Vcds and windows 10

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) / VCDS (VAG-COM) forum
pete62
4th Gear

Vcds and windows 10

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:30 pm

So bit the bullet and bought a genuine lead!
However the Lenovo yoga netbook I want to run it on doesn't seem to want to play.
Software installs but when I try to test the lead it comes up VCDS not responding and just scrolls for ever . I have to shut down the computer to get out of it. Spoke to Gendan and they are baffled. They say it's something wrong with computer but it's virtually new. On the test page apparently it should have a configure button next to test but mine doesnt have it instead in has an LED button which the man from Gendan couldn't figure out.
The software runs and tests ok on my old windows 7 computer but that's old and on its way out so would like to get it going on the Lenovo.
Any experts out there got any ideas
Pete

HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: Vcds and windows 10

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Where did you get the software from? Run fine on my W10 laptop and many others I know of.

bal
1st Gear

Post by bal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 pm

I've recently done this and you need to change the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and then it works fine.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Really! VCDS works fine with W10 provided it's all genuine. Which is why I asked where the software came from.
With a genuine lead (which is what Gendan supply) it really should work properly without resorting to any tweaks.

I'd download it again from RossTech and try again to be sure.
Did you select the correct COM port or USB as appropriate?

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:51 pm

All genuine from Gendan, already tried uninstalling and redownloading but still doesn't work.
Yes USB was ticked.
Gendan asked me to look in device manager for 'ports' which wasn't there so they just said it was a problem with the computer but it's new and I don't understand what they were looking for in 'ports' as the lead plugs into the USB and device manager says that is working fine

bal wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 pm
I've recently done this and you need to change the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and then it works fine.
Change the compatibility mode of what ?? The computer, in the software please enlighten

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

The program (VCDS). It's something you can do in Windows. Use Help.

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Okay tried the compatibility thing but no change.
The issue seems be the missing 'config' button on the test screen replaced with the LEDs button, according to Gendan this suggested that the cable was detecting a previous or unauthorised version of VCDS however this is a new computer and it absolutely has never had any kind of VCDS program on it before.
Any more ideas chaps

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Okay tried the compatibility thing but no change.
The issue seems be the missing 'config' button on the test screen replaced with the LEDs button, according to Gendan this suggested that the cable was detecting a previous or unauthorised version of VCDS however this is a new computer and it absolutely has never had any kind of VCDS program on it before.
Any more ideas chaps

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 pm

How many USB ports does the PC have and are they different in any way? Try them all and reboot in between.

It does indeed sound like a quirk of that particular computer, maybe due to drivers and some unusual USB port hardware?

I think you should be able to assign specific COM ports to USB devices so, if you know how to do that give it a go.
(My main VCDS laptop has a slightly unusual configuration so the USB cable is actually COM3)

I'd say that a missing Config button means it hasn't found any suitable ports. Do you get the usual USB device detection "beep" when you plug the cable in (without VCDS running) and does it appear in Device Manager?

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Only one USB and yes it makes the noise when you connect the cable.
I can't find any sign of VCDS anywhere in the device manager. Nothing seems to appear or disappear in the device manager

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Weird. Open the USB section and watch as you plug and unplug the cable. Anything with a yellow warning on it anywhere in DM?

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:14 pm

The number of items underUSB in DM doesn't change when you unplug the lad. I can find a VCDS entry under 'human interface devices ' in DM. When the lead is connected it is highlighted and greys out when disconnected.
Under events when you click on it there is an entry in information that says
Device USB/VID _0483&PID_A0CB\0000001 requires further installation.
FFS
:drink:

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm

If it works OK on another PC I'd blame the new one.
Try to update the drivers for that entry with it connected, might find something online via Windows Update.

Silly question, but if it's a new PC have you let it run through all the updates so that it is fully current. A "factory fresh" system will be full of ancient crap. :twisted:

pete62
4th Gear

Post by pete62 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 pm

HPsauce wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm
If it works OK on another PC I'd blame the new one.
Try to update the drivers for that entry with it connected, might find something online via Windows Update.

Silly question, but if it's a new PC have you let it run through all the updates so that it is fully current. A "factory fresh" system will be full of ancient crap. :twisted:
It's about 6 months old and is updated. It does some strange <beep> though. One minute ports are visible in DM next they have disappeared.
Tried to update the drivers via windows and it didn't find anything.
Very strange but at least it works on the old machine.
Will try again over next few days.
Thanks for all the suggestions mucho appreciated!

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I'd give it a good slap; if that doesn't work, bin it!
I recall my wife being given one of those Yoga things as an office "mobile working" device, it was awful.

Return to “DTC / VCDS”