Rear Brake Shields

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Rear Brake Shields

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Anybody planning to buy a set of rear bake shields (4F0615611B & 4F0615612B) soon?
I'd save your money if I were you, a set I picked up this week are possibly the worst quality Audi part I've ever seen, the metal is so soft that you can dent them with finger pressure - its not far off being thick foil compared to the rather tatty and rusty ones on my on my car.
They're away with a mate for powder coating but they'll only be on my car long enough for me to make some better ones out of either stainless or carbon/kevlar using the old ones as patterns.

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Re: Rear Brake Shields

Post by Stiggles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:49 am

My passenger rear had been "repaired" with the bigger washer hack, started hearing clicking so had a feel around the discs when changing tyres and noticed back left was loose, repositioned it to try and keep it from touching the disc.

Within a week all 4 mounting screws had rusted to the point the disc had become dislodged, so I just pulled it out, I didn't fancy stripping the discs off to get at it.

Is there any major disadvantage to running without these plates?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: Rear Brake Shields

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 am

Not major. The brake won't work quite so well in the rain but you'll probably never notice the difference. Shields are a combination of splash/gravel/dirt protection for the discs, thermal protection for suspension parts and airflow management.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”