Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
neckarsulm
Cruising

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

Post by neckarsulm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 pm

and i'm not really reading too much into the volume argument either, in some circles, cars like XR3i / RS Turbos are considered classics and there were squillions of them built! I suppose it depends on what you believe makes a car a classic.
The only reason the Fords are seen as classic is because of the massive attrition rate - almost all those squillions are rotting away. Same reason why the Mk2 Golf GTI is still cheap in comparison, you can't kill one!
[youtube]https://youtu.be/-I1Ok9LTn6o[/youtube]

rs4v8
4th Gear

Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

Post by rs4v8 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

neckarsulm wrote:The only reason the Fords are seen as classic is because of the massive attrition rate - almost all those squillions are rotting away.
Totally! :biggrin3:

Suspect that there won't be too many RS4s running around in 25 years either tho. Fords are cheap to fix (even when they do rot), Audi's aren't, especially high revving, 4wd, v8 ones :lol:

If a simple, (barely modified from the GLX) 1.6l four pot XR3 can be a classic then I'm fairly confident an RS4 (in any guise) can be too given enough time. The fact that the B7 has been widely described to be a great car in the mass media (where the B5 didn't) will only help.
Current
'10 Nissan GT-R Black Edition, Kuro Black.
'59 Scirocco 2.0 TFSI
'09 RSV4 Factory
'08 Aprilia SXV 550
Car park in the sky
'07 RS4, Phantom black saloon
'57 Clio 197
'04 Aprilia RSVR Factory. Black.
E46 M3 SMG, Alpine white
E46 320i coupe
E36 328is coupe
VW golf VR6

Screw you guys!' - Eric Cartman

mark758
4th Gear

Post by mark758 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:09 am

The B7 RS4 is certainly an iconic car like the original Quattro was. Classic time will tell...some classic cars I wouldn't give garage room to :?
Will we see another compact, 4 door, V8, AWD, with the same measure of performance, quality and practicality ?

I'm not sure what reaction other owners get but more often than not most petrol or parking stops mean school kids to business types reacting to the car - from thumbs up signs, requests to 'hear the engine' or ex-rs4 owners saying proudly 'I had one just like that...' followed by a glum 'I had to sell it because....'

As somebody who a few months ago would be one of those to jump at the chance to get close to an RS4 and maybe talk to the owner about it it's difficult to be objective as to classic status....... but I'm pretty sure my reaction to the car is a pre-requisite for any car to become a classic :P
2013 Ibis White RS7¬
¦ParkingPackPlus¦Sunroof¦HUD¦AudiConnect¦HeatedRearSeats¦RearSideAirbags¦RedBrakeCalipers¦QuattroPuddelights¦SoftCloseDoors¦NightVision¦Dynamic Package¦CarbonPackage¦CarbonMirrors¦21" GlossBlack¦ACC¦Stop&Go¦PreSensePlus¦SideAssist¦LaneAssist¦B&O¦BlackOptics¦OEMBlackBadging¦Gyeon Q2 Duraflex¦

Contigo
Top Gear

Re: RE: Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

Post by Contigo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am

sims wrote:
Contigo wrote:NO not imo, too many made for that, don't get me wrong it's a great motor but just not going to be a cult classic like the B5.
Says a man who has a B5, and has sold the B7 :)
Indeed, but I doubt I'd rush back into a B7, not at the moment, I like my car to have the stated HP to be fair :D

I did like it but I owned at a time when residuals we awful and prices were dropping 1200 notes a month!
2001 Avus Silver RS4 B5 60k on clock, MRC Custom Remap, Sunroof, Bluetooth prep

2006 Daytona Grey RS4 B7, RNS-E - SOLD

2006 BMW M6 - GONE

philipwalker
5th Gear

RE: Re: RE: Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

Post by philipwalker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 am

It may do......

Most demand for classic cars is a result on memory`s of old cars you wanted but could not afford at the time. Todays teenagers in 15/20 years may be looking for "retro" cars from the noughtys ?

Don`t think they will match the sport quattro or the ur quattro.

You may get a good price for a RS4 with delivery millage on in 25 years but not an investment to the level of say property.
http://www.pwmotorsport.com

PW Motorsport
01437 563929

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:25 am

Agreed, playstation generation are more likely to go for Nisaan R35 GT-R than RS4, M3 or C63. The demand for the latter three will come from people who owned one previously or those who had aspired to one at some stage.

SR71
5th Gear

Post by SR71 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

I think it will become a classic.

Aside from the F430, which is in another league, what other manufacturer made a NA V8 which spins to 8250rpm and delivers crushing all weather performance at a £50K price point available in 2005?

With big displacement engines going the way of the dinosaur, the Audi V8 will be remembered for a while I suspect...

How does it stack up against its competitors: ISF, C63, E92 M3, VXR8?

Obviously the M3 has tremendous heritage, but the E30 and E46 were the M3's to admire. The E90/92 version lost its shine and arguably, no longer represents the pinnacle.

The C63? Well anyone ought to be able to make 6.2L go fast.

The ISF? 8 speed gearbox and not much else.

VXR8? Like the Merc, you ought to be able to make a supercharged bit of kit go fast.

Audi moved the game on with the B7 RS4.

Its just a shame, the rumours surrounding the RS5 don't appear to be doing the same.
58 C6 RS6 Stage 2+
58 C6 A6 Allroad 2.7 TDi

Previous:

2000 B5 S4 MRC 550 Saloon
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon
1994 S2 Coupe

Nib
2nd Gear

Post by Nib » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am

It depends upon your definition of "classic" for a start! It's certainly iconic.

Senior Porsche people reckon the GT2 is the one to have because of its "widowmaker" abilities. Apparently, they're being written off at such a rate their rarity alone will make it sought after. Does that make it a "classic"? I don't know.

It's inevitable that the B7 RS4 (in all its variants) will become sought after as the numbers thin out. Then nice, low mileage, original cars with the right options will be in demand. At the moment there are too many in regular, daily service clocking up big miles. (Mine included)

In a few years time we’ll probably all look back & think that it was one helluva good car. The V8 alone does it for me!

lengster1
Cruising

Post by lengster1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:55 am

Only time will tell......... But the b7 has made a better start to its life than the b5 did,you only have to read evo ratings and consider the lap times its capable of around various benchmark testing grounds,the b5 was more about making a point which it did very well,I personally arent fussed wether it turns into classic in future years as i will haved moved on.........

Sims
Top Gear

Post by Sims » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:57 am

P_G wrote:Agreed, playstation generation are more likely to go for Nisaan R35 GT-R than RS4, M3 or C63. The demand for the latter three will come from people who owned one previously or those who had aspired to one at some stage.

I like that, the real motoriing aficianados will appreciate the "beauty" of the German machines rather than Japanese whatever.

Not quite like Leica, Zeiss Ikon, Voigtlander, Hasselblad Versus
Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic but you hope you get my drift

sonny
Cruising

Post by sonny » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:42 pm

On a side note, at track days it draws a lot of attention, at Brands Hatch yesterday I had ppl coming up taking pics of the car (and there was a lot of other serious bits of kit there, F40, 911s etc etc) I asked them if they liked Audis, they just commented and said it looked good on the track (from spectator stand) I had the same at the Ring too, couples coming up and asking questions. So the exclusivity is there.

...and btw my first open pit track day, the car managed a 1.03 lap at BH Indy :roll:
Money can't buy you love, but it can buy you a well sorted racecar

fiberoptic
2nd Gear

Post by fiberoptic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:36 pm

The C63? Well anyone ought to be able to make 6.2L go fast.

The ISF? 8 speed gearbox and not much else.

VXR8? Like the Merc, you ought to be able to make a supercharged bit of kit go fast.

Audi moved the game on with the B7 RS4.
Absolutely.
Its just a shame, the rumours surrounding the RS5 don't appear to be doing the same.
These rumors ... don't mean much, I think. Wait and see when it comes out. Surely Audi desgned it to be better than RS4's competitors at everything and improved on the faults RS4 may have. I believe, RS5 will kick ass, but this is a bit off topic tho. The RS4 - a classic, defenitely for me.

Sims
Top Gear

Post by Sims » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:16 pm

fiberoptic wrote: These rumors ... don't mean much, I think. Wait and see when it comes out. Surely Audi desgned it to be better than RS4's competitors at everything and improved on the faults RS4 may have. I believe, RS5 will kick ass, but this is a bit off topic tho. The RS4 - a classic, defenitely for me.
How much will the RS5 weigh?

Anyone here think the RS5 will ever become more of a classic than an RS4? Is the BMW M6 a classic?

My point is that it is often the limited editon lightweight cars that achieve classic status.

mark758
4th Gear

Post by mark758 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:10 am

P_G wrote:Agreed, playstation generation are more likely to go for Nisaan R35 GT-R than RS4, M3 or C63.
Not sure, some small people told me a few weeks back that my car is 'wicked' on Forza 3? lol
2013 Ibis White RS7¬
¦ParkingPackPlus¦Sunroof¦HUD¦AudiConnect¦HeatedRearSeats¦RearSideAirbags¦RedBrakeCalipers¦QuattroPuddelights¦SoftCloseDoors¦NightVision¦Dynamic Package¦CarbonPackage¦CarbonMirrors¦21" GlossBlack¦ACC¦Stop&Go¦PreSensePlus¦SideAssist¦LaneAssist¦B&O¦BlackOptics¦OEMBlackBadging¦Gyeon Q2 Duraflex¦

ArthurPE
Cruising

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Will the B7 RS4 become a classic?

Post by ArthurPE » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:18 am

it ought to be a driveable classic in the States, only 2000 or so sold, in a Country of 300 million folks
and recently the prices have stabilized and are slightly increasing...

imo the euro (NOT US) e36 M3, the 321 HP version, is one of the finest hipo cars ever built
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”