ZF 6HP28A61 DIY Mount for Strip-down

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
ATinOf
3rd Gear

ZF 6HP28A61 DIY Mount for Strip-down

Post by ATinOf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Made a start uploading the photos of my Gearbox overhaul to share.

Step 1 is engine removal to be covered in a separate thread
Step 2 is removing the box from the engine (ditto)

Step 3 - How do I handle that bl##dy big box?

This batch show my DIY gearbox mount, making use of my engine stand, since the box weighs some 135kg its not something you can just throw on the bench and rotate and move around easily.

If I was to do this again I would be less concerned about making it universally adjustable and off set the centre of the box higher when mounted; although this model works well you cant spin a fully assembled box the full 360 on my stand (least not with the full transfer/diff on the back end!) As long as the first thing you do is remove the output diff/transfer box its great (and equally last thing you do on assembly) - so given that is the procedure I was pretty happy with this.

2 x 2 Box section, M16 nuts, Bolts, and some 5mm plate I had lying around.This can take my weight standing it!
To get an extra star I should have put a lifting eye in the centre of it to use this for picking it up off the engine instead of my very adhoc method

M16 bolts clearance hole shank side, threaded hole nut side; weld the nuts to the end of the bolt; cut off the head and debur; hey presto a retained adjustable pin that fits the gearbox bosses. Box only needs 3 but I made it with 4 symmetrically - you never know it may come in for other boxes

That webbed plate takes out any flex that may be present

Yes you can buy this attachment from ZF and dealers (bit posher than mine), but have you seen the prices :bash:
Last edited by ATinOf on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

douglas96
2nd Gear

Re: ZF 6HP28A61 DIY Mount for Strip-down

Post by douglas96 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for sharing - I'm sure this will be very helpful in the future for people. The stand looks very good and strong! Good job doing it DIY; it's nice to see some ingenuity! I keep meaning to get myself a welder but every time I think about it, I end up getting something else instead. I'm sure I will at some point, but I haven't had a real need for it yet (touch wood).

A bit of paint on it and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between your's and the ZF one!

I'll share some unusual tools (I mean anything that wouldn't really be standard in someones toolbox) that I've found help me when working on my RS 6 - I haven't done anything as in depth as what you have done (and I hope I don't need to!) but you never know it may help someone out a bit!

I'll have a look tomorrow and post back!

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Re: ZF 6HP28A61 DIY Mount for Strip-down

Post by ATinOf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:54 pm

I actually ran out of shield gas doing this after putting the one web on it to reinforce it, turns out one web is more than enough.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”