Mileage and repairs

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
rs6danbar
Neutral

Mileage and repairs

Post by rs6danbar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am

Just curious,

Whats the mileage on your 6?

And what have been done to it so far, by you or previous owners etc?

Guess I'll start.

2008 Monza Silver 136700 miles (220000km)
2 DRC shocks, DRC linings, DRC delete H&R Coilovers, Gearbox total failure once, Full driveline swap ( 63000miles ) due to both turbo failures, massive oilleak and slipping gearbox number 2. :audibash:

Had the car for 3 years, nothing but brakepads and few lightbulbs for the last year! :thumbs:

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Re: Mileage and repairs

Post by c3nturi0n » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:19 pm

58 plate Monza Silver with 102k miles
running on Stage II with non-resonated custom built exhaust

- power steering replacement incl. various sensors/hoses (99k), front disks + pads (83k), rear suspension overhaul (70k) and oil seal leak fix (65k).

- planned work:
-- next week: front suspension top arms on both sides, gearbox oil + filter service, front tyres and wheel alignment.
-- Aug 18: coolant pipe/lines replacement, rear disks + pads

Other than that it's an amazing piece of machinery that if/when maintained adequately, can and WILL only give you smiles :)!
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

BW_90024
Neutral

Mileage and repairs

Post by BW_90024 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 pm

58 Sepang stock 67k miles generally minor points

- Had Cable loom replaced on the abs (stopped working) left a bit on rubber...
- engine mounts to fix a slightly rough ride
- lambda senors we’re playing up whilst being replaced (all four) engine out and fixed minor oil seal leak and replaced coolant hoses. Might at well as it was an engine out job.
- electrical tail gate button (think water got in) so stopped working
- bushes on the wheel, rubber slipped off.
- headlights bulb replaced to fix intermittent stop start on them working.

Generally not many problems, although going in tomorrow for a knocking noise which was there before it’s service.

Turns out one of the hoses on the DRC has come loose and it is leaking fluid, so needs replacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm

58 plate Phantom Black Avant 108K miles.
Don't know history other than just prior to purchase 2 years ago it had a cam sensor (Audi) and rear discs.
Since then other than service parts (filters/plugs etc) its had a rear DRC hose and a road spring (Audi), front drop links (me), Oil breather hose (me), coolant pipes (me), set of rear lights (me) due to UV damage to the centre lights and a parking incident to one of the outers, 3rd brake light (me) due to a blown led and corroded contacts.
This weekend it's having front discs (me) and depending on whether or not a that stops a strange noise that appeared out of the blue on Wednesday it may need a wheel bearing.
The oil seal really needs dealing with and the sun roof guide springs need replacing having showered me with plastic chips a while back.
There are a few other little things, mostly under bonnet hoses that I'd like to replace.

RS6-T28RPH
2nd Gear

Post by RS6-T28RPH » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:26 am

08 phantom black avant 140k miles

past 3 years have seen 30k of mileage, current list of bits...

control arms
new oil and water pump assembly
itg filters
outer cv joints
inner cv joints
mrc stage 2 tune, gearbox and cat bypass
all 4 drc pipes & front driver shock
trups headlight rebuild due to broken wire on main beam
bmc filters
ap racign discs & ferrodo pads all round
forge recirc valves

got an odd clicking noise from the front suspension, not all the time, something to do with steering but will get to the bottom of it at some point.
Esben Business IT Solutions - http://www.esben.co.uk
Esben Remapping - http://remap.esben.co.uk

2015 BMW X6 M50d (wife-transport, not allowed to touch :cry: )
2008 RS6 Avant Phantom Black - MRC Stage2 (ecu, tcu & 2nd cat bypass) 730 PS/1017 nm
2006 BMW 535d Pre-LCI - Stage 1 (340bhp)
2003 VW Polo 1.4Tdi (3pot shitbox) tuning project, was 73bhp, now 120bhp, aiming for 160bhp before it goes bang! (put in the bin)

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Jim Haseltine wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm
This weekend it's having front discs (me) and depending on whether or not a that stops a strange noise that appeared out of the blue on Wednesday it may need a wheel bearing.
Currently it's looking (well, more like sounding and feeling) that it might actually be inner cv joints instead.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 am

Just curious if the strange noise you guys are talking about is anything related to the noise I've been hearing

155k miles, just back from Audi after having the engine and gearbox dropped for the oil seal and coolant pipes along with other seals and hoses.

Have to say I'm completely underwhelmed by the quality of workmanship from Audi, had to have the headlights re aligned along with fitting an O ring on the headlight washer as they failed to repair it properly. Now this noise has developed since coming back from their supposed repair....

Basically it seems like a driveline fault from my gut instinct, the noise might be CV joint, but as it is intermittent and not present when turning this has me thinking something else. It seems to click when pressure is placed on the driveshaft(s) as can be heard in the video, but if you notice at around 17 secs the noise can be heard before the car physically moves, which leads me to believe something either gearbox (hopefully not?!!!!!) Or else drive shaft, maybe even engine mounts?

Any one else experiencing this noise or does this look to be a new noise all together? It's only usually when taking off from standstill and can't be heard once on the move.

https://youtu.be/5KGNxklF0QI
Last edited by Stiggles on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BW_90024
Neutral

Post by BW_90024 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:08 am

Could be the valve on the DRS, I believe that can give a knocking noise which can sound tinny and give its happening under a full load as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 am

Have experienced DRC failure in the B7 RS4s and the knocking usually sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car, this clicking seems to be directly below the driver passenger seats if not in front of.

It's much more audible from outside the car as driving past a colleague in both directions he noted it sounded like the passenger side at first pass then driver side on second pass, which also leads me to believe it's more centrally located, ie gearbox area.

Will be having it looked at today hopefull, but it doesn't make the noise under full load, it just made the noise in the video I linked at around 17s while I had my foot on the brake and shifted into drive from park.

Which made me think the box was trying to turn the shaft but couldn't turn the wheels because the brakes were applied.

Will have the DRC inspected anyways to be sure, but MOT was last week and no mention of wet or damp shocks

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Sounds like a mechanical clash to me,something hitting the exhaust would make that noise. Someone mentioned the DRC valve, I thought the DRC is a servo drive opening / closing a needle valve (bypass valve) so I doubt its this - one way to eliminate that is put it in sport mode - that closes the bypass valve altogether. Jack it up and give the drive line a good looking over

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:28 am

ATinOf wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 pm
Sounds like a mechanical clash to me,something hitting the exhaust would make that noise. Someone mentioned the DRC valve, I thought the DRC is a servo drive opening / closing a needle valve (bypass valve) so I doubt its this - one way to eliminate that is put it in sport mode - that closes the bypass valve altogether. Jack it up and give the drive line a good looking over
I'm near certain it's something in and around the transmission, possibly incorrectly reassembled when Audi put the engine/box back in. The fact that the noise is only present in first gear or maybe reverse I can't recall if I've heard it in reverse or not, makes me think transmission.

99% of the time the noise is heard when pulling away from standstill, however I have heard it once or twice when just shifting into drive, one of those being recorded in the above video, the only parts that move under those circumstances I imagine would be the drive shafts.

I think I can rule out the DRC as all 3 ride modes are in working order when selected, where as the last time the rear shocks needed replacing I don't think the car would allow any other more than sport.

But I'll definitely give that a go just to be sure. Thanks for the advice

rs6danbar
Neutral

Post by rs6danbar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Stiggles wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:28 am
ATinOf wrote:
I'm near certain it's something in and around the transmission, possibly incorrectly reassembled when Audi put the engine/box back in. The fact that the noise is only present in first gear or maybe reverse I can't recall if I've heard it in reverse or not, makes me think transmission.

99% of the time the noise is heard when pulling away from standstill, however I have heard it once or twice when just shifting into drive, one of those being recorded in the above video, the only parts that move under those circumstances I imagine would be the drive shafts.

I think I can rule out the DRC as all 3 ride modes are in working order when selected, where as the last time the rear shocks needed replacing I don't think the car would allow any other more than sport.

I know that theres a common problem with clicking wheel bearings, but this not might be the case?

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm

rs6danbar wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Stiggles wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:28 am
ATinOf wrote:

I know that theres a common problem with clicking wheel bearings, but this not might be the case?
Went through the wheel bearing thread countless times as this was what I first believed the issue to be, however my understanding is that the bearing clicked when the steering was turned, mine happens only on initial forward movement.

From what I gather the wheel bearings were never actually the issue, rather the disc bell and hub and wheel face that connect to each other had movement, which was the fault?

Still undiagnosed as of yet as the car is being borrowed for two weeks, once it's back it'll be off to get diagnosed and a new exhaust.

RS6-T28RPH
2nd Gear

Post by RS6-T28RPH » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 pm

@Stiggles

exactly the same noise I have.

we temporarily sorted the issue by whipping wheels off and cleaning the back of them where it meets the disc, as well as the disc/hub face with a steel wire attachment on an air tool. Then torquing the wheels to 140nm as per advice from a chap on the nissan gtr forum (amusingly shares disc size/pad fitment).

The noise does come back eventually, still no permanent fix and have changed literally everything bar the calipers. had it with OEM discs/pads/control arms. Still got it with Meyle control arms, ferrodo pads and AP Racing discs. have changed outer CVs, need to check inner CVs as I think there was a bit of play in that joint but as of yet, nothing conclusive i'm afraid.
Esben Business IT Solutions - http://www.esben.co.uk
Esben Remapping - http://remap.esben.co.uk

2015 BMW X6 M50d (wife-transport, not allowed to touch :cry: )
2008 RS6 Avant Phantom Black - MRC Stage2 (ecu, tcu & 2nd cat bypass) 730 PS/1017 nm
2006 BMW 535d Pre-LCI - Stage 1 (340bhp)
2003 VW Polo 1.4Tdi (3pot shitbox) tuning project, was 73bhp, now 120bhp, aiming for 160bhp before it goes bang! (put in the bin)

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Currently in the process of changing an inner cv joint. When I took the clips off the boot I expected to see black grease - no, what I got was a pool of what appeared to be very thick brown oil on the floor and my boots. New joint came with 3 tubes of the expected black grease.
Just waiting for a heavy duty set of clip pliers as my set weren't man enough to deal with the Audi clips.
If you're going to diy the job and get the exchange joint set, beware - Audi's parts list is wrong, specifying a 29mm snap ring instead of a 26mm circlip so don't give the core back until you're certain you've got all the bits you need.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”