front discs and pads change

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 429bhp
tmg
3rd Gear

front discs and pads change

Post by tmg » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:06 pm

So had a very squeaky set of discs with quite a bit of lip on them the last while. I decided to sort it out properly, and ordered up a set of ATE discs and pads for the car.

interestingly, the damn things are so large, my local parts crew couldnt get them in overnight as they were too heavy! anyhow, everything showed up on friday, and popped the car up today and changed them out.

great video on how to do c6 a6 discs & pads here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBzEk72sMr0 and he has quite a few other interesting bits & pieces on the c6 platform in general.

overall, its very similar to the video - 7mm hex head for the caliper, 21mm bolts for the carrier, t30 for the disc orientation screw.

a couple of minor changes for our cars compared to standard a6:

- the caliper has two pistons, so if (like me) you are changing the pads, its easier to leave the piston side pad on, and push back both together with a piston tool thing (I leave the brake fluid reservoir open, tightly packed around with an old rag when pushing back the pistons - my pads & discs were worn enough that I had to remove some fluid for this change too!) .

- the spring on the outside of the caliper is a little different shaped, but basically the same concept.

- the discs are quite quite heavy, so when they come off, be prepared (it might be a good idea to have spare pair of hands!)

- the pads on the outside of the disc also have spring clips to align them on the s6.

so all round a relatively quick thing to do on a saturday!

cheers

t.

Return to “S6 (C6 Typ 4F) 2006-2011”