listed at £770, has anyone any experience with these? Should I stick with an OEM item, or are there upgraded props available from aftermarket company's?

It might be worth inspecting the shafts in your own cars as it sounds like this could be the fault for similar sounding issues
Were you able to shake the prop shaft? I assume that was forward and back.
I had a look at mine and it's rock solid but I have the same noise as your car?
Strangely when I had the front wheel off , tapping the inner wheel with a spanner makes the right sound?

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:08 pm

zuumed wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:14 pm
Stiggles wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Were you able to shake the prop shaft? I assume that was forward and back.
I had a look at mine and it's rock solid but I have the same noise as your car?
Strangely when I had the front wheel off , tapping the inner wheel with a spanner makes the right sound?
There was minimal movement side to side but enough to realise theres a noise from within the shaft, will strip off the exhaust and remove the shaft and make sure it's definitely rattling.

When turning the rear wheels back and forth in the air the noise was present at the shaft not at the wheel so I'm certain it's not my wheels

Will keep everyone updated, but I imagine it is the shaft internals as it's 160k miles old and the bearing has gone so maybe they were actually designed to be replaced together in the event of such a failure

Yours could be the case of sand the wheels and hubs and apply some copper slip and tighten up to 140nm

zuumed
Neutral

Post by zuumed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Ok thanks for the update. I'll have a go at the wheels this weekend and see if the noise disappears.
I now have an MMI issue!! Although I suspect I may have knocked something while changing the pollen filters.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:41 pm

zuumed wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:30 pm
Ok thanks for the update. I'll have a go at the wheels this weekend and see if the noise disappears.
I now have an MMI issue!! Although I suspect I may have knocked something while changing the pollen filters.
Another update, I've just remembered I actually twisted the shaft back and forth as opposed to shaking it side to side, this was how I figured out the area at fault, the bearing is still in tact and doing its job.

My current thought is that the company which fitted the new bearing may have messed up when splitting the shaft to fit the bearing, however I'm going to order the GKN shaft and do some investigation as to what the cause within the broken shaft may be.

zuumed
Neutral

Post by zuumed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm

That doesn't sound to good😱
I've tried cleaning the hud and wheel. Noise still there.
However I went to my local tyre place today and they think it's a pressure sensor inside the wheel.
It's booked in Monday for a tyre removal, I'll let you know the result.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 am

zuumed wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm
However I went to my local tyre place today and they think it's a pressure sensor inside the wheel.
That's an interesting theory, does your car make noise at all speed etc?

I wonder do the sensors work properly if they are flying around inside the tyre.

I replaced my wheel bolts with a set of studs and nuts, this did reduce the frequency of my noise so I imagine the bolts were not doing their job, however the noise is still there, there is a loose dust guard which I'll be replacing Tuesday, but I'm still under the impression it's the drive shaft.

andy_HK
Neutral

Post by andy_HK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:47 am

RS6 Saloon - first registered in UK Feb 2009.
Purchased in July 2012 - 31k miles - shipped to Hong Kong
Sept 2013 - oil leak - engine out 38k
Nov 2013 - alternator replaced 39k
Aug 2014 - radiator replaced 43k
Dec 2014 - Main drive shaft bearing - drive shaft replaced!! - 46k
June 2015 - Driver door lock replaced, bonnet stay replaced new front disks and miltek exhaust developed a rattle which meant removing it and cutting 1.5cm from the pipes and re-welding - 50k.
Sep 2016 - A/C condenser and pressure switch + additional radiator replaced - 57k
Aug 2017 - front and lower control arms replaced - 60k
May 2018 - CD changer repaired.. 63k

Currently (September 2018) with 65k on the clock and LED daytime running lights failed - to be continued...
Normal servicing items not included (tyres, pads, filters etc etc).
in the garage...
Aston Martin Vanquish S Volante
RS6 V10 - 2009 miltek + - 715bhp
BMW M5 F10
Audi S3 - 2014 - daily drive
Audi A1 1.8T - 2015
A3 1.8T - wife's car
Audi TT 1.8T - 2013 - wife's other car!!
Mini Cooper - 2007
ZXR 750J2 - 1993
BMW S1000RR - 2013
CBR 1000FK 1989
CBR 1000FX 1999

zuumed
Neutral

Post by zuumed » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Stiggles wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 am
zuumed wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm
That's an interesting theory, does your car make noise at all speed etc?

I wonder do the sensors work properly if they are flying around inside the tyre.

I replaced my wheel bolts with a set of studs and nuts, this did reduce the frequency of my noise so I imagine the bolts were not doing their job, however the noise is still there, there is a loose dust guard which I'll be replacing Tuesday, but I'm still under the impression it's the drive shaft.
SmartSelect_20180903- 184230_Gallery.jpg
SUCCESS :jump:
The pressure sensor has dropped off ??? Need a new one from Audi, but the rattle has stopped.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20180903-184230_Gallery.jpg
Pressure sensor

RS6-T28RPH
2nd Gear

Post by RS6-T28RPH » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:59 am

havn't even thought about the pressure sensor, now that you mention it I did have a temporary problem where offside front wheel tpms didnt registe until i got moving one morning and that is the exact wheel that the noise is coming from!

Will check and report back

Cheers,
Rich
Esben Business IT Solutions - http://www.esben.co.uk
Esben Remapping - http://remap.esben.co.uk

2015 BMW X6 M50d (wife-transport, not allowed to touch :cry: )
2008 RS6 Avant Phantom Black - MRC Stage2 (ecu, tcu & 2nd cat bypass) 730 PS/1017 nm
2006 BMW 535d Pre-LCI - Stage 1 (340bhp)
2003 VW Polo 1.4Tdi (3pot shitbox) tuning project, was 73bhp, now 120bhp, aiming for 160bhp before it goes bang! (put in the bin)

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:00 pm

After some weeks of spare time messing about checking wheel bearings, replacing an inner cv joint and fitting new front discs & pads with the Phaeton duct mod for good measure I think I've tracked down the cause of my noise.
What at first sight appeared to be a small stone in one of the tyres turned out on removal to be a 3.5cm length of a 4mm wire nail. I suspect what I thought was a duff wheel bearing was simply the sound of the nail being hammered into the tread for 10 miles.
I'll know for sure when I get the wheels back on tomorrow.

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Glad you had it sorted...

ps. years ago i had issues with balancing on a set of newly refurbed wheels and brand new set of Michelins's... and it turned out to be down to the amount of water in one of the tyres (unbelievable i know!). simple things first ;).
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”