Dynamic/adaptive headlights

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
wolfgang
4th Gear

Dynamic/adaptive headlights

Post by wolfgang » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

According to one of my option codes, I have the following:
8Q5 = Headlight-range adjustment, automatic/ dynamic with dynamic bending light (AFS 1)
How can I tell that I have this?

In previous cars i've had I can see the beam levelling when I start the car. In my car I don't see anything happening other than the lights switching on.
2007 RS4 Avant in Mugello Blue + Milltek non-res valved, MRC air filter, MRC remap with silent-mode startup

adsgreen
Cruising

RE: Dynamic/adaptive headlights

Post by adsgreen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 pm

If you go somewhere dark (or wait for night time) and park the front near a wall then when you switch on the lights they will do a little dance left/right and up/down.

andre3k
5th Gear

Re: RE: Dynamic/adaptive headlights

Post by andre3k » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 pm

adsgreen wrote:If you go somewhere dark (or wait for night time) and park the front near a wall then when you switch on the lights they will do a little dance left/right and up/down.
I have 8EC = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp, for driving on the left = Standard Xenons

For the record my car does this little dance on startup.

m3vhf
Neutral

Post by m3vhf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:29 pm

I tested mine last night after i found i had this option on my car. Pulled up about 10m from a wall, full lock left then right i could see the lights changing direction.

Macdaddy
4th Gear

Post by Macdaddy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

What exactly is it tho?

Switched on the car outside the gym tonight and the lights went left/right up/down! Young girl coming out thought I was flashing my lights at her from the look she gave me lmao
B7 RS4 Cabriolet with custom Blueflame - Gone
Misano red RS3 running Stage 1 APR - Gone
Sepang B8 RS4 with buckets - Gone
Panther Black C7 RS6 - Current Daily

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:01 pm

m3vhf wrote:I tested mine last night after i found i had this option on my car. Pulled up about 10m from a wall, full lock left then right i could see the lights changing direction.
Strange as I thought the adaptive lights only worked once the car was mobile and after a certain speed.
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

sonny wrote:
m3vhf wrote:I tested mine last night after i found i had this option on my car. Pulled up about 10m from a wall, full lock left then right i could see the lights changing direction.
Strange as I thought the adaptive lights only worked once the car was mobile and after a certain speed.
You can set them in VCDS to "showroom mode" at which point they move at 0 speed. I have adaptive lights & they dance at start up (quite noticeable) & can sometimes seem them move when driving down a country road at night but not sure how much is the lights & how much the actual car moving from steering input.

adsgreen
Cruising

RE: Re: RE: Dynamic/adaptive headlights

Post by adsgreen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Ditto

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Mine does the start up sequence as well (so the car knows at which datum the set the light pattern) L-R-U-D. I love the adaptive lights, esp in misty lanes.
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

wolfgang
4th Gear

Post by wolfgang » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Okay, if I park facing a reflective surface then what exactly do I have to do to notice this 'dancing' effect? Do I just turn on the dipped headlights or the main beam? Also, do I need the engine running when I turn the lights on to notice the 'dancing'? I have no warning or fault lights on the dash so I presume things are working but I don't notice that effects that you guys are describing!
2007 RS4 Avant in Mugello Blue + Milltek non-res valved, MRC air filter, MRC remap with silent-mode startup

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 pm

My headlights are on auto & when I start the engine (not the ignition) they do their little dance a few seconds after it fires up.

So I would guess lights on (dipped not side lights if not auto), ignition on, start the motor & the lights should "bust a move". I think if rapid on/off they don't repeat so try it from where you are normally parked if you can.

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 pm

My lights are on auto too and as I park in forwards into a darkish garage I see the dance every time I start the engine.
Gone to the dark side

andre3k
5th Gear

Post by andre3k » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Just to emphasise my point, the dancing lights on startup are not an indication of adaptive lights.

If you're looking for confirmation of adaptive functionality then the showroom thingy mentioned above is prob more useful
Gone: Audi RS4 Avant, Alpina XD3, Smart Brabus, McLaren 12C,

Ice_Coffee
4th Gear

Post by Ice_Coffee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 pm

I have self levelling only, (non AFS) headlights on my cab, mine only go up and down on start up, but I have purchased a pair of AFS from ebay, and so will be joining the rest of the dancing light mob soon :)

DuncS3
Top Gear

Re: RE: Re: RE: Dynamic/adaptive headlights

Post by DuncS3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 am

sonny wrote:Mine does the start up sequence as well (so the car knows at which datum the set the light pattern) L-R-U-D. I love the adaptive lights, esp in misty lanes.
Drive down some twisty roads and you should easily see your light beams move with the steering wheel once over a certain angle - its pretty cool as Sonny says

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”