EPC Light

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
pad125
4th Gear

EPC Light

Post by pad125 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 am

My EPC light came on yesterday n a drive back from Cornwall, its orange and permanently lit

Do I take the appointment the dealer offered for next Wednesday by which time I will have done another 500 miles or not drive it and use the girlfriend's TT

Sims
Top Gear

Re: EPC Light

Post by Sims » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:41 am

A thread that may throw some light. I think there are others.

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... ic&t=81249

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Pad 125, it would appear the EPC light can signal a numbr of faults. Mine came on for the first time yesterday when on the trudge through the Tyne Tunnel. Switched car off and on 4 times and still remained but once out the other side of the tunnel and accelerating hard on the A19 southbound it went out never to return in the 120 miles and three journeys I did yesterday.

May be better to have it checked but could be anything from a bit of clogging in a sensor which a good blast out may clear through to something less easily rectified. My car felt no different, if you feel yours does then get it seen to.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:07 pm

have you got audi roadside? call them out

Pie
4th Gear

Post by Pie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

aka_dk wrote:have you got audi roadside? call them out
+1

You don't have to be stuck roadside for them to come see you.

I had the same fault the day I bought mine but was a couple of hours away from the dealer with another 4 hours of journey time left.
Stopped, gave them a call, told them the light was on but the car still felt "right" and got the green light from them to carry on up the road.

Booked it into my local Audi dealer the next day but had a 2 week wait for a slot so went home and phoned RAC to at least diagnose the problem. They were at my front door within half and hour.

Chances are if it's driving OK and not making any abnormal noises she'll be fine but I would still err on the side of caution and refrain from being too heavy with the right foot.

It something was seriously wrong, she would go into safe mode or you would hear / feel it.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:07 pm

when the EPC light is on, the car wont go over 7k rpm

Billy
3rd Gear

Post by Billy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:11 pm

aka_dk wrote:when the EPC light is on, the car wont go over 7k rpm
So it's useless then lol :twisted: :D

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 pm

LOL, yup, might aswel walk !

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:16 pm

aka_dk wrote:when the EPC light is on, the car wont go over 7k rpm
That's interesting because my car's EPC light came on again today in warm up mode, when I tried stretching its legs with oil temp up to 90+ C it went up to 7250rpm and then felt like the whole engine was misfiring! So sat in a car park in neutral with engine on and then did a gradual rev increase all the way through to 8250rpm and the EPC light went out at 7000rpm. Been OK since

Spoke to a 'friendly' Audi tech afterward who in Laymans terms said that the EPC light comes on when a component that goes towards the performance of an engine is faulty or the sensors that diagnose it are. When the engine management light comes on then it is more serious and you shouldn't be driving the car. Both on then stop.

Mine is likely to be either sticky throttle body, fuel pressure or air (O2 / lambda) so is booked in next week for the oil cooler recall and is being thrown on Audi diagnostic for the fault codes. Will keep you posted.

My be entirely coincidental but it is all after the time I had to fill up last week with Shell 95RON because there was no V-Power or Tesco 99 local and there has been a fair amount of soot out the back since. My car is obviously too posh on the good stuff!

pad125
4th Gear

Post by pad125 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 am

P_G wrote:My be entirely coincidental but it is all after the time I had to fill up last week with Shell 95RON because there was no V-Power or Tesco 99 local and there has been a fair amount of soot out the back since. My car is obviously too posh on the good stuff!
You know that familiar sound of a penny dropping well I couldn't find a 'decent' fuel station in Cornwall with 98 (no offence Cornwall) and 95RON was the only thing on offer......it's all beginning to make sense now and just to compound the problem by the time I went to fill up again in Preston I had the same problem.

Driving back to Middlesex this afternoon so I'll burn off this tank and fill up with the good stuff. In my 2-stroke racing days we would visit the local airfield and tip the fuel guy some readies and come away with 60 litres of 100LL, thought of giving that a try for while but I'm guessing it would need quite a few tank full’s for the engine management system to make full use of it

Thanks Graeme.

lengster1
Cruising

Post by lengster1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 am

When the EPC light came on in mine i was limited to 6k,do you think different problems raise different rpm limits? Mine had a stuck vane in the inlet manifold which was replaced

Teutonic_Tamer
2nd Gear

Post by Teutonic_Tamer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 pm

P_G wrote:So sat in a car park in neutral with engine on and then did a gradual rev increase all the way through to 8250rpm
Yikes - that is really bad for an engine - to run it to high revs like that with no load.

P_G wrote:Mine is likely to be either sticky throttle body, fuel pressure or air (O2 / lambda) so is booked in next week for the oil cooler recall and is being thrown on Audi diagnostic for the fault codes. Will keep you posted.
What oil cooler recall?? :?

P_G wrote:My be entirely coincidental but it is all after the time I had to fill up last week with Shell 95RON because there was no V-Power or Tesco 99 local and there has been a fair amount of soot out the back since. My car is obviously too posh on the good stuff!
Mine's the same whenever I've been forced to use 'pauper spec' 95RON - the rear bumper got covered in a thick layer of black soot. :shock:
Sean - Independent Motor Vehicle Tech (ret'd)
------
'07 Audi B7 RS4 (with ceramic brakes) - WOW!
'06/7 VW Golf Mk5 GTI 2.0T FSI DSG 5dr
'03 Audi B6 S4 4.2 V8 6sp man (gone)

pad125
4th Gear

Post by pad125 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:23 pm

So I jumped in the car this morning to travel south and the lights gone out. No drama'a on the journey except for another trucker falling asleep at the wheel and trying to kill me but other than that car ran fine. I still have the appointment at the dealers on Wednesday; I'm I right in thinking the error code will be stored and can be read by the dealer?

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Teutonic_Tamer wrote:
P_G wrote:So sat in a car park in neutral with engine on and then did a gradual rev increase all the way through to 8250rpm
Teutonic_Tamer wrote:Yikes - that is really bad for an engine - to run it to high revs like that with no load.
Agreed if it is repeatedly done but one offswith gradual build up of revs and short of max rpm with a gradual ramp down has not done irrevocable harm to any of my cars.
P_G wrote:Mine is likely to be either sticky throttle body, fuel pressure or air (O2 / lambda) so is booked in next week for the oil cooler recall and is being thrown on Audi diagnostic for the fault codes. Will keep you posted.
Teutonic_Tamer wrote:What oil cooler recall?? :?
Stated in another thread, oil cooler pipe chaffing inspection recall

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm

pad125 wrote:So I jumped in the car this morning to travel south and the lights gone out. No drama'a on the journey except for another trucker falling asleep at the wheel and trying to kill me but other than that car ran fine. I still have the appointment at the dealers on Wednesday; I'm I right in thinking the error code will be stored and can be read by the dealer?
yes code should still be there, get them to investigate

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”