resonated or non-resontated

5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 429bhp
tmg
3rd Gear

resonated or non-resontated

Post by tmg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 pm

hi

so after hearing some pretty cool sounds on YouTube, I am deeply conflicted about exhausts :)

I have a c5 rs6 with the plus exhausts (allegedly similar to the milltek resonated system) and thats about loud enough for me.

not sure how loud the non-resonated is outside the cabin when not flooring it, and how loud it is inside when flooring it - any guidance from folks would be appreciated !

t.

Woly64
3rd Gear

Re: resonated or non-resontated

Post by Woly64 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm

If you want to appreciate the V10 fully then it has to be non resonated - the sound insulation on the C6 cabin is another couple of notches up fom the C5 don't forget
Currently floating along in a 2020 Magnetic Grey Bentley Continental GT & bouncing around in a Navarro S3 black edition
2009 C6 Avant NR Milly, MRC Stage 2/gearbox, MTM 21'' bimotos, H&R arb's, KW coil overs, 756ps & 1085 Nm (now in Simon’s safe hands)
C5 RS6+ No 315 in Metallic Silver (gone but never to be forgotten)
S8 V10 awesome engine but taxi-like gearbox - had to get back to RS motoring
C5 RS6 in Avus Silver - the 1st RS experience
:-)

barryrs
3rd Gear

Post by barryrs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:53 am

I have a resonated system on mine and prefer it personally.

Sounds great when you give it some beans and simply put the windows down when you want full effect; the upshot for me is that the exhaust sounds pretty such stock (from the inside) when on the motorway.

The resonated Milltek was one of the biggest reasons why I bought an S6 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d71R_a3agIo

tmg
3rd Gear

Post by tmg » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:38 pm

so an update on this.

I went for the non-res milltek and got it fitted a few weeks ago.

impressions - sound is just amazing - finally sounds like a v10 should. however, and this is a large however.

on startup, its really really quite loud. I dont live in a particularly quiet part of the world, but its quite residential, and this is just that little bit over the "antisocial" bar for me when you are starting it - to the point where i drove other cars if I needed a car late at night or early morning.

thanks to golffather on here, I got my hands on a set of resonated sections, and had them popped in a few days ago. they do quieten it down a bit (not a huge amount) but subjectively, its a lot more "liveable" to me.

overall, highly recommend a set of millteks, and the sound is much much better than stock (even with the x-pipe & rear resonators removed)

dram
Neutral

Post by dram » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 am

barryrs wrote:I have a resonated system on mine and prefer it personally.

Sounds great when you give it some beans and simply put the windows down when you want full effect; the upshot for me is that the exhaust sounds pretty such stock (from the inside) when on the motorway.

The resonated Milltek was one of the biggest reasons why I bought an S6 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d71R_a3agIo

Ok, I'm sold! That sounds amazing!!

Golffather
4th Gear

Post by Golffather » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:05 pm

tmg no worries on the pipe, glad you're happy. Personally I'd never go back to resonated but that's just me (kids love it too ;)

To be fair there's not a great deal in it, non res is raw and screams - on startup I do notice the neighbors curtains twitching ;-)

What other plans do you have for the beast? How about some pics.....

tmg
3rd Gear

Post by tmg » Fri May 01, 2015 11:25 am

soooo confession time :)

non-resonatated was too loud.

resonated was too quiet

I took a lead from skirs6 over on the c6/RS6 forum, and have now gone half resonated. I've popped back in the non-res pipe on the passenger side (left hand side of the car), and left the res pipe on the drivers side. Its pretty much perfect to my ear!. not way loud when starting and a lovely howl at full chat

Return to “S6 (C6 Typ 4F) 2006-2011”