Phantom Black front grille

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Chaps and Chapettes,

I’ve recently moved over from the C5 area, got my hands on an ‘09 Plate C6.

Now the previous owner has made some questionable styling choices

This being the first to be rectified (apologies about the cleanliness of the wheels)

Now, onto my next question

Should the outer edge of the grille be black or should it be alloy/silver??

I know already that the intercooler inlet grilles were painted phantom black and should have been flat black, which has now been rectified but this grille is bugging the hell out me.

Can anyone tell me if it could have come out the factory with the black surround?

douglas96
2nd Gear

Re: Phantom Black front grille

Post by douglas96 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi,

The intercooler inlet air guides should actually be "Brilliant Black"

Also the outer edge of the grille should be finished in "Matte Aluminium" as should your wing mirror caps, window surround trims and the roof rails.

P.S. It's nice to see someone taking a car back to standard!

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Thankyou sir!!

“Brilliant Black” that was it, I’ve just bought those intercooler grilles, £80 each from TPS, but they want £600 for the grille!!

It seems the clown has not only painted the outer edge but also the honeycomb too!!!

I want the standard look but for it to have 750hp!!

Can’t get on with the “murdered” look!!!

douglas96
2nd Gear

Post by douglas96 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:13 am

No problem!

Wow, that is a pain - at least if it was wrapped it would be easily reversed. I don't know for sure (I'm sure someone with more experience will be along at some point) but I would assume that if the grille was removed, the aluminium part could detach from the plastic part of the grille. If that were the case I would imagine the paint could be stripped relatively easily from the aluminium and the plastic grille. The plastic grille could then go back to brilliant black and it would be back to standard that way. But, then again, how much is that going to cost compared to a new grille? Was the £600 including VAT? If it was, then that's a good price.

Yeah, I must admit there's far too much black on the car for my taste too!

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 am

It was £600 EX VAT!! But I’m not too worried about the VAT, can maybe loose it Image

Like you say lot of effort to strip it and mess around versus buying a new one.

I’ll see if my man at Audi can do me a better deal, I’ve already picked these wheels up from Germany

Technically they should be titanium in colour but I’m happy to let that slide.

It’s in for a full detail and ceramic coat in 2 weeks as it looks like it’s been cleaned with a Brillo pad!! Then the dreaded 50p oil seal replacement and a new radiator!!

It’s never ending!!!

CHEQUERED
1st Gear

Post by CHEQUERED » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:54 am

dont be too put off by the 50p oil seal, we just did ours and it was easy to do without pulling the motor. The pump comes off pretty easy in place so we did all the pump and drive seals inplace..

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:36 am

CHEQUERED wrote:dont be too put off by the 50p oil seal, we just did ours and it was easy to do without pulling the motor. The pump comes off pretty easy in place so we did all the pump and drive seals inplace..
Thanks

I’m entrusting it to the lads at The Phirm in Blackwater while I’m in America pretending to work!!

They’re confident of doing it with the engine in the car.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00 am

That's interesting - did you have to remove the rear brace? I've looked at things a couple of times recently and can't see how to get to the pump with the brace in place and as the brace carries the engine mounts I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to use a support bar to hold the engine.

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 am

Jim Haseltine wrote:That's interesting - did you have to remove the rear brace? I've looked at things a couple of times recently and can't see how to get to the pump with the brace in place and as the brace carries the engine mounts I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to use a support bar to hold the engine.
I’ll ask the guys when they do mine.

One2Three
Neutral

Post by One2Three » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 am

The Grill do come in an all Black look. my car has it. it is an extra option. as a part here I was quoted £1100 ro replace it. but paid £200 to polish it. I honestly think it looks way better than the Aluminum look. that kind of got old by now.

Usually if your window frame is in black the grill matches that. the RS6 came in standard Silver mirror. that has nothing to do with the Grill frame nor the Windows sealent.

I cannot stand the Black on silver look on a phantom black RS6. it just gives a very C5 look.

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm

One2Three wrote:The Grill do come in an all Black look. my car has it. it is an extra option. as a part here I was quoted £1100 ro replace it. but paid £200 to polish it. I honestly think it looks way better than the Aluminum look. that kind of got old by now.

Usually if your window frame is in black the grill matches that. the RS6 came in standard Silver mirror. that has nothing to do with the Grill frame nor the Windows sealent.

I cannot stand the Black on silver look on a phantom black RS6. it just gives a very C5 look.
Thanks for the input, I’m not worried that it’s black, I’m worried that someone has done it and it wasn’t a factory option so it shouldn’t be on the car.

All my window surrounds are silver.

Not sure what the option code is for the black grille, I’m guessing it could have been specced, or given the fact the intercooler grilles were painted i’m thinking it might also have been painted.

One2Three
Neutral

Post by One2Three » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 am

House89 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm
One2Three wrote:The Grill do come in an all Black look. my car has it. it is an extra option. as a part here I was quoted £1100 ro replace it. but paid £200 to polish it. I honestly think it looks way better than the Aluminum look. that kind of got old by now.

Thanks for the input, I’m not worried that it’s black, I’m worried that someone has done it and it wasn’t a factory option so it shouldn’t be on the car.

All my window surrounds are silver.

Not sure what the option code is for the black grille, I’m guessing it could have been specced, or given the fact the intercooler grilles were painted i’m thinking it might also have been painted.
It should be black plastic, not painted.

Audi dealer or Audi parts can easily check if the car came with that one or not. via your vin #.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:06 am

Just for Info in case someone searches for this later -

The grill part number is - 4F0853651A and then there's 2 characters for the colour combo required and 2 characters for whether your car comes with/without ACC (Advanced Cruise Control) -

LYNP - Gloss black Middle with Matt Aluminium Outer (OEM) without ACC
LY9B - Gloss black all over without ACC
MYNP - Gloss black Middle with Matt Aluminium Outer (OEM) with ACC
MY9B - Gloss black all over with ACC

So 4F0853651AMY9B would be Gloss black all over with ACC for example
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks for the info Ian.

House89
2nd Gear

Post by House89 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Problem solved thanks to Golfather for hooking me up with this genuine grill.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”