Possible Newbie

Models: V10 plus, GT, GT Spyder, V8 Limited Edition, Exclusive Selection Edition, China Edition and LMX
4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp (2007-2011) - 424 bhp (2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 518 bhp (2012-2014) - 542 bhp (Plus 2012-2014) - 562 bhp (LMX 2012-2014)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 533 bhp (2015-)
5.2 V10 40v Naturally Aspirated - 602 bhp (Plus 2015-)
ShaneyB
Top Gear

Possible Newbie

Post by ShaneyB » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi guys,
Not been on here for years. Wrote my B7 RS4 off in 2012 and couldn't bring myself to get another so I went the E92 route.

I'm now going to move again and have a few options I'm considering and one of which is a 2008 V8 R8. Sounds weird, wife wants me to get a V8 R8, I want a GT-R which she hates and also considering B8 RS4 but all are in the mix. I know practicality comes into it as I have a 12 year old son so I need to chose wisely as if I go R8 we will spend a lot of time in the wife's car with her driving :drink:

What do you think? How have you guys found the R8? Any issues (DRC, Carbon Build Up) I should look out for? Is the gearbox good. What are the modification prospects? Is Mag Ride worth it??

Budget is around £55k

Sorry to ask but any advise would be well received.

Cheers
Shane

Current
2017 C7 Nardo RS6 Performance

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 lsi
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

S4WON
Top Gear

Re: Possible Newbie

Post by S4WON » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:26 pm

So your other post. 55 is so close to v10 territory. That has to be the choice. Go big or go home!

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Chippy
Neutral

Post by Chippy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 pm

I came from a B8 RS4. I had the RS4 from October last year. Always liked the R8 but there weren't any around (I'm in Jersey) that were the right colour as there's very few over here.

Passed the dealers a couple of months ago and they had an '08 Daytona Grey one for sale. Low mileage, 14k, mint condition, carbon interior pack, carbon engine bay, B&O, cruise, Magride, etc. Managed to talk the dealer into a straight swap for the RS4, so got it for £45k :-)

As luck (or not) would have it, just found out a couple of weeks ago that the girlfriend is pregnant, so just as well I took the plunge when did otherwise I'd kept the RS4! As it's worked out, I manage to find the girlfriend a mint low mileage Audi Q5, got my mate to sort her out a stonking finance deal and the dealer actually gave her £2k over the book price on her Cooper S as a trade in, so looks like I'll be keeping the R8 for a while yet :biggrin3:

I have the Auto BTW. Gerabox is fine when you get used to it - I always drive in flappy mode. Nowhere near as seamless as the RS4 box, but perfectly fine when you get used to it. Had no issues so far, other than really squeaky brakes at low speed. I swapped out all the pads for Ferodo DS2500's and it's completely cured it.

Not planning on doing much to the car, but I have just changed over the steering wheel from the skinny standard one to the thicker facelift version with perforated leather and nicer, larger, aluminium paddles.

b7rs4saloon
3rd Gear

Post by b7rs4saloon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:47 am

Needs to be a V10!

Scottheasman01
Neutral

Post by Scottheasman01 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:46 pm

V10 wouldn't touch a v8

Stelongy
Neutral

Post by Stelongy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm

I came from a e92 M3 Dct, 2x of my friends have Dct M3's and one has a manual.
They all did the 'the M3 is faster crap' when I got it and the Lowly V8 R8 has embarrassed all of them.

I couldn't quite afford a V10, although I would of had one of I could.
For me it was a choice between a mint, low mileage, well specced V8 or a high mileage/tatty/less spec V10. The V8 is s fabulous car and certainly doesn't deserve the retarded internet warriors comments it gets! If you can find a V10 in the age/spec/colours etc you want though I'd go for it! Try to go manual if possible as the R tronic isn't great.

This was my though process when buying mine if it helps.....

So yeh here it is, my new car.

I thought long and hard about which car to get next, but ultimately I decided it needed to feel special and have a sense of occasion when driving it as its only a weekend toy for me.

When spending this sort of money on a car there is lot of choice, but being a bigger picture kind of guy and not using it as a daily I wanted the package that suited me best.

I looked at F80 M3's but found them too similar to the E92, despite them being a great car if that was the thing I was after I would have just kept my immaculate very special top spec E92 M3.
The sound doesn't do it for me either and speed isn't everything, my stage 2 tuned E92 was already quick enough to warrant short shifting when pressing on down country roads, partly due to speed, partly due to traction. So with that in mind I ruled out the next car pretty quickly too.

F10 M5. The car is just far too big for what I want, and has the same traction issues. It also isn't a sense of occasion car so it wasn't what I was looking for either. I must admit I kept thinking of the 700bhp potential after a remap and it was difficult to shake lol. Men like power, it's that simple isn't it!:muttley:
I'll no doubt have one of these when the family/kids come along.

Nissan GT-R, no question that they are rapid, but after being in one and spending some time around them I was put off. Looks are subjective, we all know this but to me it just looked to 'transformers' styled and the woeful interior was even worse. The reliability and maintenance cost also put me off after speaking to a mate who had one. Obviously it depends on what you want from a car but being the fastest point to point didn't interest me, I wanted a fast, classy car with a sense of occasion. It's a slippery slope when you start chasing performance numbers.

Porsche 997: having already owned a Cayman S recently I really wanted a 991 but they were just pushing the budget for a good one. I do like 997's but feel they look a little dated now. I looked at 997 turbo's too but I just preferred the R8, especially as the 911 turbo can be a very expensive ownership.
Great cars though and ultimately I'd have one over a gtr every day of the week.

Aston Martin Vantage V8, for a while I was decided on this as my next car. I decided the 'wow' factor and package was good enough to put up with the fact it would be a fair amount slower than the M3. I test drove an 07 plate (4.3 engine) with low mileage and was so disappointed. I was gutted, the car felt far older than its years with most awful plastic interior. When I drove it I couldn't believe how slow it felt and after a blast on some twisties how poor it was dynamically.
I tried a 10 plate 4.7 engined one after that, is was a huge leap forward in every way. The interior was miles better, the dynamics felt much improved and it was a lot quicker.
The problem was that now put me into a higher price bracket for a good one, so I had another look at what else was in budget.....

Audi R8 V8.
Now first things first, I was never the R8's biggest fan when it came out.
I didn't like the styling and the interior looked boring Audi in pictures.
The styling has grown on me massively of late, and I now think it's a fantastic looking thing. I don't think pictures do them justice, in the flesh the width, height and presence of them is simply awsome. The stares, waves and general public admiration you get in one is crazy.
The interior is a lovely place to be, and the full extended leather really makes it feel premium and special. I test drove a more basic spec one and it didn't feel premium at all. These cars need to have the right spec to feel special in my opinion, much like Porsche and Mercedes.

When I test drove it I was shocked how well it drove, rear wheel bias with much better traction. It sounds fantastic too but a little quiet at times (exhaust in the pipeline) :D

Return to “R8 Coupé / Spyder (Typ 42) 2007-”