Rocker cover gasket

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Rocker cover gasket

Post by c3nturi0n » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:35 am

afternoon,

I noticed small patches of oil around both banks and it seems like rocker cover gaskets are caput :roll: ... any idea of how big of a job that is?

And I suppose one follow up questions is, should that me a major concern or perhaps normal wear and tear (with the car on 100K ish now)?

Cheers
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

douglas96
2nd Gear

Re: Rocker cover gasket

Post by douglas96 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am

If it's just a slight mist of oil and it's not pooling up between the inlets and the heads I wouldn't be worried. Unless it's losing oil over what is specified in the owners manual of course.

Almost every engine I have ever seen has a very small oil seep from the rocker covers.

Best thing to do is to clean it using a degreaser and that will let you see how bad it really is and how long it takes to accumulate.

c3nturi0n
3rd Gear

Post by c3nturi0n » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm

douglas96 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am
If it's just a slight mist of oil and it's not pooling up between the inlets and the heads I wouldn't be worried. Unless it's losing oil over what is specified in the owners manual of course.

Almost every engine I have ever seen has a very small oil seep from the rocker covers.

Best thing to do is to clean it using a degreaser and that will let you see how bad it really is and how long it takes to accumulate.
Thx... that'd be my first point of call.

Has anyone ever done rocker gaskets on V10's? Is it a "common" issue with BUH engines?
2008 RS6 Avant (Monza Silver)
- Stage II MRC tune with gearbox (720PS/850Nm)
- MIJ Powerflow exhaust (non-res)
- H&R ARBs

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Not sure if this album share will work here? Or if I will have attach images separately...

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/ATinOf/ ... r%20Gasket

My starting point will have been different to yours; my engine was out - so you will have the overhead of removing the airbox and charge hose etc but if this helps ...
This was the off side bank; the other is pretty much the same;

I probably removed more than you have to just because I had better access than doing it in situ; book says it can be done in situ.
With the engine in situ I imagine you might have to drop the engine a tad for the last plugs and to access the 2 bolts and bracket for the cable looms behind the timing chain covers (fixed to the rocker covers). Somone may advise this is the case... dont think I would tackle it with engine in situ.

Note I had the diaphragm cover from the fine oil separator loose in the top of the head as is shown on one of the images; Given its size I dont think this would raise problems unless it got chewed up on a rocker and/or subsequent bits worked their way down the oilways. Dont know if this is typical but the replacement fine oil separator although a later version of the same thing has the exact same spoked protector over the diaphragm.

ATinOf
3rd Gear

Post by ATinOf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Seems the album share works but the sequence of the slides is not what it should be, typical ;(

That's better, they're in the right order now ;)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”