Getting Started with VCDS

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) / VCDS (VAG-COM) forum
HDPete
3rd Gear

Getting Started with VCDS

Post by HDPete » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:58 am

Hi,

I've got the VCDS Lite application and I'm trying to use it with a legacy OBDII Cable which I used for my Lexus GS (MY12) on my RS6 C7. The cable is a generic VCI FTDI chip USB to Serial conversion and I have applied the drivers successfully and the cable appears as COM3. The cable did come bundled with Toyota software, but from my research on the J2534 cable, it does seem generic OBDII Mini VCI.

I have set the delay to 2ms for the port and left the baud rate at its default of 9600, 8,N,1. (as per the Ross Tech KBase). This is on a laptop running Windows 10, with the install done with Compatibility mode set to Windows XP SP2. However, when I try to connect to the RS6 C7, VCDS reports "Port OK, interface not found." I have also used another app 'OBD Doctor' to try connection from another app, but no joy there either. I have tried with the key in all positions. The LED on the cable is RED, but flashes green to show it can be found and comms are being attempted.

Apart from it being a cable issue, am I missing something - I can't get past the initial 'Test' stage with VCDS-Lite.

Ultimately, I'm trying to add the rear lights to DRL, change the number of indicator sweeps from 3 to 5, so I may be looking for a friendly member in Dorset / Hampshire.

Cheers
Pete

HDPete
3rd Gear

Re: Getting Started with VCDS

Post by HDPete » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:19 am

My suspicion is that the cable I purchased (for Toyota / Lexus) has a slightly different pin out to VAG...

Return to “DTC / VCDS”