End of Term Report - S3 Black Edition

2.0 I4 16v turbo - 261bhp
HYFR
Cruising

End of Term Report - S3 Black Edition

Post by HYFR » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Ok, so the S3 has reached 8,500 miles and 11 weeks, and so goes back tomorrow ... in its place, TTS

Thought I'd post a mini report based on my experience

Comfort:

The ride is very harsh on our wonderful roads ! You definitely feel every imperfection, and where you have the stretches where the road is not level, you do need to literally hold on like a roller-coaster.

Once on the motorway though, its smooth and stable. High speed cruises fly by with the cruise control.

However, I didnt find the seat particularly comfortable ... they are basically boggo standard S-line seats, with no electronic lumber (prob an option) ... but for an S car, I had hoped for more, i.e. the previous generation S3 had the RS 6 recaro's .... could obv spec the buckets if you wanted to pay £2k !!

Sound:

The car did make a sound! not a V8 sound mind! ... to be honest, it only really made a nice sound of any note at about 4krpm onwards ... a sort of prolonged farting sound ... otherwise it just screamed like any other 4pot

S-Tronic:

My first experience of S-Tronic ... did I like it ... not really

In drive, it changes up too early, into 6th at 30mph
In sport its too jerky around town

So, say your going along at 40, and want to overtake, you have to plant your foot, wait a few seconds while it changes a few cogs, then BOOM off you go

It would have been better if it "learned" your driving style

The sequential gearchanges are seamless thou, you just see the rev needle jump up and down but dont feel anything when driving normally

Overall, whilst prefered the comfort of the auto, for fun and control, I'd prefer the manual

Power:

265PS ... now, before the S3, I'd had a 170 2.0TDI and I felt the TDI was just as powerful in real lift driving ... prob due to the torque. Where the S3
came into its own is at higher speeds as it doesnt run out of puff.

I'd say the S3 feels fastest between 60 and 80 mph ... on a country road, where the Sport setting comes into its own, then its a VERY quick car

In a drag, I got done by a Vauxhall Vectra, dont know what it was ... I just know the S3 was slower !

Economy:

26.5MPG over 8,500 miles ... im pretty dissapointed with that given most of that is motorway

Strangely, it just started to get alot better in the last 1,000 miles ... I was now getting 33MPG on my 50miles commute to work, and when it was new it was in the 20's

The tank size is too small, meaning I couldnt get more than 350 miles to a tank ....I'll add up tomorrow my total fuel costs and how many fill ups !

Overall:

I dont think I'll order another

In summary, I found it pretty bland to drive, bland inside (standard nice Audi cabin, but nothing special) .... looked awesome, poor fuel consumption and not "that" fast

I'm gonna try a Cupra R which I think will be ALOT better ... and £5k+ cheaper

Rick_RS4
Cruising

RE: End of Term Report - S3 Black Edition

Post by Rick_RS4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

out of interest why do you or did you have it for 11 weeks,

DuncS3
Top Gear

Post by DuncS3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 am

Do you work for VAG?

Golfather
Cruising

Post by Golfather » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 am

Nice cars, but they're no replacement for displacement...;)

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:38 am

never a truer word said ... 4pots just dont cut it ... however big the turbo !

Return to “S3 (Typ 8P) 2006-2012”