eps/epc errors and a fix....

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 429bhp
tmg
3rd Gear

eps/epc errors and a fix....

Post by tmg » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:27 pm

So...

a short version of a long story

so I was getting misfires on cylinders 6/7/8 in my s6, and an o2 sensor error. main symptoms were the car running a little lumpy when at idle every now and then, and every so often, esp/epc lights, and limp mode. I was also getting a throttle angle sensor fault on the 1-5 bank side

So I decided to sort it out starting with the easiest things. Changed out the coilpacks on 6/7/8 (they were originals, but audi Ireland disavow all knowledge of a recall so it probably needed to be done, but after a few days, was still getting the o2 sensor error.

luckily enough it was the pre-cat sensor for bank 3, which is easily accessible from underneath the car, so ordered one up and changed it out.

This fixed the rumble at idle, but then I got a "lean mix" error on that bank. So took a look, and as I had installed 2 new K&N filters quite recently, pulled out the MAF and gave it a quick clean with the traditional ziploc bag of isopropyl alcohol. there was quite a lot of oil coming out the bottom of the filter, so i am guessing it was the usual K&N over oiling thing.

popped the MAF back in, and so far all is well (and for good luck, cleaned the one on the other side too). Also ran a throttle body adapt on each TB as well.

The TB error seemed to come and go, so I popped that off too, and opened up the electrics pod on the side of it. The TB itself had a good scrub a few weeks earlier, and I cleaned all the electrical contacts with contact cleaner, and gave the brushes a little tweak up as well to make sure that there was good contact.

popped it all back in, and all seemed well for a week or so. then, after hitting a bit of a speed bump, got the code back again. when I got to where I was going, I took a look, and just pushed on the TB plug so make sure it was seated etc. it wasn't loose, but the car ran fine for another while. then another bump, then a repeat.

having a look around on the topic of throttle bodies (mine seemed to be ok from my quick inspection and a quick continuity check), came across this link - http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2825836 and on the back of it, ordered up a new plug, and a set of wires ( 1 x 1J0-973-713 for the plug) and 5 wires which give you 10 ends if you split them - 000-979-131-E (and they come in a 5 pack, so it might be worth your while to buy the 5). some soldering and shrink wrap later, and it has at least gone away for the moment so here's hoping.

so there you go

and I thought my old c5 rs6 was interesting

but so far I have to say I am quite enjoying my s6.

t.

tmg
3rd Gear

Re: eps/epc errors and a fix....

Post by tmg » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:32 pm

so as a follow on to this, I got the same type of error and a p3028 again last week. from a quick look with torque over a BT adaptor, it looked like the same thing again. I took a quick visual on the TB on the 1-5 side (that I had repaired) and it looked fine.

got the car home (verrrrryyyyy sloooooowlly) and hooked up VCDS, which told me straight away that it was the TB on bank 2 that had the problem (the other side of the V). VCDS pays for itself again, but I digress

ordered up the parts from audi again, and did another bit of soldering over the weekend, and codes cleared, and car driving very nicely again.

has anyone else had this? seems a random thing to go (twice now)

t.

Golffather
4th Gear

Re: eps/epc errors and a fix....

Post by Golffather » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Good to hear all sorted. I've had misfire codes randomly thrown up, some never to return, others come back sporadically.

Not faced your particular issue

Return to “S6 (C6 Typ 4F) 2006-2011”