Engine / Gearbox Removal

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
ATinOf
3rd Gear

Re: Engine / Gearbox Removal

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 am

So on to the engine loom;

To aid access the book says to remove the trim at the foot of the windscreen, although I tried this was going nowhere; even with dousing it with warm water and fairy liquid; but I did find that just by removing the wipers and the 2 central screws for this trim at the air conditioning/heater matrix you can just about get the access you need
ImageImage

Now unclip the two ECU's from the top of the n/s electrical enclosure and pull back out the way

And remove this n/s electrical enclosure lid, there are some difficult to get screws with that trim in the way and be careful you don't lose them down the depths of the bulkhead. Mine had one of the back ones totally missing, another item for the shopping list.
ImageImage

Carefully extract the seal (in one piece!) at the internal bulkhead
ImageImage

Unclip the fuseholder from its mount

Unclip the relay holder from its mount

Now reach in and unclip the 3 colour coded connectors under where that foam seal came from
ImageImage

ImageImage

Now undo the retained nut on the 12V lead

And this loom can be removed from the enclosure

Remove the adjacent earth connections by the windscreen washer bottle
ImageImage

And the n/s loom can be pulled out the way

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am

Now over to the o/s electrical enclosure and remove the lid, the same constraints apply here, can you spot the magnetic pick up, yes I dropped one, but was lucky enough to find it amongst the forest of dead leaves down there
ImageImage

Lift the supression capacitor out of its seat and unclip

Now remove the inner cover, I think this was just clipped in place, to give you access to the main 12V supply rails (now you did disconnect the battery didnt you?)
ImageImage

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:09 am

There is a lone connector that lifts out, unclip this and disconnect
ImageImage

Now unscrew the retained nut on the outer end 12V line and remove the topmost cable only

Now undo the nut (dont lose this one) and remove the main 12V (upside down lug) line

Now unclip the relay mount

And slide off the fuseholder as a complete unit off its side

Now unplug the last relay that was next to that fuseholder

So that you can unclip the relay base from the relay holder, after you have removed the relay base you can plug the relay back in for safe keeping
ImageImage

Now that's both side looms ready for removal, note I wrapped the ECU's in old pillow cases to protect the inlet manifold

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am

Now its time to get under the car

Remove the flange bolts so the drive shafts can be removed from the hubs - you can see the old gals been sat on the drive in the wet for several weeks by the rust on those discs! Note the two wheel nuts in the image, I used these with my crowbar to crack those flange nuts,I also needed a 3 foot extension to my 600mm breaker bar!!
ImageImage

Undo the 3 nuts either side of the anti roll bar restraint cross member; undo these nuts evenly
ImageImage

And remove the restraint

Undo the small nut on the vehicle level sensor at the front n/s track control link and remove the coupling rod
ImageImage

While you are at that position disconnect its electrical connector

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 am

Undo the end bolts holding the anti roll bar to the drop links and remove the anti roll bar
ImageImage

To protect the swivel joints of the upper links tie up the wheel bearing housing so it doesnt drop too far; straps are better but I got away with using decent ties

Now undo the bolt for the suspension strut at the track control link

Now remove the bolts at the sub-frame front and rear for those two control arms; note the direction the bolt is removed from for assembly; and tie the arms up so they dont stress the swivel joints.
ImageImage

Repeat for the other side

You may well be wondering why the jack is under the car; I always like a second line of defense when i'm under a heavy car - the car is on axle stands; the jack is there in case I have a problem with a stand. That's just how I roll.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

Now we can pull the hubs forward enough to remove the drive shafts

So we have both hubs free of the shafts
ImageImage

You do have a choice here; you could remove the drive shafts at this point, I decided to leave them there; access to the shields and retaining bolts didnt look particularly inviting to me. They can comeoff later when the engine is out, lots of access then.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am

Now its time to split the exhausts just before the baffles (I wont call them silencers on principle :o ). Just loosen the pairs of bolts and slide them back to expose the joint. Top tip - have a support in place so they dont stress the flexible couplers up stream too much.

Now we need to squeeze in to remove the shield over the prop-shaft coupling at the gearbox end, as usual the fixings are really easy to get to :?
ImageImage

Now mark the prop shaft so it can go back in the same orientation and undo the 6 fixings. For ease you can jack up the back end one side and spin the wheel to rotate the prop-shaft for access to the top bolts (or you can just struggle, just about). Take note this coupling point is filled with high temp grease and a seal,it may get a little messy.
ImageImage

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am

Now we need to support the engine and gearbox before tackling the sub-frame and mounts. I was surprised I didnt have to remove the bonnet, but no - plenty of access for the engine crane; note its a 4 point lift

And a trolley jack under the gearbox mount, so it can wheel forward whilst supported, in sync with the engine crane

With the gearbox weight supported you can remove the 8 bolts securing the gearbox mounting bracket to the chassis

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am

Now before touching the sub-frame fixings ensure the position of the sub-frame is clearly marked in relation to the chassis; the sub-frame is positioned laterally (left to right) to set the camber of the front wheels, and its position affects the toe-in (tracking). You will need to check the geometry on assembly.

When its marked sufficient to ensure it goes back where it is the bolts can be removed
ImageImage

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 am

Now its time to check we've removed what we need to...

Hmmm spot the hose I forgot to disconnect where the coolant filler was removed :wink:

And its not easy to see but there is another hose to disconnect here n/s along the chassis stub
ImageImage

And here we have a cable tie to cut close to the charger connection posts

Check and double check you have them all disconnected, you dont want to rip something out of the car!

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:32 am

Dont get too eager to pull it out yet though, the gear selector is not yet disconnected,I have saved the most awkward access item till last. You cant reach this without dropping the gearbox some 3-4 inches, so now is a good time to do it. First you have the cover to remove (That top fixing is a swine)

Then mark the position of the front bolt and remove it, and pop the ball fixing of the cable off the selector stub

When you are happy with your marking of its lateral position remove the back bolt
Last edited by ATinOf on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

Now lower the engine carefully about a foot, just enough to clear the chassis stubs so you can withdraw the engine and gearbox straight forward, although in true shopping trolley style these engine cranes rarely travel straight in any direction
ImageImage

Now we should have tied the exhausts to the gearbox mounting bracket before we started moving, there was a clunk when they fell off their support :oops:
I improvised by moving their support onto the gearbox trolley jack, but you really ought to tie them up to that gearbox mounting bracket

Be wary of trapping things as you move forward, I thought this breather hose would give enough to come by itself, not appreciating how brittle it had gotten

I also found the o/s rad support bracket clashed with the engine lower mounting, I had to unbolt that rad support bracket

Apart from those niggles it came out snugly
ImageImage
Last edited by ATinOf on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:46 am

et Voila - the beast is out

I hope this has been useful for some, the learning as you go is invaluable I find. At least now you all know if this is a job you can tackle or not, and what to expect when you start. Dont be afraid to have a go, I was a little nervous too, but there is nothing better than getting intimate with the inner workings for improving your understanding.

I think the gearbox warrants a new thread, to follow soon. Enjoy.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:38 am

Removing the V10T on a driveway = massive testicles.
No matter where you go, there you are.

don0301
4th Gear

Post by don0301 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am

And if you can do all that....you are a Royal Navy Engineer!
Ferrari 488 Spider
C6 RS6
E46 M3 convertible
Nissan 200sx mk 2
Vauxhall Senator
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Vauxhall Belmont SRi
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
1st car Datsun 120 FII Lime green....yeah :shock:

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”