All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
lugars4
3rd Gear

Re: All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

Post by lugars4 » Thu May 30, 2024 11:09 pm

Great work there.

So i'm certain my DRC needs charging, looking forward to seeing what pressure the system holds since it had new shocks 33k miles ago.
I have some ideas on how the charging tool could fail to provice an air-free charge if care is not taken.
I've frustratingly not been happy with the knocking for many years, its worse on speed humps, which i now realise is a big clue to it being DRC related.
Having replaced all front bushes now, it is the shocks for sure.

Tool is coming together to enable this to be DIY and an easy regular maintenance check, i am keen to keep the DRC, its a great system.

I understand people may be intersted in this so will start a new post shortly and all going well, open up a group buy to supply the tool to other enthusiasts. This is the prototype using some various parts i had and custom parts to finish it off.
2024-05-30 21.25.50.jpg
06 - B7 RS4 Saloon - Milltek Non-Res Valved. BMC Filter.

QuRace
Neutral

Re: All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

Post by QuRace » Fri May 31, 2024 7:23 am

lugars4 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 11:09 pm
Tool is coming together to enable this to be DIY and an easy regular maintenance check, i am keen to keep the DRC, its a great system.

I understand people may be intersted in this so will start a new post shortly and all going well, open up a group buy to supply the tool to other enthusiasts. This is the prototype using some various parts i had and custom parts to finish it off.
Drool... Can't wait to read that one - esp. the part where you reveal to the world where you sourced the connectors from the flex lines to the shocks. That's where I got stuck when I researched this...

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Fri May 31, 2024 8:18 am

The connectors took years to find and had to buy a whole lot. Cost a small fortune but will be worth it if gives a few people their own tool to use at home.
IMG_5982.jpeg

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Fri May 31, 2024 8:59 am

Yes it will be the DRC. Hopefully a recharge will sort it. If it’s not the shocks it could be the valves at the rear of the car.

I managed to buy a DRC filling tool that another owner created. Only got it a few weeks ago. It even has electronic vacuum so no need for a compressor. It can also check the pressure and adjust without having to drain it all.

Amazing piece of engineering. All neatly packaged in a carry case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Fri May 31, 2024 1:44 pm

Interesting bit of kit there!

I am interested to know what vacuum level it can achieve. The original Audi work instruction says stop and hold at -0.9 barg. But the pressure gauge resolution was awful to confirm that in practice.
This is down to the vacuum pump they put on the kit, its run off an air line and uses a venturi effect, they struggle to get below 90% vacuum in practice.
Ex: https://docs.rs-online.com/79b2/A700000006990641.pdf

So the instruction is to leave 10% of the air in the system.....

Im going for a decent vacuum pump to get down to -0.99barg / >99% vacuum.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:39 pm

After a very long wait, hopefully worth it, my Endless pads have arrived!

The fronts come with backing pads, rears dont, will see how they go, i have seen people take the backing pads off their existing pads to use on endless, not sure if it will be needed on the rear, i trust their R&D it wont as a starting point.

Here's to less brake dust, better performance, less rotor wear and a bit of fun.
2024-06-19 21.19.54.jpg
2024-06-19 21.21.57.jpg
2024-06-19 21.21.23.jpg
2024-06-19 21.20.34.jpg

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:42 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:59 am
Yes it will be the DRC. Hopefully a recharge will sort it. If it’s not the shocks it could be the valves at the rear of the car.

I managed to buy a DRC filling tool that another owner created. Only got it a few weeks ago. It even has electronic vacuum so no need for a compressor. It can also check the pressure and adjust without having to drain it all.

Amazing piece of engineering. All neatly packaged in a carry case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking at your kit again, i would be curious to test that vacuum pump capability before connecting to your car, all the small vac pumps of that nature dont achieve much vacuum at all, you have a reasonable vac gauge on there, see what it can pull against a valved off outlet?
If there is a part number on the vac pump, a quick lookup could answer it too.
Would be a shame if it couldnt pull the air out and made things worse.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:12 pm

Hi. I've not yet tested it yet, but note that there are two pumps and the guy who designed it said that one wasn't sufficient. The second pump is further inside the setup.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:59 am

Interesting, i would definatly do a test against the vac gauge before connecting to the car just in case. Im sure he had the Audi procedure and will have known you need -0.9 barg at least, so im just curious what pump he put on as small 12v vac pumps dont give good vacuum from what i could find.

Let us know how you get on!

I will hopefully finish my build shortly and be running a list of tests on my car looking to remove and residual air in the system and monitor the pressure over time and season (winter the car was worse, low ambient = lower pressure in the accumulator gas charge), which if the system pressure is borderline low, will mean its likely to be worse in the cold.

NicR
Neutral

Post by NicR » Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:49 am

lugars4 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:09 am
delroyx wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:03 pm
How much was the grille? Did you buy the whole lot? I always thought they were very expensive compared to non-RS ones
Friend got it for me £500, complete yes. will sell my one on for £250 going by ebay prices. So not horrific.... Buy yes expensive...
Hey - can he get me one ? Would be very interested to know where you can still get them ! Also saw you got a quote for a new water pump - these seem quite difficult to get hold of these days (the whole thing, including the plastic housing) - where was this from ? On a slight tangent you can get hold of the S4 ones (for a B7) much more easily - but do they fit ?

Nice write-up by the way - will be a useful reference for a lot of people.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”