Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Models: V10 plus, GT, GT Spyder, V8 Limited Edition, Exclusive Selection Edition, China Edition and LMX
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp (2007-2011) - 424 bhp (2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 518 bhp (2012-2014) - 542 bhp (Plus 2012-2014) - 562 bhp (LMX 2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 533 bhp (2015-)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 602 bhp (Plus 2015-)
Bund
2nd Gear
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by Bund » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm also considering an R8 manual but my heart says replace the 996 Turbo and my head says keep it.

I'm considering two, a mug blue manual car with no mag ride and the purple car with buckets, two different end of the price scale. I want the purple car because of the buckets and the mug blue car because of the price.

Now I have a solid offer on my Turbo I think it's finacially at least a bad idea to swap yet keeping both is a bit extreme as the RRS would have to go and we've just got a 2nd dog! 😂
Current - B7 RS4 Avant Ceramics, Merc 560 SEC, Merc E320 Sportline Cab, Caterham Supersport race car, Toyota LJ70 LC.

samuk
3rd Gear
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by samuk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Bund wrote:I'm also considering an R8 manual but my heart says replace the 996 Turbo and my head says keep it.

I'm considering two, a mug blue manual car with no mag ride and the purple car with buckets, two different end of the price scale. I want the purple car because of the buckets and the mug blue car because of the price.

Now I have a solid offer on my Turbo I think it's finacially at least a bad idea to swap yet keeping both is a bit extreme as the RRS would have to go and we've just got a 2nd dog! Image
R8 v8 or v10? That is the question...

996t will be more fun then the v8...my e39 m5 felt quicker then the v8 r8




Bund
2nd Gear
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by Bund » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

If they were the same price I'd take the V10 but I won't even wring the neck of the V8 so paying up for a V10 is pointless to me. I'm not looking to pay the 53 the purple car is up for either.

Will the turbo be more fun than either? I doubt it will be as you have to be doing some serious speed to get the joy from it and It doesn't sound anything to me. I've done 1700 miles in 20 months so I hardly know the car. I just think the R8 is better looking.

From a financial point I think it's at a better stage in the cycle than the R8 and I think they will be perceived better when the mileages start to get into "supposed high" category.
Current - B7 RS4 Avant Ceramics, Merc 560 SEC, Merc E320 Sportline Cab, Caterham Supersport race car, Toyota LJ70 LC.

User avatar
nij
4th Gear
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by nij » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Bund wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm
Will the turbo be more fun than either? I doubt it will be as you have to be doing some serious speed to get the joy from it and It doesn't sound anything to me. I've done 1700 miles in 20 months so I hardly know the car. I just think the R8 is better looking.

From a financial point I think it's at a better stage in the cycle than the R8 and I think they will be perceived better when the mileages start to get into "supposed high" category.
The R8 will be more fun to drive as the 996's turbo lag just take the fun away. The Porsche is a great car you can use every day and has great acceleration, other than that it's a bit bland. In fact, I used to enjoy driving my E46 M3 more than my 996 turbo.

As for the V8 R8, the back end is a lot more lively and sounds awesome with a aftermarket exhaust, but there are a few things you need to watch out for. Magnetic Ride is very expensive to repair and if the air conditioning compressor fails, it's engine out to replace.

Financially, Porsche prices are very strong at the moment, but the R8's depreciation is not bad either.

At the end of the day, it's down to what's important to you.
Phantom Black R8 V10 plus, Capristo Exhaust
Phantom Black (B7) RS4 Saloon, MRC Stage 2
Mercedes E-Coupe 350CDi

Bund
2nd Gear
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by Bund » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 am

nij wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 pm
Bund wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm
Will the turbo be more fun than either? I doubt it will be as you have to be doing some serious speed to get the joy from it and It doesn't sound anything to me. I've done 1700 miles in 20 months so I hardly know the car. I just think the R8 is better looking.

From a financial point I think it's at a better stage in the cycle than the R8 and I think they will be perceived better when the mileages start to get into "supposed high" category.
The R8 will be more fun to drive as the 996's turbo lag just take the fun away. The Porsche is a great car you can use every day and has great acceleration, other than that it's a bit bland. In fact, I used to enjoy driving my E46 M3 more than my 996 turbo.

As for the V8 R8, the back end is a lot more lively and sounds awesome with a aftermarket exhaust, but there are a few things you need to watch out for. Magnetic Ride is very expensive to repair and if the air conditioning compressor fails, it's engine out to replace.

Financially, Porsche prices are very strong at the moment, but the R8's depreciation is not bad either.

At the end of the day, it's down to what's important to you.
Im going to try and see the purple car today.

The R8's depreciation being not bad, are you taking that as for sale prices with dealers or you know this first hand? I ask as I haven't seen the private car adds coming down and to be honest most of them look expensive to dealer pricing. Do R8's have a good private market like Porsche?

Now WBAC is just an auction bid(but one we can all access to gauge a price) but i couldn't believe how low it was compared to some cars, they even bid a spyder cheaper than a coupe albeit the spyder was newer with less miles yet more owners.

Im talking £24k cheaper than someones private £57k spyder yet a dealers coupe was bid 33.5 vs offered sale price of 41.
Current - B7 RS4 Avant Ceramics, Merc 560 SEC, Merc E320 Sportline Cab, Caterham Supersport race car, Toyota LJ70 LC.

HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15527
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by HYFR » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm

The dealer/auction spread in the R8 is huge and not a reflection of depreciation

If you buy and sell private at the right price it will be cheap

Buy dealer and sell dealer at the wrong price and it will cost you £10k in a blink of an eye

R8's have stopped depreciation for anything over 2010

Bund
2nd Gear
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by Bund » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 am

I literally cannot buy an R8 in the spec I want privately and haven't been able to since I started looking.
Current - B7 RS4 Avant Ceramics, Merc 560 SEC, Merc E320 Sportline Cab, Caterham Supersport race car, Toyota LJ70 LC.

User avatar
leet
2nd Gear
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm
Location: Hants/berks border

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by leet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Bund wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 am
I literally cannot buy an R8 in the spec I want privately and haven't been able to since I started looking.
What spec are you looking for? I had a spec in mind too but had to give up a few options in the end. 3 weeks in and loving it so far :biggrin3:

Bund
2nd Gear
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by Bund » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

Extended leather and buckets. The rest I'd forgo.
Current - B7 RS4 Avant Ceramics, Merc 560 SEC, Merc E320 Sportline Cab, Caterham Supersport race car, Toyota LJ70 LC.

User avatar
RS4B8LYF
3rd Gear
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by RS4B8LYF » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 pm

My mate has a V10 spyder and last of the manuals white with blue roof but currently wrapped matt metallic blue. I'll try and find photo if your interested?
:kissmyrings:

HYFR
Cruising
Posts: 15527
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by HYFR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Buckets are super rare

User avatar
RS4B8LYF
3rd Gear
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by RS4B8LYF » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Image

For sale, friend is the owner, well cared for...no expense spared
:kissmyrings:

User avatar
R33
4th Gear
Posts: 744
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Thinking of buying a V8, advice please

Post by R33 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:41 pm

RS4B8LYF wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm
Image

For sale, friend is the owner, well cared for...no expense spared
Is that the one I’ve driven past a million times on a back road near Tunbridge Wells?

Post Reply

Return to “R8 Coupé / Spyder (Typ 42) 2007-”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests