Tonks's 80 2 door quattro RS4 Tourenwagen

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
P_G
Cruising

Re: Tonks's 80 2 door quattro RS4 Tourenwagen

Post by P_G » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Phenomenal price for a pair of manifolds. When are you firing her up again to see if it all works?

Tonks4x4
Neutral

Tonks's 80 2 door quattro RS4 Tourenwagen

Post by Tonks4x4 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:08 pm

So today I had the box out again!!!!

Raymor off the S2forum has an RS4 engine and gearbox so he kindly made a rough template of the crank position sensor location.

So to make a mount I first cut a lump of aluminium off a solid bar I had lying around.

Then after a couple of hours in the lathe and the Bridgeport milling machine I ended up with something looking like this

This was then TIG welded in the correct position onto the gearbox spacer I had made.

When the spacer plate is now mounted to the back of the engine the sensor is now spot on in the right position

So all I have done now is grind a small section out of the bell hosing where the original inspection hole is.

I preferred to do it like this so a) I don't have a circular saw (timing ring) attached to the crank pulley.
B) if the box detonates I can just buy another box grind a bit off and throw it in without having to re fabricate any brackets or mounts for the sensor.

Got another 20v turbo into UR conversion again this week so won't get much chance to do anything further this week.

Ares323
Neutral

Re: Tonks's 80 2 door quattro RS4 Tourenwagen

Post by Ares323 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:21 pm

Reviving a very old thread :)
I was curious if this project was finalised, didnt saw any updates.

I am having a similar project with the RS4 B7 engine but with a Audi 80 B4 Quattro. Have all the parts, in the following weeks I will put the engine in the engine in the car.
The main difference is that with the swap i will do a full RS4 ABS conversion with Steering column ECU, angular sensor, ESP sensor and many more.
Maybe i will open a new thread.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”