Special tools for engine out

5.0 V10 50v biturbo - 571 bhp
Superflyte
Neutral

Special tools for engine out

Post by Superflyte » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:02 am

I'm preparing to pull the engine and trans from my RS6, and wanted to know if there are any special tools required?

12 point sockets? Special clip release tools? A big set if balls? Anything like that?

I have a hoist, and will be taking tons of pics to create a downloadable pdf for others, since the images on the (awesome) thread on here can't be accessed anymore :)
Last edited by Superflyte on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbourne
2nd Gear

Re: Special tools for engine out

Post by jbourne » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:13 am

This would be very helpful. I don’t know when my engine’s going to have to come out, but it looks like with the C6 it’s not an if, but a when - either light bulbs, or oil leak, or some hose, or probably just a windshield washer fluid flush, or maybe the neighbour’s car may throw a fit and my engine will have to come out. Will be helpful for that time. :)

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am

Off the top of my head (mainly because I can't remember which tools I bought for the job and which I already had)
Linked tools are no recommendation, just examples
An engine leveller - mine which I already had, is the absolute minimum you can use - and then only after you've upgraded the chains and connectors as the ones supplied are NOT man enough for the V10 and box combination.
Clip pliers - you can't have too many as each clip seems to need a different angle of attack. A remote tool is essential.
Don't think there's anywhere that you actually NEED 12-point sockets but I certainly used mine (both 3/8" and 1/2") when access was restricted.
A decent length 3/8" breaker bar.
Deep offset ring spanner(s) - ISTR it was either a 18mm or 19mm
An excellent vocabulary of swear words
Cat/dog/small child to kick

I'll probably remember more later.

Oh, and installing the right browser extension allows you to see the Photobucket pics. Took me two attempts to find one that works with my version of Chrome.

Jim Haseltine
4th Gear

Post by Jim Haseltine » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 pm

A rotator ratchet is REALLY useful - I've got one of these. Ideal for things like the hose clamps on the intercooler hoses where you haven't much room to use a normal ratchet.

Return to “RS6 / RS6 Plus (C6 Typ 4F) 2008-2010”