magnetic ride a must have option or not

2.0 I4 16v turbo - 261bhp
scaghead
Top Gear

magnetic ride a must have option or not

Post by scaghead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 am

looking at getting one what are the must have options...as above see one advertised with mag ride is it a must on a s3..

cheers
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Re: magnetic ride a must have option or not

Post by MartayMcFly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 am

I wouldn't say so. If you're willing to wait for the ideal car, then I'd say buckets, RNS-E (nav plus) and flat-bottomed multifunction wheel are top of the list. Heated rear seats, auto lights/wipers, sunroof, bluetooth and voice control would be next.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

cheers for the reply fella....your list looks about spot on, as to my thinking.. the only thing is i probably dont need buckets in a s3..cheers again
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 am

Jas is that for you or the Mrs?

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I'd say it is

S3 ride on std springs is shocking

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:21 pm

My missus didnt go for the mag ride as advised by her brother (who works for Audi). She did go for the seats and flat bottomed wheel though. And the sunroof looks really cool on a white car; the whole roof comes as black with the sunroof.
I though the RNS-E was standard?

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

PaulRS4 wrote:Jas is that for you or the Mrs?
for the Mrs, fella

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 pm

D_K wrote:I'd say it is

S3 ride on std springs is shocking
i read your end of term write up dave, and that got me wondering on magnetic ride or not? only seen one advertised with mag ride...

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

MikeFish wrote:My missus didnt go for the mag ride as advised by her brother (who works for Audi). She did go for the seats and flat bottomed wheel though. And the sunroof looks really cool on a white car; the whole roof comes as black with the sunroof.
I though the RNS-E was standard?
seems 99/100 dont have mag ride..i know mag ride seems a must have in a r8...one thing the Mrs defo does not want is buckets..she prefers the comforts..fbsw is a must... and like you say the black/sunroof combo does look smart...i dont think the sat nav is standard i think most seem to have it but have seen some that dont.. she also wants 5 door for ease with the kids getting in and out.only problem, less 5 doors about...

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Maybe it was standard on the black edition?
Funny, my missus wouldn't buy it unless it came with the buckets, she couldn't stand the look of the standard seats.
She also went for the sport back cos of the kids.
I must say I thought the MPG would be better, it's only just hit 1000 miles but similar economy to my RS4 ie in the mid teens. Ill post some piccies up later.

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:55 am

MikeFish wrote:Maybe it was standard on the black edition?
Funny, my missus wouldn't buy it unless it came with the buckets, she couldn't stand the look of the standard seats.
She also went for the sport back cos of the kids.
I must say I thought the MPG would be better, it's only just hit 1000 miles but similar economy to my RS4 ie in the mid teens. Ill post some piccies up later.
bloodyhell mid teens on mpg, may have to have a re-think if this is the case...that seems low, as a fella over the way from us works for fords and had a focus st for six months and could not wait to give it back as he was getting nearer mid twenties...you would have thought the s3 would be closer to that than our 4s..

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 am

That's what I thought too, but like I said engine was still being run in.
Hopefully it might improve.

Biskit
Neutral

Post by Biskit » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm

You definitely want magnetic ride if you can get it - I bought a used S3 2 months ago and wasn't bothered at the time but fortunately the one I chose did have it.

I was surprised at how much it rolled when the magnetic ride isn't engaged - I generally leave it on all the time now except when I'm on a motorway.

As for fuel economy I've been averaging 24 MPG around town. Taking it easy on the motorway will give around 32-33 MPG

Obviously that would drop if you were hammering it but mid-teens?!?

Return to “S3 (Typ 8P) 2006-2012”