How to - function test of Power Flap and Manifold Flaps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Steesh
Neutral

Re: How to - function test of Power Flap and Manifold Flaps

Post by Steesh » Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 am

Did mine at the weekend - well a smaller handed friend did whilst i assisted.

Solenoid must have been faulty for a while - Cracked etc and the flap was stuck shut - most likley due to not using the car over winter

Very noticeable difference now - especially at top end - even managed to experience the mythical surge at 5.5K RPM

Great guides on here helped immensely - i'd say done in under an hour but that's with two peoples and i had the bumper off last week so knew where to loosen to give a bit more room

All other flappage, flapping as a flapper should

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Mine no longer has the 5.5K surge after the stage 2 MRC tune - I am not sure if the map codes it out [or maybe because doug removed the flap runners when he did the decoke?]
Can anyone else with a MRC stage 2 confirm if they still have this nice feature at 5.5k

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm

sync24 wrote:Mine no longer has the 5.5K surge after the stage 2 MRC tune - I am not sure if the map codes it out [or maybe because doug removed the flap runners when he did the decoke?]
Can anyone else with a MRC stage 2 confirm if they still have this nice feature at 5.5k
Kev, mine still has the surge at 5k - sport the map kicks in sooner than that - 3.5k onwards...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu May 15, 2014 7:46 am

Stage 2 mrc remap sorts the cam profile change so no 5.5 kick (or much reduced).
But not a bad thing as they are increasing low down power so the jump to the power profile is less obvious.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Thu May 15, 2014 8:41 am

adsgreen wrote:Stage 2 mrc remap sorts the cam profile change so no 5.5 kick (or much reduced).
But not a bad thing as they are increasing low down power so the jump to the power profile is less obvious.
I think the MRC stage 2 map in sport is quite 'aggressive' low down and throughout but I still recall a surge at 5k+ on mine - the flaps still open in non-sport at 5k so I suspect there's something occurring at that point - I'll check it later on again for sure, but it is indeed a noticeable power profile lower down...
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 am

neilparf wrote:
adsgreen wrote:Stage 2 mrc remap sorts the cam profile change so no 5.5 kick (or much reduced).
I think the MRC stage 2 map in sport is quite 'aggressive' low down and throughout but I still recall a surge at 5k+ on mine - the flaps still open in non-sport at 5k so I suspect there's something occurring at that point - I'll check it later on again for sure, but it is indeed a noticeable power profile lower down...
Stage 2 also by default applied linear throttle mapping so it'll certainly feel a bit perky too :)
On oem there's a lot going on at 5k of which the airbox flap is only but one aspect :)

Personally I loathe and detest the 5k kick - it just means that prior to this things were not as they could be.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 am

adsgreen wrote:
neilparf wrote:
Stage 2 also by default applied linear throttle mapping so it'll certainly feel a bit perky too :)
On oem there's a lot going on at 5k of which the airbox flap is only but one aspect :)

Personally I loathe and detest the 5k kick - it just means that prior to this things were not as they could be.
Yes, sorry my bad - I referred to the exhaust flaps opening at 5k non-sport and yes, the liner throttle aspect makes it feel a different drive completely.

The 5k kick is a wait and I don't like that fact you have to 'work' at getting to 5k for any responsiveness - if you know what I mean. Like you say, the MRC Stage 2 map makes that pre-5k more useable; you don't always have to wait to get to 5k for some action :)

The power flap then is not employed as much mapped vs OEM - having said that, it's all vacuum connected and a good policy to have everything working as it should :thumb:

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu May 15, 2014 12:52 pm

neilparf wrote:Yes, sorry my bad - I referred to the exhaust flaps opening at 5k non-sport and yes, the liner throttle aspect makes it feel a different drive completely.

The 5k kick is a wait and I don't like that fact you have to 'work' at getting to 5k for any responsiveness - if you know what I mean. Like you say, the MRC Stage 2 map makes that pre-5k more useable; you don't always have to wait to get to 5k for some action :)
The thing is nothing is consistent - manifold flaps are at about 3-3.5k rpm, the exhaust flaps are 4krpm, the airbo flap 5.5k rpm
The power flap then is not employed as much mapped vs OEM - having said that, it's all vacuum connected and a good policy to have everything working as it should :thumb:
Or removed (I'm de-airboxed flapped and de manifold flapped)

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Thu May 15, 2014 1:16 pm

I don't think the airbox flap itself opening has much to do with the "surge" at 5.5k

I have neither the airbox flap (or manifold flaps) and the 5.5k surge is very clear. With the water meth on it feels like a small turbo has kicked in! I'm assuming that the water meth giving very cool intake air is enhancing what the ECU is looking for at the point it opens the airbox flap.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Thu May 15, 2014 2:40 pm

adsgreen wrote:
neilparf wrote:Yes, sorry my bad - I referred to the exhaust flaps opening at 5k non-sport and yes, the liner throttle aspect makes it feel a different drive completely.

The thing is nothing is consistent - manifold flaps are at about 3-3.5k rpm, the exhaust flaps are 4krpm, the airbo flap 5.5k rpm
Or removed (I'm de-airboxed flapped and de manifold flapped)
Fair point. Now, thinking about that it makes little difference and I suspect it's down to the MRC map. I don't have the manifold flaps (as removed by MRC), so prior to sorting the air box functionality I still had the 'surge' pre and post map - but for obvious reason more noticeable post...

Oh, I'm a sucker for everything working just 'so' :wink:

sync24
5th Gear

Post by sync24 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:02 pm

MRC said:

"The kick is there when cams change. The kick is not really there when the flaps in the manifold fail to open at all(it is not the point at where they open) so it is a lot flatter than it should be, or the carbon is that bad that it restricts air it doesn’t. Pull a vacuum line off with engine not running and see if it hisses."

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Thu May 15, 2014 3:43 pm

sync24 wrote:MRC said:

"The kick is there when cams change. The kick is not really there when the flaps in the manifold fail to open at all(it is not the point at where they open) so it is a lot flatter than it should be, or the carbon is that bad that it restricts air it doesn’t. Pull a vacuum line off with engine not running and see if it hisses."
That makes sense actually...

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I had a play with my shiny new VCDS today.
- no ticking of the solenoid for the “Intake Air Switch Over Valve”
- ticking but no movement of the white plastic arms for “Intake Manifold bank 1”

Goes some way to explaining why the car isn’t making good 3-8k times!

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:00 pm

no ticking- dead solenoid.
ticking but no moving - vacuum issue or dead actuator. Given each bank has it's own actuator suggests that it may be a vacuum issue.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 pm

It's a great test, but when something out of this test fails, other than a quick solenoid switch it can be a ball ache to ascertain the issue... :audibash:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”