New R8 V10+??

Models: V10 plus, GT, GT Spyder, V8 Limited Edition, Exclusive Selection Edition, China Edition and LMX
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp (2007-2011) - 424 bhp (2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 518 bhp (2012-2014) - 542 bhp (Plus 2012-2014) - 562 bhp (LMX 2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 533 bhp (2015-)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 602 bhp (Plus 2015-)
doodlebug
Cruising

Re: New R8 V10+??

Post by doodlebug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm

Aye....I'm partly of the view that CxS is fast enough. But I need to scratch the TTS itch to make a decision. The wife thinks TTS might result in some ditch finding.

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 pm

doodlebug wrote:Aye....I'm partly of the view that CxS is fast enough. But I need to scratch the TTS itch to make a decision. The wife thinks TTS might result in some ditch finding.
Nothing's ever 'fast enough' :)
The only real issue I had when I tried a 991.1 turbo S was that it feels very subdued and refined, so to feel like you're going some, you have to be really going some. In a car like that, really going some is some very large numbers
I pulled out onto a local A road onto a straight and booted it. I looked down expecting to see something like 120, but saw nearly 170. That's going to jail speeds, and I had to have a quiet word with myself
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Graeme4130 wrote:
doodlebug wrote:Aye....I'm partly of the view that CxS is fast enough. But I need to scratch the TTS itch to make a decision. The wife thinks TTS might result in some ditch finding.
The only real issue I had when I tried a 991.1 turbo S was that it feels very subdued and refined, so to feel like you're going some, you have to be really going some. In a car like that, really going some is some very large numbers
I pulled out onto a local A road onto a straight and booted it. I looked down expecting to see something like 120, but saw nearly 170. That's going to jail speeds, and I had to have a quiet word with myself
Yes, I did the same going down a sliproad. Had to back off somewhat!

991.2 has moved it on further, though not just with performance. I should get some road and track time which will be interesting.

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:35 pm

doodlebug wrote:Step 1 successfully completed. The C4S is a very impressive piece of kit. To think it's 150 horses down on the RS6 it is as quick at sub 3 figure speeds and went around corners like it was on rails. The PDK gearbox is immense, it's better than the S-Tronic box in the RS4 and the R8 IMO. It's a great place to be, the wife enjoyed driving and being passenger - something she's not so great with in the RS6. 6 year old was comfortable in the back, even the wife was OK in the back for a short run. The cab has slightly more compromised space and the seat backs are almost beyond the vertical, which made this all the more impressive. I did a supermarket run, no problem fitting the bags in the front boot. Golf clubs for me and the boy were consumed without bother. The new PCM (sat nav) with Carplay is fantastic. Certainly way better than the 3rd gen Audi MMI, I've not spent much time with the latest Audi offering with Carplay. Using gesture control on the screen to change the map scale was pretty cool.

Getting back in to my RS6 was not a complete disappointment, but it's a very different driving experience and doesn't come anywhere close dynamically. It also shows how poor the steering is by comparison (the 911 didn't have the dynamic steering option). The car did also try to kill me on the way back.

Next stop Silverstone and PEC to try the gen 2 TTS. The OPC have been fantastic throughout, none of this has been a bother or a debate.

When are you at Silverstone? Had a note from the OPC i'm borrowing the TTS from that he's booking me onto the Porsche Experience at Silverstone so just need to decide on dates.

As you say, the Dealer experience is another level & i hope this continues through the buying process should i decide on the TTS being my choice of next car. Can't wait to pick it up on Saturday morning & something tells me i'll be there before they open as am already somewhat excited.
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:48 pm

:thumb:

Request only went in this morning. It'll be a weekend, though I am a bit short on those at the moment so not sure when it'll be.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Graeme4130 wrote:
Wow! The silly long gearing probably doesn't help, 170 is probably still 5th?

This probably sounds really geeky, but after a high speed pax in a rwd 997 gen II a few years back, I'd like a plain 997 gen II Carerra, no PASM, no PDK, no sport suspension, even go as far as swapping the 19s for 18s. Would be more of a drivers car than a Turbo or Turbo S would ever be, you'd have to concentrate!
B5 B6 B7 B9

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:47 pm

WOW (but it took a while).

Picked the car up last night in the pouring rain & strong winds so just a fairly sensible drive home & by the time I got home I really wasn't convinced & could only admire the cars aural virtues.

Car was parked overnight outside our sun lounge so I could keep viewing it to see if the external presence grew on me which it really has. Off to a business meeting this morning & of course took the R8 & I'm now totally sold on how good this car is. I perhaps wasn't overly fair with it as possibly didn't really want to like it, but oh feck it's good. The cabin is excellent, the speed & the way it effortlessly piles it on is mental, the engine & gearbox are something to behold & grip is out of this world & on tip of the that the noise is something that constantly induces fits of giggles.

Being brutally honest, other than the badge this car kicks the 570S into a hat. Perhaps having the balls to drive the 570S on the limit could close that gap & is perhaps why the journos are raving about the 570S, but I couldn't drive it on the limit, however the R8 I can (& have done for most of today).

Going to make the weekend in the 991 Turbo S even more interesting as it will have to be quite something to surpass the R8 V10+.
Paul

Graeme4130
Cruising

Post by Graeme4130 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 pm

W8PMC wrote:WOW (but it took a while).

Picked the car up last night in the pouring rain & strong winds so just a fairly sensible drive home & by the time I got home I really wasn't convinced & could only admire the cars aural virtues.

Car was parked overnight outside our sun lounge so I could keep viewing it to see if the external presence grew on me which it really has. Off to a business meeting this morning & of course took the R8 & I'm now totally sold on how good this car is. I perhaps wasn't overly fair with it as possibly didn't really want to like it, but oh feck it's good. The cabin is excellent, the speed & the way it effortlessly piles it on is mental, the engine & gearbox are something to behold & grip is out of this world & on tip of the that the noise is something that constantly induces fits of giggles.

Being brutally honest, other than the badge this car kicks the 570S into a hat. Perhaps having the balls to drive the 570S on the limit could close that gap & is perhaps why the journos are raving about the 570S, but I couldn't drive it on the limit, however the R8 I can (& have done for most of today).

Going to make the weekend in the 991 Turbo S even more interesting as it will have to be quite something to surpass the R8 V10+.
Good to see you liked it. I was smitten the moment I started one up.
I tend to take Journo views with a pinch of salt. Generally, they're much better drivers than me and only tend to choose the very best roads, and B, they're largely keeping their favourite manufacturers happy so as not to rock the boat and not get invited to the next 5* launch in San Diego or other exotic location, or to not get offered the long term super car to 'try' ;)
I like reading the stuff they produce, but I also like to make my own mind up as one mans treasure is another mans trash
-------------------------------------------------------
Gone - 11/06 B7 RS4 Avant - black/black (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 05/13 B8 RS4 Avant - Suzuka grey (Daily drive & kids taxi)
Gone - 01/14 B8 RS5 Coupe - Short term car
Gone - 09/14 B8 RS4 Avant - Misano Red/Ceramics (Daily drive & kids taxi)

Current - 04/18 B9 Rs4 Nardo Grey
ZX10R Race bike - 210bhp and a few skid marks on the seat ;)

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:08 am

Think I'm enjoying it too much. Average mpg since collecting the car Wed night is 11mpg.

Had a slight user malfunction last night as popped it into manual paddle shift & forgot so hit the limiter in 2nd & the whole dash appears to flash red :bash:

Also can't work out the mechanical or electronic difference between the Dynamic Drive Select mode & Dry Performance mode. I know Performance mode alters the TC as can be set to Dry, Wet or Snow, but in Dry the car's markedly quicker than when in Dynamic under Drive Select. Feels like a further 100bhp has been unleashed. I'll have to ask the dealer later when I return the car.
Paul

zebede
2nd Gear

Post by zebede » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:22 am

I've just got an rs6 earlier this month, I did all the car wow stuff then went back to Ross at Cambridge Audi, they matched what all the other dealers were offering, I just screen shotted it and sent over by email.
Zebede

911 C4s cab - summer is fun :D

Panamera Turbo - fully loaded - gone
RS6 C7 - Panther Black - dodgy steering
911 GT3 - awesome but ate tyres
RS4 b8 - Black on Black with Black windows
911 Targa 4s 991 - Black with Grey Leather

doodlebug
Cruising

New R8 V10+??

Post by doodlebug » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 am

Paul, has the main course arrived yet? Never mind the piffling R8.

The deed is done, deposit placed on TTS.

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:55 pm

doodlebug wrote:Paul, has the main course arrived yet? Never mind the piffling R8.

The deed is done, deposit placed on TTS.
Yes & OMFG X 10. I've never driven anything that insanely fast in my life. Spent a few hours hooning round the North Lakes & could not unsettle the car in the slightest. It has to be the most all round accomplished car available on the market today.

I was literally speechless at times. Even SWMBO fell in love with it.

Awesome, what did you spec?
Paul

doodlebug
Cruising

New R8 V10+??

Post by doodlebug » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Yes. It's a beast!

Not spec'd it yet, though it doesn't want for much. Colour is biggest quandary.

Did you have a play with the PCM? What did you reckon?

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:35 am

doodlebug wrote:Yes. It's a beast!

Not spec'd it yet, though it doesn't want for much. Colour is biggest quandary.

Did you have a play with the PCM? What did you reckon?
I had a rethink on options & got it down to just under £1500 as ditched the Burmester due to the Bose being more than good enough & the Sunroof although letting in some light didn't really transform the interior & at £1600 along with the extra weight I thought it's not worth it. As you say, the car standard doesn't want for anything really.

I've also decided to ignore the 2 tone interior & think the standard black looks very good so likely will be Sapphire Blue with black interior.

I did find the PCM a little complicated as every time I got Apple Play working (music & apps etc.) it disconnected the iPhone's telephone functionality, but likely user error as I was too busy enjoying the car to get involved in the gadgets. Dealer says the best option is a 2nd SIM (data only) that stays in the car. Cabin was very impressive & spent some time with 2 kids in the back (11 & 2) & although the 11yr old was a little uncomfortable, they were both fine in the back for an hour or so. Overall the car excelled & I was certainly sorry to hand it back yesterday.

What are you leaning towards colour & spec wise?
Paul

doodlebug
Cruising

New R8 V10+??

Post by doodlebug » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:15 pm

Agreed on sunroof and BM.

Front lift and adaptive cruise are likely the only big items I'll add. Need to check front clearance on the turbo. It was fine on the C4.

Tempted by graphite blue, but I am not sure it'll age well. Carmine red is nice, though not sure it's nice enough for the dollar. Likely leaves agate grey.

Are you decided on the 911 now or still considering 570 and R8?

Return to “R8 Coupé / Spyder (Typ 42) 2007-”