I finally have my RS6. A couple of newbie questions.

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
robin993
1st Gear

I finally have my RS6. A couple of newbie questions.

Post by robin993 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi
well after a weeks wait (seemed like a year), I finally made it down to Portsmouth to collect my RS6. I love it, I have had a couple of gentle drives, home with my daughter as a passenger and with my wife following in the family s-max and out just now.
First impressions are that it is a very nice place to be, ample power, torque and toys to keep me happy. Fuel consumption is better than expected. It is a bit noisy, but the inner child likes it. The car is a sepang blue stage 2 MRC avant with just under 60,000 miles and a dyno sheet showing around 750hp.

2 niggles so far.
1. The low oil level warning popped up on the way home, i added 0.5 of a litre and went to buy some more oil today, upon properly checking the level as per the owners manual i find that the level is firmly in the a part of the dip stick, 'do not fill'. The amber warning is still on the dash and comes on with engine start.. do i need to cancel it, i can't see anything in the manual. Or do i assume that the level sensor is dead?

2. The upshift paddle is sometimes stiff, not the normal pleasing click, it is just solid in feel, but the gearbox responds to pressure on the paddle. i banged the wheel and the paddle returned to normal operation and feel. It is like something is floating around in the wheel... is it easy to remove the paddle and clean out whatever is making it jam?

thanks once more to all of you on this excellent forum. hopefully i will be able to contribute soon, rather than just asking questions.

Regards

Robin
:nogarors4:

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Re: I finally have my RS6. a newbie questions.

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm

No, you don't need to clear the 'check oil level warning', it should clear when the level is correct. Oil level should be checked sometime after the engine has stopped (10 minutes I think) and you'll also have to give it some time for the level to settle after you've added oil. Having said that the sensors can be iffy - mine gave an intermitant warning for around a week sometime back even though the level was just into the do not fill section of the dipstick.

robin993
1st Gear

Re: I finally have my RS6. A couple of newbie questions.

Post by robin993 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks Jim
i think that it must be the sensor, I did the idle for 3 mins and then let rest for 2 mins with the oil at 100C as the book suggest. At least the engine didn't burn 1L of oil in 200 miles, which was my big fear. I will see what happens, if it persists i will change the sensor.

I have just found a thread on the paddles, which matches my symptoms exactly and it should be an easy fix.

Thanks Again.

douglas96
2nd Gear

Post by douglas96 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Robin,

Well done on the new car!

It sounds as if the sensor is the cause of this - it is a common problem. I'll find a couple of links later on when I'm back on the computer.

The paddle on the steering wheel - I remember a while ago I saw a thread on the forum about what sounds like the same issue as you have. Again, I'll have a look later on for it.

robin993
1st Gear

Post by robin993 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks douglas,
I found a thread about the paddle and it fits what I have very well .. apparently i have to force the paddle forwards and a little tab inside the paddle will eventually wear away, so no real drama.

A lot of this is that new car paranoia, listening for noises, watching for oil leaks etc..

Ultimately if it breaks I will fix it and expect to spend a little money keeping it going, I had a 930 when i was in my late 20s and had little cash.. this car will be manageable i am sure.

douglas96
2nd Gear

Post by douglas96 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:06 pm

No problem Robin. I take it that this is the thread you found, but here it is anyway - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120828&p=801554

As for the oil level/temperature sensor (G266), according to ElsaWin, the right side headlight has to be removed to replace this.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, I was the same when I got my one!
Attachments
level_sensor_g266 - Copy.png

P300
1st Gear

Post by P300 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 am

The upshift paddle on mine stuck and would still upshift but required quite a bit of pressure to change. It turned out a couple of lugs in the mechanism had broken off and jammed it. Sounds like a pretty common problem so I removed it and sorted it all out as shown in this video (it's a bloke with a TT but the procedure is all the same) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a47ZiKL-v8 It was a simple enough operation and now the paddle has a satisfying click again.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”