oil separator diy replacement?

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 429bhp
tmg
3rd Gear

oil separator diy replacement?

Post by tmg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:26 pm

hey

so have anyone ever DIY replaced the oil separator?

i've taken a look, and while one bolt is a pain to get at, whats the deal with the piping underneath?

I have a weep down the back of the block somewhere (nothing of note, and no real volume of oil getting out) and this is the prime suspect, as the base of the valve is somewhat oily to the touch!

this thing for reference
p4pb11802241.jpg
t.

tmg
3rd Gear

Re: oil separator diy replacement?

Post by tmg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:28 pm

so charged up the old inspection scope today and yeah - the separator is leaking. from the diagram, there appears to be a small hose clamp underneath, and while the bottom bolt is a bugger to get at, I have a low profile wrench that can get in there.

so question really becomes if anyone has done this, and if there is enough play in that hose to get the thing out ?

no-one? :)

t.

tmg
3rd Gear

Post by tmg » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:00 pm

so the part arrived today (part no. 079 103 464 d), and thanks to barryrs as well for his help (he's had to do this too).

short version, its easy enough to do.

- airbox ->throttle body pipe off (two big jubilee clips so easy enough)

- remove breather piping from the oil separator and the crank case, secure elsewhere (duct tape provided the help for me)

- remove top two bolts (easy enough, torx t30 heads)

- remove bolt underneath the circular part - this is a pain!. I had a very low profile bit ratchet (http://goo.gl/Yc31di ) that has saved me a few times, I taped it up to an extension bar from a 1/4 inch socket set to get it a tad longer, so it was easier to access from the side.
I got one hand to it and guided the socket in, and it was nice and easy to loosen up.
once I got it out a few turns, i reverted to an old trick, and got some heavy thread tied around it (and a good job too, as its bloody awkward to get out without dropping) - see below
IMG_20150902_201408.jpg
- manoeuvered the separator out to the left hand side of the engine bay (looking at it from the front) and there was enough space to get at the piping on the bottom of the thing

- the pipe is held in place with a standard audi crimp clip, so light application of a needle nose pliers loosened it up enough to ease it off

- new separator put in place, and pipe re-attached with a jubilee clip (the crimp clip was actually re-usable, but didnt want to chance it)

- putting it back in is straightforward enough, apart again from the bottom bolt. thread around it again, and a needle nose pliers to insert it from the left hand side, and use your other hand to guide it in and get a turn on it, then you are good to go. if you have big paws like me, this is a pain

but all done now, engine was smooth before, but much better now!

hth

t.

travs
2nd Gear

Post by travs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Great write-up - thanks for spelling it all out despite no replies. Something that's on the watch-list for things so good to know you've covered it.
Written-off: Night Blue Metallic S6 5.2 V10 - Private plate, LED interior kit.
Sold:
Hibiscus Red Metallic S4 (B5 99.5) w/AmD Stage 1 Remap, RS4 Exhaust w/ Gutted Precats & R32 Tailpipes, Afterun Sensor, H&R Coilovers

Return to “S6 (C6 Typ 4F) 2006-2011”