RS6 C6 Shocks

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Guldgrabb
Neutral

RS6 C6 Shocks

Post by Guldgrabb » Thu May 25, 2023 12:43 pm

Hello wonderful people! I am a new member on the forum and a proud owner of a c6 rs6 that I just bought.

The car had 188.000km and needs a little love, starting with the suspension. I need new shocks on the front, but these are hella expensive and I cant seem to find any pair that will fit except for OEM from dealer.

I am however trying to find out if the c6 S6 shocks will fit on the rs6? I know they have a different part number, but absoloutley every other part for the struts are the same. The S6 shocks costs 220€ from dealer while the RS6 ones costs 950€.

My questions is, are the S6 shocks compatible in the front/and rear? My RS6 does not have the audi drive select function. And if there is any place online that sells shocks for the RS6, I would be very greatful for a link as I cant seem to find anything.

I am attaching photos from ETKA for both the RS and S model.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

cammmy
2nd Gear

Re: RS6 C6 Shocks

Post by cammmy » Thu May 25, 2023 1:54 pm

I can't answer your question but I would suggest searching around to see if there's anyone who can rebuild the existing ones. It's likely that there's someone who will be able to

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm

Drive select you mean the sport suspension plus?

When you press the CAR button on the MMI do you get this image?

If so then you can only fit the rs6 specific shock absorber.

You can try and find a used pair, but it's always a risk.

I have a full set used, bought in good faith which I wanted as a spare set, but I have no way of knowing if they work unless they are fitted.

Also due to the DRC system, the shock absorbers can only be fitted in shops that have the tool to drain and refit the drc fluids.Image

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Guldgrabb
Neutral

Post by Guldgrabb » Fri May 26, 2023 12:37 am

VaudiGR wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm
Drive select you mean the sport suspension plus?

When you press the CAR button on the MMI do you get this image?

If so then you can only fit the rs6 specific shock absorber.

You can try and find a used pair, but it's always a risk.

I have a full set used, bought in good faith which I wanted as a spare set, but I have no way of knowing if they work unless they are fitted.

Also due to the DRC system, the shock absorbers can only be fitted in shops that have the tool to drain and refit the drc fluids.Image

No when i press car i get menu with different options like exterior lightning ambient lightning acc etc. The attachment i posted with stated model RS6 is my vin and number 11 is 4F0 412 019 A & 20 A is part number that dealer gets up for my car. 4F0 413 031 BT is part number from a random S6 C6 to compare. All the parts are the same part number except for the shock absorber itself.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Fri May 26, 2023 6:38 am

Any change in code part number is a different item and likely may fit but won't work.

Please check If you have the option I showed you, this will clarify things

Guldgrabb
Neutral

Post by Guldgrabb » Fri May 26, 2023 6:50 am

VaudiGR wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:38 am
Any change in code part number is a different item and likely may fit but won't work.

Please check If you have the option I showed you, this will clarify things

As I said above, I do not have this menu when I press the Car button.

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Fri May 26, 2023 11:20 am

In that case you don't have the sport suspension plus shocks in which case the shocks should be cheaper a great deal

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri May 26, 2023 9:57 pm

I believe that there are two types of DRC shocks. There are 3-stage used by sports suspension plus (standard fit for UK market) and then there are single stage.
Take a look at one of your shocks - has it got a flexible hose attached?

Guldgrabb
Neutral

Post by Guldgrabb » Sat May 27, 2023 11:35 pm

Jim Haseltine wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:57 pm
I believe that there are two types of DRC shocks. There are 3-stage used by sports suspension plus (standard fit for UK market) and then there are single stage.
Take a look at one of your shocks - has it got a flexible hose attached?
I will check them out, just haven’t had the time yet. I have however compared the part numbers for the front suspension of s6 vs rs6, and all the part numbers are identical except for the shock… what is the difference and why is there a difference? Or is it all just fraud. Im attaching photos from ETKA. As you can see in the pdf, I have check marked every matching part number, and the differences in only 1 letter on few, and a couple ones with different part number but same size bolt/nut etc. I find it very strange. Hope we will be able to find out, as S6 parts are much easier to find and a lot cheaper.
Attachments
C6_RS6_C6_S6.pdf
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 30 times

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:30 am

S6 struts are simple traditional Gas Struts whereas the RS6 strut uses a gas strut with an extra section built-in for DRC, the hydraulic system which physically links all the suspension struts together with a pump that moves hydraulic oil between all of the struts so that they can all act on each other to provide additional anti-roll and anti pitch (brake/accel) elements to keep the car "flatter" than just a simple Gas Strut can.

There was an optional extra for the DRC in Europe called DRC Sports Suspension Plus which allows the driver to select from 3 different damping rates for the DRC via the MMI, this is standard fit on UK cars but from the looks of yours (based on your MMI menu) you only have the standard DRC suspension struts.

So, if you fit S6 gas struts then you will lose all of those extra DRC functions and you would need to do extra work to blank off/drain the DRC fluids and connections on the car, plus disable the pump and you may end up with error codes and warning lights on the dash. This would be similar to a C6 RS6 owner fitting KW or Bilstein after-market struts - Yes it would work but it wouldn't handle exactly the same afterwards (most people on this forum who have swapped C6 RS6 suspension go for KW).

Now, if you are driving your car on track or hard around corners on the road, then you'll find the difference between S6 gas struts and RS6 DRC struts to be a negative as you will lose the additional anti-roll/anti-pitch elements that DRC brings vs the simpler gas strut S6 suspension. However if you are only driving fast in a straight-line and then taking it easy on the bends then you'll probably not notice any difference.

Those are the differences between the S6 and RS6 struts, hope that helps.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Guldgrabb
Neutral

Post by Guldgrabb » Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 am

IanH755 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 7:30 am
S6 struts are simple traditional Gas Struts whereas the RS6 strut uses a gas strut with an extra section built-in for DRC, the hydraulic system which physically links all the suspension struts together with a pump that moves hydraulic oil between all of the struts so that they can all act on each other to provide additional anti-roll and anti pitch (brake/accel) elements to keep the car "flatter" than just a simple Gas Strut can.

There was an optional extra for the DRC in Europe called DRC Sports Suspension Plus which allows the driver to select from 3 different damping rates for the DRC via the MMI, this is standard fit on UK cars but from the looks of yours (based on your MMI menu) you only have the standard DRC suspension struts.

So, if you fit S6 gas struts then you will lose all of those extra DRC functions and you would need to do extra work to blank off/drain the DRC fluids and connections on the car, plus disable the pump and you may end up with error codes and warning lights on the dash. This would be similar to a C6 RS6 owner fitting KW or Bilstein after-market struts - Yes it would work but it wouldn't handle exactly the same afterwards (most people on this forum who have swapped C6 RS6 suspension go for KW).

Now, if you are driving your car on track or hard around corners on the road, then you'll find the difference between S6 gas struts and RS6 DRC struts to be a negative as you will lose the additional anti-roll/anti-pitch elements that DRC brings vs the simpler gas strut S6 suspension. However if you are only driving fast in a straight-line and then taking it easy on the bends then you'll probably not notice any difference.

Those are the differences between the S6 and RS6 struts, hope that helps.

Thank you! Great explained. Seems like its just better to go for the coilover set from KW as it costs just as much as a pair of front shocks, and then you will be getting new struts and springs around the entire car at least. Would not blocking these drc lines etc be a complicated job even when fitting the coilovers just like you write about the S6 Shocks? Kw are the better pick I guess since most people are going for it?

What about rest of the suspension? Like control arms, links, bushings etc. If I order a control arm kit for the S6 from FCP Euro, it would still fit the rs6 with no difference?

Also going a little offtopic, some engine parts like the intake manifold gaskets, fuel injectors, sparkplugs, coils, maybe the AC condenser (because mines leaking) etc from the 5.2L S6, would they not be the same as the RS?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sun May 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Some parts fit, some parts don't. Audi have a habit of specifying different threads on parts for different models so a part for one model which LOOKS to be the same as a part with a different part number suffix for a different model won't accept the fittings. It can leave you trying to work out how to get a M10x1 banjo to hold in a socket intended to take a M12x1.5 fitting.
There's also an element of misinformation in Audi parts lists whereby they do their best to hide that some of their parts are all sourced from one supplier and carry the same manufacturer's reference.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun May 28, 2023 5:29 pm

Guldgrabb wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 am
Would not blocking these drc lines etc be a complicated job even when fitting the coilovers just like you write about the S6 Shocks? Kw are the better pick I guess since most people are going for it?
KW is the popular choice but there has been only a few UK people on here who have swapped from DRC as generally the DRC gives a better handling performance with our UK Suspension Plus version (usually people who swap want a lower car).

With the KW you still have to go through draining the hyd oil, blanking/removing pipes, disable pump etc that you would with S6 struts.
Guldgrabb wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 am
What about rest of the suspension? Like control arms, links, bushings etc. If I order a control arm kit for the S6 from FCP Euro, it would still fit the rs6 with no difference?
The track-rod ends won't as the RS6 is wider and the bushing in the rear lower arms (front suspension) in the RS6 is stiffer than the ones for the S6 ones, other than that, an S6 suspension arm kit from someone like Meyle or Lemforder etc will physically fit an RS6 with only those few "RS6 Only" bits needed.

If you just wanted to re-bush your existing suspension arms with Poly-Bushes, then this Bushing kit - https://www.strongflex.eu/en/tuleje-pol ... 2_x_021770 - was fitting by RossH14 in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=118103&hilit=meyle ... 15#p843863 - and he really liked it.
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”