Buying tips/advice

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 429bhp
travs
2nd Gear

Buying tips/advice

Post by travs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi All,

Having been an S4 Avant owner a good few years ago I've been keen to return to the Fast Estate fold and now have managed to convince the wife to go for an S6 V10.

I've looked through here already, plowed through the brochure to identify what was standard and optional, and only come up with the de-coking of the heads (or replacement of inlet manifold?) that is an issue on these.

Is there anything 'model specific' I should be looking for or looking to avoid? ie certain facelift improvements or certain options to plump for or avoid?

Thanks in advance
Lee
Written-off: Night Blue Metallic S6 5.2 V10 - Private plate, LED interior kit.
Sold:
Hibiscus Red Metallic S4 (B5 99.5) w/AmD Stage 1 Remap, RS4 Exhaust w/ Gutted Precats & R32 Tailpipes, Afterun Sensor, H&R Coilovers

legacydan
Neutral

Re: Buying tips/advice

Post by legacydan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Yep as mentioned, i would look for one with advanced keyless entry(engine start/stop button), factory front and rear parking sensors, sunroof, and preferably the facelift model which has the nicer rear LED tail light setup. I would try get one that already has the milltek exhaust or similar it really helps unlock the v10 noise. They seem pretty reliable from my few months of use. Just remember servicing, 11 liters of oil and coolants, sore more expensive than your s4 also 10 x plugs and coilpacks which can also be hard to troubleshoot the exact faulty one. Also the throttle bodies can give grief, and contacts in the motor can wear down causing it not being able to hold steady revs.

PCV air oil separator valve at the back of the block can be prone to breaking, causing oil residue to leak down the back of the block
Thermostat housing gasket can perish and leak over time
Coolant tank can crack causing leaks too
Also some of the 02 sensors can give grief depending on mileage and cause CEL light to come on, i think there is 8 in total. To change some of them, its engine out job!

travs
2nd Gear

Post by travs » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Ok, that's cool, thanks for the advice.
Seem to have flown in the face of the advice here - bought an early one and none of the advertised options; well Bose, but I think its harder to get one without judging by the ads that I've seen.
Options it has are heated memory seats, Bose, Nappa Leather, DAB module, Auto-dimming mirror, Bluetooth connection, Folding door mirrors, rear parking sensors, voice control.
Night Blue metallic and Cream interior. There was one with a Milltek but nothing around with keyless entry which I've seen is an option. The thing I've found is that when you start with the key you don't hold it against the spring until the car starts, you just flick it over and let it come back and the car goes through the start process.

Thanks for the tips on servicing; I'll make sure I set some dosh aside; you change the coilpacks at the service or just when you've been looking for a misfire? I've seen service history for a replaced oil breather pipe; I've also seen reference to the CV boots; it failed its last MOT on one and the garage that I bought the car from also dealt with another.

Milltek will probably come in time (although I think the quieter of the two options); I've also seen no reference to the De-coking in the history so I'm bearing that in mind too...
Sold:
Hibiscus Red Metallic S4 (B5 99.5) w/AmD Stage 1 Remap, RS4 Exhaust w/ Gutted Precats & R32 Tailpipes, Afterun Sensor, H&R Coilovers

travs
2nd Gear

Post by travs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:12 pm

It was indeed; I guess there aren't too many around not to be identified easily! I don't know what their reputation is like but they seemed to deal in plenty of uber-machinery so hopefully they take care of things. They did a couple of things in sales-prep which was good of them.

Very impressed with the whole car so far; coming from a Mk1 Skoda Fabia vRS you can imagine I'm enjoying a whole host of refinements; you can really feel the weight under braking; have to adjust my driving style for that.
Does it also have a variable steering weight? Feels different sometimes but not sure if that's just in my head.
I also don't know whether the iPod interface was just a Dension Gateway 500 but that's what this has; no cradle in the glovebox but just a cable poking out. Good enough for me and it basically gives the MMI CD7-12 in the changer so easy to deal with.

I've noticed the Satnav doesn't pick up as many mini-roundabouts so I'm assuming its old. I've found a website www.audisatnavs.co.uk which does both a MMI2G firmware update and 2016 Europe DVD for cheaper than I imagined - are these as good/kosher as they seem?
Sold:

Return to “S6 (C6 Typ 4F) 2006-2011”