Wagner intercooler kit

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
R56 ROB
Neutral

Wagner intercooler kit

Post by R56 ROB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi, fitted the new Wagner intercooler kit last week. All went well, fairly straightforward fitting. Must of drained approximately 10+ litres when I changed and fitted new radiators to the new position upfront all connected to a new bumper bar.

I've been filling up with coolant, gradually, trying to get any trapped air out. Must of put in nearly 3 x 5l bottles is coolant. Checking and topping up after every drive. Is there a better way of getting trapped air out?? Seem to be topping up all the time

Any advice shared would be great thanks

Rob

Pinkfoot
1st Gear

Re: Wagner intercooler kit

Post by Pinkfoot » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:15 am

When I fixed my corroded water pipes, I just drove the car until the temperature started to rise above normal and then turned it off for a while and had no more problems.

IanH755
Top Gear

Post by IanH755 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 am

IIRC the new "single" Wagner Radiator (well two welded together anyway) has a greater volume than the two smaller OEM radiators it replaces (I think it was around twice as much) so it'll need a lot more bleeding and coolant to fully finish.

That kit is something I'm thinking about doing, were there any specific issues during fitting to look out for and have you seen any benefit afterwards yet?
***OLD*** Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 500HP & 820NM (PistonHeads Link).

***NEW*** Daytona C6 RS6 Avant - MRC'd - 955HP & 1200NM (PistonHeads Link)

R56 ROB
Neutral

Post by R56 ROB » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:19 pm

There is one particular part where fitting the new top silicone hose on the left side of the car. There is no way on god's earth you can squeeze your hands in to remove it, so, I purchased an inline plastic hose connector and cut the excess silicone hose off and connected with jubilee clips. Works fine like that. Some of the hose clips are bloody hard to remove. I used a multi tool to cut them off!

rs6_sid
2nd Gear

Post by rs6_sid » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 am

Yes you need to vacuum fill the system ideally that’s the official way to do it
c6 rs6 avant- mrc stage 2 -current
bmw e61 m5 saloon
s3 8p stage 2
vw bora tdi hybrid turbo

welwynnick
4th Gear

Post by welwynnick » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 am

IanH755 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 am
IIRC the new "single" Wagner Radiator (well two welded together anyway) has a greater volume than the two smaller OEM radiators it replaces (I think it was around twice as much) so it'll need a lot more bleeding and coolant to fully finish.
Funnily enough both those radiators contain engine coolant, which makes you wonder why there are two - plus the radiator above is just cooling the engine coolant that cools the gearbox.

It's a barking bonkers cooling system and it's no wonder it needs vacuum filling - a confession of failure if ever there was one. I got a vacuum filler for my Merc V12TT charge cooling system, which worked well when it worked, but it was a TERRIBLE system.

Nick

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”