9XX build thread

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
sixspeed
3rd Gear

Re: 9XX build thread

Post by sixspeed » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

C6NVS wrote:Here's the Vid.

Doesn't do it justice, I'll try to get a idle and drive-by with less road noise.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/8720hyu3 ... xhaust.mp4
Never heard a Milltek RS6, but that does sound a lot like my H&S system on my '6 if I'm honest. Might try and get some video to compare!

Looking forward to the progression of this project though. Sounds like the outcome should be impressive!
2009 Sepang Blue C6 RS6 Saloon - H&S exhaust with de-cat and Vabric valves - Stage Two MRC next!
2007 Alpine White BMW Z4M Coupe - trackday toy with lots of mods!

Ceveman73
4th Gear

Post by Ceveman73 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Any pics or vids of your H&S system mate?
C6 RS6 Plus with a few sensible mods...

C6NVS
3rd Gear

Post by C6NVS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 am

I remember your vid sixspeed, if def gave me the inspiration to go 3" ( along with the desire to go hybrids at some point ).

Vid in your post here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=104226&hilit=Exhaust&start=15

Definitely similar, although it is hard to truly capture how they sound on vid. Much more impressive in person.

Did you ever get back for adjustment? I know classba and demand went through SEVERAL iterations to remove any boom, but the results from the extra effort are worth it IMO.
Daytona C6 RS6 Avant: Demand Engineering Exhaust (Downpipes custom to tip)
Soon to add: Hybrid Turbos; Uprated Gearbox; Marston Intercoolers; ECU / TCU mapping

sixspeed
3rd Gear

Post by sixspeed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 am

C6NVS wrote:I remember your vid sixspeed, if def gave me the inspiration to go 3" ( along with the desire to go hybrids at some point ).

Vid in your post here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=104226&hilit=Exhaust&start=15
Ahh well remembered! I'd forgotten I posted that vid! :)
C6NVS wrote: Definitely similar, although it is hard to truly capture how they sound on vid. Much more impressive in person.

Did you ever get back for adjustment? I know classba and demand went through SEVERAL iterations to remove any boom, but the results from the extra effort are worth it IMO.
Yes, I fitted two smaller silencers just where the secondary cats used to be and it took any perceptible drone out. I took a fellow rs246'er out the other weekend (i'm terrible with names and have completely forgotten - Nick? - he has a black C5 RS6!) and he commented straight away how drone-free the exhaust was. I'm happy with it, and it cost me a fraction of any off-the-shelf options. Never went for the primary cat replacement though, and probably won't this time around...
2009 Sepang Blue C6 RS6 Saloon - H&S exhaust with de-cat and Vabric valves - Stage Two MRC next!
2007 Alpine White BMW Z4M Coupe - trackday toy with lots of mods!

C6NVS
3rd Gear

Post by C6NVS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Great news you got it sorted. Can't help but think custom is they way to go with our cars, as I have struggled to find an off the shelf exhaust without negatives ( and I've been in, heard and seen most of them).

Key is to find a custom builder who has experience with sorting the drone out, and seems to be a few that can do that now with some different solutions.

I might have followed you to H & S if I knew you had got it sorted, and I did enquire, but downpipes where not something they were willing to tackle, and I knew I just had to have the DP's done as well. POWER !!
Soon to add: Hybrid Turbos; Uprated Gearbox; Marston Intercoolers; ECU / TCU mapping

C6NVS
3rd Gear

Post by C6NVS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Right, well overdue for an update here....

Car is currently in at Race Developments and engine came out yesterday in all it's glory.

I spent half a day in the workshop watching Ricky do the preliminary work, and what struck me was how natural he makes the process look, working away whilst constantly talking to me about anything and everything from family and kids to motorbikes and racing. Not a step missed. True professional and perfectionist.

Good news is no apparent maintenance requirements on the lump, so gearbox to be upgraded, turbos to have the hybrid treatment, and oil pump seals to be replaced as a precaution whilst we are at it.

Will have an update later next week.
Last edited by C6NVS on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kent_andy
4th Gear

Post by kent_andy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:15 pm

sounds like good stuff, will be watching closely!
2020 Range rover Sport SVR Urban
2017 911 991.2 Turbo S
2007 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Gone:-C6 RS6 Saloon - Daytona Grey - ceramics, stage 2, gearbox map, quad tip miltek, pre cat delete and Mrc filters = 753ps + 1052NM

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:49 pm

The boys at RD are superb I had a great service from them
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

classba
Top Gear

Post by classba » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:09 pm

So looking forward to the completion of our 2nd car. :bigblink:

Ricky is The Man.
Too much power is barely enough.

R33
4th Gear

Post by R33 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:19 pm

kent_andy wrote:sounds like good stuff, will be watching closely!
+1, can't wait to hear the good news :thumbs:

Ricky.REP
1st Gear

Post by Ricky.REP » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Thank you for the kind words all!

It is no mean feat dropping the engine from one of these, it is by far the biggest transmission/drivetrain lump imaginable (V10 Touareg is bigger - buts that diesel and so not cool!! lol).

Takes about a day and a half to just get the engine out and the transmission stripped off, then another day to swap the turbo's, service the oil pump and give the engine a bit of TLC before it all gets rebuilt to go back in.

I post quite a few photos of the projects as they progress on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/racedevelopments

So please feel free to have a look and keep up to date, David and Brett get messaged lots of photos daily so I am sure they will post any photos they like on the thread should you guys wish to see them.

Oh btw, the transmission just fits on a euro pallet! lol....thats 1.2 meters!

Any questions guys, please ask.

Cheers Ricky

wrekka
5th Gear

Post by wrekka » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:14 pm

How are you strengthening the transmission?
Sold: 2012 RS3 APR St2 exclusive buckets!
Sold: 2014 Audi S4 Avant Black Edition (too slow as a stock car-doesn't sound good);
2016 RS6 performance with Non-res milltek (gutted to sell it) ;
2014 C7, Misano c6 mrc stage 2. AAS Custom Exhaust, cat bypass, itg filters. 731ps 1058nm. Superrbike quick!
TTS RS4 -amazing machine,
Previous:
many, many cars; all great and well-remembered!

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 pm

My guess if it's being done by Ricky and co is they will be super finishing all the metal components in the gearbox.
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

C6NVS
3rd Gear

Post by C6NVS » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 am

I'm not the expert, but some of the detail I know is:
+ Uprated torque converter
+ Uprated friction plates
+ Value body changes

I was considering not doing the gearbox until it failed, but after driving David's with the gearbox done, the decision was simple. It is as close to DSG as I suspect a TC transmission can get. The real icing on the cake to compliment the power mods, and some piece of mind.

classba
Top Gear

Post by classba » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:47 am

C6NVS wrote:I'm not the expert, but some of the detail I know is:
+ Uprated torque converter
+ Uprated friction plates
+ Value body changes

I was considering not doing the gearbox until it failed, but after driving David's with the gearbox done, the decision was simple. It is as close to DSG as I suspect a TC transmission can get. The real icing on the cake to compliment the power mods, and some piece of mind.
Bretto, sorry to chip in.... The uprated gearbox consists of the following upgrades:

New improved torque converter, high performance thinner friction and steel plates (more than OEM), seals, bushings, solenoids, improved valve body and better oil.
Too much power is barely enough.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”