Engine Drop, Anything we should keep in mind?

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Newb
Neutral

Engine Drop, Anything we should keep in mind?

Post by Newb » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:43 pm

Hello there, this is my first forum post here after owning a 2010RS6 for 40.000 miles (130.000 miles total).

We need to replace the steering house (i have no clue if i managed to translate that correctly, please find it marked in yellow in the image below) and to do so we need to take the engine out.

Considering the time and effort an engine out operation usually is: are there any other things we should keep in mind?
We are checking all gaskets and oil/fuel lines and have recently had all fluids and filters done.

We would like some feedback on the following three quirks
  • we have a secondary air injection error message every now and then, and this limits the revs to 4000rpm
  • since a very short while the car seems to be idling at a much higher rpm when the engine is hot. about this secondary air thing we arent sure if it is an actual problem, however the idling is quite annoying as 12-1400 rpm do make a certain sound...
  • It seems to have a tough time starting when its cold outside

Are there any other things we should take into consideration?

welwynnick
4th Gear

Re: Engine Drop, Anything we should keep in mind?

Post by welwynnick » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:06 pm

Yes there are lots of little things you should do with the engine out. You can be sure that lots of people will chime in with this list:

Replace the infamous O-ring seal on the aux drive shaft.
Replace the water pipes that run into the right hand wheel arch, as they always rust.
Replace the Lambda sensors as a precaution.
Make sure the studs on the turbo outlets are in good condition.
Inspect the complex crankcase and turbo breather system.
There are lots of rubber and plastic components that become brittle and fragile with heat over time.

In general, I would get familiar with Audi Self Study Programme VAG SSP 431 for the RS6.
It won't tell you what's likely to go wrong, but you need to know what everything does.
Familiarity with other cars will not prepare you for the RS6:

https://www.ianhenshall.com/C6_RS6_Study_Guide.pdf

Nick

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:39 pm

Thanks nick, and anyone else that would like to chime in :)

also we were asked about timing chains, but cant dont find anything on those so we would like some feedback.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:39 pm

Check the condition of the starter solenoid and the starter cable, mine were seriously cooked at 116K miles. I wish I'd changed the lambda sensors at the same time as one of them (left bank pre cat, so the most difficult) is now throwing a code every couple of weeks.
Timing chains - some need them doing by 120K miles, usually because of worn/broken guides, while other just go on and on and on.

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:30 pm

welwynnick wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:06 pm
Yes there are lots of little things you should do with the engine out. You can be sure that lots of people will chime in with this list:

Replace the infamous O-ring seal on the aux drive shaft.
Replace the water pipes that run into the right hand wheel arch, as they always rust.
Replace the Lambda sensors as a precaution.
Make sure the studs on the turbo outlets are in good condition.
Inspect the complex crankcase and turbo breather system.
There are lots of rubber and plastic components that become brittle and fragile with heat over time.

In general, I would get familiar with Audi Self Study Programme VAG SSP 431 for the RS6.
It won't tell you what's likely to go wrong, but you need to know what everything does.
Familiarity with other cars will not prepare you for the RS6:

https://www.ianhenshall.com/C6_RS6_Study_Guide.pdf

Nick
Nick, im making a bill of materials, do you have product numbers for the o-ring, water pipes and lambda sensors?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 pm

Pump shaft seal (drive gear end - the cheap one) N 904 608 01
Pump shaft seal (pump end - the pricey one) WHT 003 731
Coolant pipes 4F0121169 & 4F0819278A
Lambda sensors 07L 906 262 H (pre-cat bank 1)
07L 906 262 G (pre-cat bank 2)
1K0 998 262 E (2x post cats)

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:15 pm

Thank you so much Jim!

They will arrive monday and Tuesday is engine out!

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:38 pm

so, small update:

all plastics - replaced
cable that was nomt on by rhodent - replaced
seals - replaced

oh and ofcourse the steerhouse that the engine went out for in the first place...

now some questions remain, the car seems to have difficulty starting, we cant seem to find people to rebuild the starter engine, do we buy a new one?
the swirlflaps cause the occasional warning light - do these have any risk of breaking and flying into the engine like some BMW's used to have?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:12 am

I bought a new starter - mainly because I didn't have a great deal of time to play with so couldn't wait for a rebuild.

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:56 pm

in the intake, there is these flaps that control airflow, they are made of plastic, and the do-good-er in me thinks i should replace them as they might have also degraded in quality due to the sheer volumes of air that are being sucked in and the hot-ness of the beloved 10-cilinder engine.

should i>?
ive seen no records of them ever failing and being sucked into the engine (causing catastrophic failure)... i mean, people would share those horror stories on here yes?

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Unlike with some other models, I've never heard of the flaps breaking on the V10. When I had my inlet manifold off to de-carbon the valves I took the chance to clean up the flaps and ensure that they operated smoothly. I saw no evidence of cracks or damage to them and the operating mechanism.

Newb
Neutral

Post by Newb » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:54 pm

It kinda tickles... I might want to upgrade my turboes.

Any input?

VaudiGR
3rd Gear

Post by VaudiGR » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:21 am

Although people find off the shelf solutions a turbo Shop here in Greece mentioned that the hotside on these turbos is very thin and upgrading to hotside larger wheels ultimately weakens the hotside and makes it prone to cracking easier. With that in mind you could upgrade the coldside a pinch to aim for 800 to 850hp which would also be more reliable for the gearbox as well

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”