Inlet Flaps

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
delroyx
1st Gear

Inlet Flaps

Post by delroyx » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:24 am

Another post about inlet flaps.

Burty's recent post where he is moving on from his RS4 has got me worried. He highlights he had an expensive ownership experience due to a manifold flap bolt coming loose & costing a few quid to rectify

I'm not sure if my car has had the flaps removed. It was carbon cleaned before I bought it but there is no mention of the flap delete on the paperwork.

The car has a definite stutter when cold - which can be a symptom of the flaps being removed but not definitive.

Is there a test using VCDS I could do to measure air flow in the manifold which may give me a better indication?

I know I can check the operation of the flaps but if the actuators & arms are still present, this doesn't give me the answer if the flaps are attached or not.

I could physically remove the manifold, but this seems like a lot of effort to just check the flaps.

Any thoughts are very welcome.

Thanks

delroyx
1st Gear

Re: Inlet Flaps

Post by delroyx » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 pm

Anyone got any ideas of how to check other than removing the manifold?

Burty
Neutral

Post by Burty » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:53 am

Hi
I understand your concern - I'd suggest giving Martin at Unit20 a call who I'm sure will give you some good advice - he was always very helpful whenever I rang him about issues.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:12 pm

One idea, i have mine off atm so made a video.

When the flaps are fitted, actuating the shaft by hand should feel them provide a positive stop as they contact the manifold wall.

No sure what the procedure is for de-flap, is the shaft locked? Otherwise it will rotate until the actuator hits its limit.
Either way, it will feel different.

https://youtu.be/m-0X08i4zRE
06 - B7 RS4 Saloon - Milltek Non-Res Valved. BMC Filter.

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:15 am

lugars4 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:12 pm
One idea, i have mine off atm so made a video.

When the flaps are fitted, actuating the shaft by hand should feel them provide a positive stop as they contact the manifold wall.

No sure what the procedure is for de-flap, is the shaft locked? Otherwise it will rotate until the actuator hits its limit.
Either way, it will feel different.

https://youtu.be/m-0X08i4zRE
That might be worth a try. Might give me more of an idea. I'll have a look tomorrow & report back what I reckon! :thumbs:

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:30 am

Hmmmm, now I'm not sure. There is definitely a tapping noise but it seems at the bulkhead end. I don't know if there would be a limit point without the flaps where the runner sits/rotates.

Either way, the manifold will have to come off!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”