Carbonia Air Intake for S3

2.0 I4 16v turbo - 261bhp
coxw
1st Gear

Carbonia Air Intake for S3

Post by coxw » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:24 pm

I've just ordered a Carbonia air intake for the S3 from Andy @ Awesome GTi http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/audi%20a38p/engine.html (Picture shown fitted on Golf Mk5 GTi)

There are some failry optimistic figures in terms of air intake increases, but the kit comes with a sponge panel filter and enlarged air intake which supposedly increases the torque at the high end of the rev range.

Price for those interested is about £205 inc P&P.

Will post some photos once its on the car (hopefully Saturday).

Cheers

Warren

david7m
Top Gear

RE: Carbonia Air Intake for S3

Post by david7m » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm

You really do have a bad case of the tuning bug, what's wrong with it standard ;) How are you going to tell if it has made any difference what so ever? Arse dyno?

Dave
APR 270bhp S3, Mixer K6 750

Cheap performance tip - lie the rear seats flat Image

coxw
1st Gear

RE: Carbonia Air Intake for S3

Post by coxw » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm trying to ween myself of it but I'm going through cold turkey.

If finding its slightly breathless at the top end, so just want to give the car a chance to breathe a bit more easily. Other than that she's doing well, but this will be the last engine mod as I promised myself no evasive modifications. I was tempted to go for the P-Flo kit but it meant ditching the engine cover and that raises too many questions at Audi.

Once I get my head round the wheels and haldex situation that will be it, it has to stop.

W

david7m
Top Gear

Re: RE: Carbonia Air Intake for S3

Post by david7m » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:09 pm

coxw wrote:I'm trying to ween myself of it but I'm going through cold turkey.

If finding its slightly breathless at the top end, so just want to give the car a chance to breathe a bit more easily. Other than that she's doing well, but this will be the last engine mod as I promised myself no evasive modifications. I was tempted to go for the P-Flo kit but it meant ditching the engine cover and that raises too many questions at Audi.

Once I get my head round the wheels and haldex situation that will be it, it has to stop.

W
Famous last words eh ;)

Surely after those mods it is time to meet me so I can have a look and drool :thumbs:

Dave
APR 270bhp S3, Mixer K6 750

Cheap performance tip - lie the rear seats flat Image

s300tna
1st Gear

Post by s300tna » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:58 am

Have you check it will fit? I was told Carbonia didnt do one for S3 due to the intercoolers?

coxw
1st Gear

Post by coxw » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:27 pm

s300tna wrote:Have you check it will fit? I was told Carbonia didnt do one for S3 due to the intercoolers?
The FMIC on the Leon Cupra R was mounted under the crash bar in front of the radiator, and I am hoping the S3 is the same. If so it should fit, but I have been promised by Andy that as long as I don't damage it at all, if it doesn't fit I can replace it.

We believe the slam panel mounts should be the same as the Golf, and I sent them very detailed photos of the bay to check the mounting locations.

If it works I've done them a favour as they can sell it as an S3 item so its a bit of a guinea pig job really.

Went home at lunch and it hadn't been delivered so I am hoping it will come tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed!!

cheers

Warren

coxw
1st Gear

Post by coxw » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:17 pm

s300tna wrote:Have you check it will fit? I was told Carbonia didnt do one for S3 due to the intercoolers?
Andy at Awesome GTi sorted me out with a Carbonia carbon enlarged intake / dry panel filter for the S3.

This is the unit that is specified for the Mk5 Golf GTi, and so there was a chance it may not have fitted - but hey, if you don't try you'll never know.

Here is a picture of the 2 intakes side by side. The original intake spits half of its airfeed straight into the engine bay, and the other half into the air box. The Carbonia channels all the air (40% increased flow) into the airbox where the dry panel filter provides little in the way of restriction to getting the air into the system.

And here is the fitted photo proving that even an imbecile with half a toolbox can fit it (as long as you own a flexi shaft screwdriver, a universal joint and a 20T star key you can do it). The engine cover is quite hard to get off, and you should be careful that the rubber grommets that hold the engine cover to the block don't go South into the engine bay.

Here is the fitted item:

To be honest I haven't noticed a massive difference as yet, but then I've only driven it 10 miles since doing it. Therefore the car has not had a chance to adapt to the new parameters. There is certainly more intake noise under acceleration, and at the top end of the rev range it is easier to progress beyond legal speeds as the asthmatic paper filter seemed to be holding the car back in the upper rev ranges. Whether I will lose torque lower down the range remains to be seen, but I've not noticed it yet.

At £205 (for the panel filter and carbon air intake - includes P&P next day) its not exactly 'a steal' but I have to say the quality and finish was exceptional. Andy at Awesome was very helpful as always, great customer service goes a long way these days.

This is what you'll find under the engine cover of the S3 (8P). The engine cover contains the air box where the filter is stored. Don't be expecting any major gains from modifying the OE airbox as its shallow and there's very little to smooth/cut.

Its an easy 30 minute job! Go on, spoil yourself!

MarkB
Cruising

Post by MarkB » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:47 am

Great write up.
Mark

goose
2nd Gear

Re: Carbonia Air Intake for S3

Post by goose » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am

love carbonio products... first and best thing i ever got for my old R32 :jump_clap:

goose
Current:
'08 Carbon Black BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport|Full white interior bulb kit|White LED Halos|De-badged
'72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe|1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 interior

Past:
'06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd

Return to “S3 (Typ 8P) 2006-2012”