S8 D3 - MMI 2G to 3G conversion completed (almost)

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 444 bhp
craigyb
3rd Gear

S8 D3 - MMI 2G to 3G conversion completed (almost)

Post by craigyb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I've been working on this project for over 5 months on and off, I've had weeks of silence in my car and non functioning radio/media and phone system. But the navigation has always worked along with voice guidance. Today I got two of the final parts, the B&O amplifier and the new style HVAC control panel. After CP was removed and some coding done I now have sound and a phone system with AC controls I can access.

My old S8 had AMI, MP3 CD changer, DAB, TV, Nav, SDS, Phone prep high, Adavanced park, fingerprint recognition, RSE.

The new spec is now

AMI, MP3 CD changer, DVD player, 30GB jukebox, DAB, TV, Nav, SDS, 2x SD cards, phone prep high, Advanced park, RSE.

The SDS now accepts spoken words, rather than just spelling of words. The navigation is now the best of the RNS-E with split screens, turn lists, junctions etc and the power of the MMI and the 3D graphics and high res screen. Also you now have the SD cards back and a 30GB juke box to boot which you can import and rip from the SD/CD.

Basically every part of the MMI system has been replaced with new parts except for the speakers and secondary B&O amplifier. Wiring looms have been created between the MMI panel and the new 5F module which replaces the 07/77/SDS/37/AMI components of the previous setup.

I'd like to thank Ladan for his help with coding etc and the numerous others that have contributed in one way or another, I have called in lots of favours and mithered the hell out of my local Master Techs. And although I still have a few issues to iron out (TPMS etc) everything seems to be working.

The MMI has been updated to version 32 wth the 8R0 update CD and I have a 2009 MMI 3G on it's way to update the navgation mapping, happy days.

The cost is excessive as in the UK, the HVAC control panel alone costs nearly £1K.
Attachments
nav.jpg
5F.jpg
AMI.jpg

craigyb
3rd Gear

Post by craigyb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 pm

More pics
Attachments
climate.jpg
media.jpg
claimate2.jpg

RS2_Russ
1st Gear

Post by RS2_Russ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Wow, quite a project!
Was it worth it? Love the 3D, but I don't drive around Paris (Eiffel Tower in advert for MMI3G) much!
Russ
01 Goodwood Green RS4. Stage II MRC (460BHP/480lbft).
Audi S8 5.2 V10 Daytona Grey, RS4-type alloys, B&O sound [Gone]
95 Ragussa Green RS2, unmodified and great [Gone]

Return to “S8 (D3 Typ 4E) 2002-2009”