EPC Light

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for the information. There are 19 different codes associated with the Runner positions sensor switch;

P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 1)
P2005 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 2)
P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1)
P2007 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 2)
P2008 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 1)
P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)
P2010 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit High (Bank 1)
P2011 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/Open (Bank 2)
P2012 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low (Bank 2)
P2013 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit High (Bank 2)
P2014 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit (Bank 1)
P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P2016 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 1)
P2017 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 1)
P2018 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1)
P2019 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit (Bank 2)
P2020 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)
P2021 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Low (Bank 2)
P2022 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High (Bank 2)
P2023 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)

The one I have (P2020) suggests either the sensor is not working and needs replaced or realligned / rebooted or like you say the shaft is not freely rotating. With the intermittent nature of the problem and that it is the same fault code and it can manifest itself and then disappear it appears to be suggeting it is more sensor fault than mechanical interference. So VAG-COM and the independent are suggesting anyway.

We'll see next Thursday hopefully.

2manytoys
2nd Gear

Post by 2manytoys » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:31 am

SilverRS4 - Are you sure it's only ON/OFF. I'm pretty sure Audi can read the actual position (as a percetage) of it open or closed (the half way position). I know the faults say either OPEN or CLOSED though.

silverRS4
2nd Gear

Post by silverRS4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Data-logging Group 79, Field 2 (Flap bank 1) yields either ON or OFF, which are the only two positions commanded to happen. I'm sure the output (voltage probably) of the sensors are a certain range, with voltage A (+/- accepted tolerance) corresponding to ON and voltage B (+/- accepted tolerance) corresponding to OFF. Once the output is outside the accepted tolerance, the ECM knows something is wrong and a code is thrown. I agree that reading the output of the sensor as a percentage of the sensor's range can lead you to approximate at just what angle the flaps are stuck, but that does not mean the ECM commands a range of positions rather than just two. Keep in mind that the tumble flaps are for just that - tumble. So the commanded positions are TUMBLE or NO TUMBLE. The tumble has nothing to do with variable length runners that can be found in other VAG cars. For example, the Q7 4.2L is a variable runner length manifold with tumble flaps, as is the new RS5, I believe. The B7 RS4 manifold is a fixed runner length with tumble flaps. The only thing in it that can have a variable position is the throttle plate, which is mostly controlled by your foot.

JonnyB
Neutral

Post by JonnyB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I also have this on VAG-COM: Intake manifold flap position sensor (bank1 ): implausible signal P2015 - 008 - Implausible signal - Intermittent. P G - did you get yours sorted? Is this something I can check myself - how easy is it to get the manifold off?

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I haven't had mine fixed as yet, looking to get it booked in late next week. The EPC light appears and then disappears so not too worried, the independent garage I have taken it to are going to try and reset the sensor first and if that doesn't work then replace it.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 am

PG- do you still have the 5krpm boost?
When i had epc light on and off i lost this, so although u may think there is no big issue, u may be down on power

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

aka_dk wrote:PG- do you still have the 5krpm boost?
When i had epc light on and off i lost this, so although u may think there is no big issue, u may be down on power
Still have the 5500 rpm power flap boost when EPC light is on or off yes. Hence why there are over 100 fault codes associated with the EPC light. Sounds like your fault was slightly different from mine with differing effects.

I tried 3k-8krpm test also just after the EPC light went out at the weekend and still doing 8.5 sec time with 3/4 tank of fuel on board.

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Update; after a couple of weeks of intermittent EPC light the engine management light came on yesterday. Bugger.

Anyway, managed to get Audi roadside to come out and have a look at the car this morning and all that has happened is my P2020 code has now been stored because of its frequency into the engine management memory rather then the OBD memory in them talking to each other.

The Audi (not RAC) Tech was very good and we tested the inlet manifold actuator arms on both banks to test their movement and both worked to the same range, however looking on the screen it was showing bank 2 was always at 10-13% actual angle. A bit of jiggling of the actuator arm got that down to 5% but the arm was at the 0% angle position like on bank 1. So as suspected the potentiometer (sensor) is at fault because it is not measuring correctly. If it were that the actuator arm couldn't be moved freely like the bank one arm or stuck at various return points then it would have been a new intake manifold (phew!)

Codes are cleared and if it happens again I'll need a new intake manifold tumble flap sensor on bank 2 which is what is first suspected. I'm not sure if Silver RS4 was talking about the same part, however the tumble flaps can be read from 0-99% rather than just 'on' or 'off'.

Sorry to disappoint but it ain't carbon build up. The Tech also suggested that 64k miles on one of these V8's is nothing and they see few faults with the cars, mainly sensor and occasionally vacuum system related issues.

Sims
Top Gear

Post by Sims » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:46 pm

P_G wrote:
Sorry to disappoint but it ain't carbon build up. The Tech also suggested that 64k miles on one of these V8's is nothing and they see few faults with the cars, mainly sensor and occasionally vacuum system related issues.
Delighted all is well, and that hopefully the car is ready for the European trip.

As you say, the sensor & vacuum issues keep cropping up. A sticky perhaps?

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Sims wrote:
P_G wrote:
Delighted all is well, and that hopefully the car is ready for the European trip.

As you say, the sensor & vacuum issues keep cropping up. A sticky perhaps?
Agree with all three of you :wink:

:thumbs:

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Re: EPC Light

Post by Fatneck73 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Thread resurection time 😁😁😁

Just had my EPC light up on my B7...codes P2015 and P2010...told need deflap, decoke and remap. Grrr. Booked in already.

Question though is ... why does it have flaps in the first place? I like flaps, dont get me wrong 😜...but what ‘value’ do they bring to my car?????

alexnathan
Neutral

Re: EPC Light

Post by alexnathan » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:20 pm

Pad 125, it would appear the EPC light can signal a numbr of faults. Mine came on for the first time yesterday when on the trudge through the Tyne Tunnel.

Switched car off and on 4 times and still remained but once out the other side of the tunnel and accelerating hard on the A19 southbound it went out never to return in the 120 miles and three journeys I did yesterday.

May be better to have it checked but could be anything from a bit of clogging in a sensor which a good blast out may clear through to something less easily rectified.

My car felt no different, if you feel yours does then get it seen to.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”